S300V3 / P28 ECU issues

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
kraquepype

S300V3 / P28 ECU issues

Post by kraquepype »

Hello, I've had sporadic issues with my S300V3 on my P28 ECU. I'd like to understand more if I should suspect the S300 module or the ECU.

1) First is the O2 reading, its stuck at 3.8v and sometimes jumps all over the place. I had a thread here: http://www.hondata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24856

2) There is also sporadic limp mode, if you can call it that. Sometimes after starting the car (usually warm) it will cut out and feel like its hitting a fuel cut. After waiting a few minutes its fine. I have not been able to log the issue.

3) Speaking of logs, datalogging is hit or miss. I am using the SCS jumper as the trigger for the onboard datalogging, and lately I get a lot of corrupt or empty logs. This is making it hard to fine tune.

4) Sporadic corruption - sometimes the ECU will get into a corrupt state and requires a re-write of the calibration to clear it up. Online datalogging also returns corrupt information in this state, showing 20k RPM and 1000mph readings for example.

How can I rule out the S300 and/or ECU? I wanted some input before I get into repair/replacement/etc of parts.

I am using resistor plugs and NGK plug leads, stock ignition.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: S300V3 / P28 ECU issues

Post by Spunkster »

What is the serial umber that is on the s300 board inside the ECU?

From Help, About, what is the version of software you are using?

Who socketed your ECU?
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

The number on the box is 42965, its handwritten so I assume thats the serial. I'll have to take it out of the car if that isn't it.

Version of SManager is 2.7.7.0

HAMotorsports sold me the ECU/S300v3 together as a package.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have the capacitors been replaced in the ECU?
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

It was an HAMotorsports ECU, they are supposed to replace them.

Could this behavior be explained with failing caps? I can always recap it again myself.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Its a possibility, if they were not replaced, or are faulty.
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

The caps all look new and seem to be good. There was one pin on the latch chip that looked suspect, I reflowed them all. Still no difference really.

At this point I'm willing to try another ECU and see if I can rule it out.

I did get to drive it tonight and I went through my normal issues. It starts, idles, fine, even in the cold. I had adjusted something in the datalogging and I guess the calibration upload corrupted something. It goes into what I call limp mode but it feels more like a fuel cut - if I go past a certain amount of load the engine feels like it hits a fuel cut and the AFR leans out. I limped it over to a spot I can look at it, and after shutting off / re-uploading and restarting it was fine. The problem with this is I can't really tell it has this issue until I start driving, and by the time I notice its a nerve wracking experience of pulling over and fixing it.

The car drives and feels great overall afterward. I picked up dinner and heading out I hit the fuel cut / limp mode again, but this time I got a datalog of it. The issue clears after a few seconds and it responds normally again. Its really bizarre.

The datalog shows a spike where everything goes crazy, there shows to be a drop in voltage to 8v, which might explain why the readings are so whacked out. I will try to see if theres a wiring issue next time its warm out.

Another oddity is with datalogging. I noticed that time moves twice as fast in my datalogs - for example if I enable onboard logging for 15 seconds, it records a 30 second datalog. I don't know if its normal but right now its just another issue on top of my growing list.

I've attached the datalog that shows the spike and voltage drop.
wtf_1.s3d
(130.06 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Does it do this if you datalog directly using the laptop?
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

Hi, logging via the cable works as expected, no issues.

I drove it recently and encountered the limp mode / hesitation, and this time when I enabled datalogging the ECU logged multiple rev limiter logs. I've attached the datalog.

There was no voltage drop this time, and I have no settings that should be triggering a rev limiter at such a low RPM - the datalogs look normal except for the rev limit, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

This clears within a minute and the car behave normally.
Attachments
wtf_4.s3d
(105.99 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What frequency do you have on-board datalogging set to in your calibration?

Post the calibration that the datalog was made with.
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

Sure, I've attached it.
b16b_rdx.skl
(44.63 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Try setting the on-board datalogging to 25 Hz.
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

I neglected to mention, I tried the frequency at 15 and 25hz and it was the same result.

Still waiting on a cap kit and might try replacing the latch chip, not sure what else to do. Is there any places in the calibration I should look at for why the rev limiter was triggering?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If you unplug the analog input to the s300 does the problem persist?
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

No analog inputs are hooked up right now, I assume you are referring to the 2246 sensor enabled in the analog inputs... I was planning on setting those up but haven't yet and I guess I saved a calibration with it by accident. It shouldn't be a problem to have it enabled in the calibration right?