Question about Knock Retard

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
codyFB6

Question about Knock Retard

Post by codyFB6 »

Hey guys,

I am trying to make sense of how the user guide describes how you will see KR without any knock counts. When I read the knock control tables section it looks to me as if you must have knock happening you visually see it recorded. If the ECU applies a reduction in timing but no noise is picked up it is considered a “no knock event” but if the ECU deems knock is occurring you will see KR... So my question is, if I do not see knock count every time I see Knock Retard does that mean the sensors are deeming there are knocks occurring just not to a “level high enough” or something to show up on my app as a knock count?

I get KR periodically driving around I very very rarely see knock counts and typically not side by side, the KR will be on a small pull while I typically only see counts on occasional take offs.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Question about Knock Retard

Post by Spunkster »

Without examples of what you are describing, it's hard to speculate.
codyFB6

Re: Question about Knock Retard

Post by codyFB6 »

Spunkster wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:07 pm Without examples of what you are describing, it's hard to speculate.
I can check my logs tonight and see if I show anything. But to try to describe it, say I am taking off on a hill, I may see KR go to around 2 degrees and then immediately goes to 0. I also see knock control moving down when I see KR but no knock event.

I also will see KR on start up or shut off from time to time. Any reasoning on that?