Can anyone help me setup a base map for my kswap Lotus?

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
CalibratEd

Re: Can anyone help me setup a base map for my kswap Lotus?

Post by CalibratEd »

What kind of spark plugs are you running? Where is your Intake air temperature sensor located? Your IATs are high causing the engine to pull timing.

-Ed
Instagram: calibrated.tuning
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Create a normal driving log and only 1 WOT pull. I reduced the timing and adjusted fuel. Lets see if it will help reduce the knock.

-Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev10.kal
(24.61 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
saxon_schmauderer

Post by saxon_schmauderer »

Here is the log from a drive and doing one WOT pull in second gear to 7500rpms:
8-18 log.kdl
(9 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
As for the temp sensor I have the factory one in the factory location (maybe it is time to go aftermarket). I feel like the baseline temp is off. I think it starts out at 110 degrees with no boost as soon as the engine turns on. (I will look into the IATs) and bring them where they need to be. I do have a good size intercooler and I have a turbo blanket to help with heat-soak. I may need to do more.

These are the new plugs that i bought and they come in on Monday. They are supposedly better for this application:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203269049050

There was NO knock even at 7500rpms so that is good. Things are going smoothly.

Thanks again
-Saxon
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Those spark plugs should be ok. I cleaned up fuel and we are now moving to VTC 10. Make sure to let the car reach operating temperature before dataloging. Create a normal driving log.

-Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev11.kal
Moving to VTC 10
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
saxon_schmauderer

Not to shabby. See attached:
8-19-22.kdl
(7.68 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Fuel was not to far off and only a bit of knock present. Create another datalog with a WOT pull in 3rd gear. Make sure to hold the car at 3000RPM for about 5 seconds before you WOT the car.

-Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev12.kal
(25.05 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
saxon_schmauderer

Replaced with the spark plugs and gapped to .25 like we discussed in previous messages.

Ran 3rd gear at 3k rpm for 5 seconds and then WOT - it felt like it did a boost cut before I was able to fully rev it. Almost like where it completely pulls power. I tried it a few times and had the same situation each time. See the attached doc:
run 8-26-22.kdl
(735.4 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
saxon_schmauderer

Also (This has been happening for awhile - not a recent change), but after the car fully warms up (After I go do a run down the road). When I get it home and in the garage is has the hardest time idling. It sits there and surges in rpm over and over again and eventually stalls. From watching it, it looks like it is trying to chase a good AFR but is bouncing between 14.x to 18.x

I attached a snippet of what that looks like before it usually stalls:
surging.kdl
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
thanks!
-Saxon
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

saxon_schmauderer wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:55 pm Also (This has been happening for awhile - not a recent change), but after the car fully warms up (After I go do a run down the road). When I get it home and in the garage is has the hardest time idling. It sits there and surges in rpm over and over again and eventually stalls. From watching it, it looks like it is trying to chase a good AFR but is bouncing between 14.x to 18.x

I attached a snippet of what that looks like before it usually stalls:

surging.kdl

thanks!
-Saxon
The car hit boost cut. I increased the boost cut so you can make a full run. I looked over the surging log and I would double check nothing is coming loose after the hard pull. I this is happening when you take the car on a normal drive?

Create a log per instruction in previous post.

-Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev12.kal
(25.05 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
saxon_schmauderer

I'll do another drive when I get into town on Friday, but yeah this surging happens everytime I drive the car when it's warmed up. Not specifically after doing a pull or anything. Normal driving once it gets up to temp it will do this and eventually stall. It runs great until then.

I let it cool down for an hour, drive it again and it idles great until it warms up fully again.
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

saxon_schmauderer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:11 pm I'll do another drive when I get into town on Friday, but yeah this surging happens everytime I drive the car when it's warmed up. Not specifically after doing a pull or anything. Normal driving once it gets up to temp it will do this and eventually stall. It runs great until then.

I let it cool down for an hour, drive it again and it idles great until it warms up fully again.
It could be a vacuum leak caused by something expanding after it has warmed up. Just double check before I start troubleshooting on my end.

-Ed
saxon_schmauderer

I must have misspoke, (sorry for the confusion), but the car is surging at idle when the car is cold too. Here is a log from the car with the latest tune you gave me:
surging cold.kdl
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
-Saxon
saxon_schmauderer

OK, so you were right. There was a vacuum leak on an injector that was causing the surging. Fixed that and tye car is running much better now. I will get you that WOT 3rd gear pull shortly so we can move forward.

Didn't want you to waste more of your time troubleshooting.

Thanks
-Saxon
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

saxon_schmauderer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:29 pm OK, so you were right. There was a vacuum leak on an injector that was causing the surging. Fixed that and tye car is running much better now. I will get you that WOT 3rd gear pull shortly so we can move forward.

Didn't want you to waste more of your time troubleshooting.

Thanks
-Saxon
Saxon,

Sounds great. I am glad you figured it out.

-Ed
saxon_schmauderer

Ed,

See attached for the datalog from tonight's run. I tried again to do a WOT at in 3rd gear (after holding 3k for 5 seconds). Well, needless to say it seemed almost like it hit boost cut again at around 5800 rpms. I tried it a couple times just to verify (and watch my boost gauge). The highest boost I saw was 13.7 so it shouldn't have been hitting boost cut.

See here:
9-10 datalog.kdl
(3.24 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
p.s. it seemed my old Wideband died on me so I threw a new one in. The config I had to change was the Analog Input from AEM 30-0300 to what I have now - AEM 30-0310. Seems to be working great.

-Saxon