Technical Information FK8 Civic Type R intake test
Hondata tested 6 intakes and developed a scientific repeatable test procedure to evaluate the differences.
- The stock intake had the lowest IAT2 throughout the dyno run
- The stock intake gave the most torque and power under 3400 rpm and above 5700 rpm.
- The power range from best to worst was around 17HP.
The low IAT2 readings of the stock intake indicates it does a better job of drawing external cold air than the other intakes. Colder denser air improves turbo spool, power and torque.
- Hood closed
- Three cooling fans
- 91 octane Hondata reflash
Beginning of testing stock 23 +- 0.5 C
- Load the dyno lightly for 30 seconds to stabilize IAT2 (at ~ 23C for the stock intake)
- Start the dyno run at ECT of 80C +- 0.5˚
- Dyno pulls from 1500-6900 rpm at 500 rpm/second
- Make three runs with a two minute gap between runs cooling ECT to below 80˚
Data analysis process
- Discard Run 1 data as the engine and turbo has cooled between air intake changes.
- Average runs 2 and 3
- Evaluate IAT 2 for each intake
Stock intake IAT2 vs RPM
AEM intake IAT2 vs RPM