Stock S2K Premature Rev Limiter

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2009 (US, UK, Asia) S2000
s2kyee

Stock S2K Premature Rev Limiter

Post by s2kyee »

Hello!

I've been trying to diagnose an issue with rev range and hitting a 7.5k 'rev limit'. Stock AP2 (2009) with 170k miles. Recently purchased and discovered C3 had a burnt exhaust valve (CEL on the drive home from buying! :().

I've replaced and checked just about every gasket on the engine. New head gasket when reassembling - intake and exhaust gaskets as well for good measure. I've checked/cleaned the cat to ensure there's no blockage.

99% of the time the engine bounces off of ~7.5k RPM as if it's a rev limiter.

I bought a FlashPro to determine what's going on (was hoping the stock Hondata tune would fix the problem). So I have logs and the map (attached).

I noticed my throttle pedal sensor goes crazy when it's hitting that rev limiter, but I'm not sure if that's a problem or a symptom.

Anything stand out or sound familiar to anyone? :(

Thanks!
Attachments
S2000-US-1.fpcal
Map
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
UtahS2k.fpdl
Datalog
(278.58 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
EFICU

Re: Stock S2K Premature Rev Limiter

Post by EFICU »

So you had the same issue with the "rev limit" at 7500 with the OEM tune in it? This didn't start when you uploaded a calibration via FlashPro?
s2kyee

Post by s2kyee »

EFICU wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:06 pm So you had the same issue with the "rev limit" at 7500 with the OEM tune in it? This didn't start when you uploaded a calibration via FlashPro?
Yes - idk if it was OEM tune (bought used, 3rd owner) but it was owned by pretty tame though maintenance lacking individuals. No mods aside from a K&N air filter. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to drive it hard before immediately having to pull the head to replace the burnt valve. So my reference is nonexistent for what's new since replacing the head. Hoping someone is able to determine from the data and their knowledge of the car what it could be.

I'm using 10w30 High Mileage Mobil 1
I've noticed oil leaking from the TCT - figured it was the triangle o-ring but after driving today (with the Hondata tune and datalogging), there's fresh drops of oil around the TCT. I'm going to pull it and replace the 2 o-rings - assuming those are the source/cause of the oil drips. Not sure that would cause the 7.5k rev limit issue though (due to oil pressure loss?)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Don't use Mobile 1, use Calstrol Syntec instead.
s2kyee

Post by s2kyee »

Yeah, going to switch next time but it is the Mobil 1 Extended Performance, which is supposedly decent (according to the s2ki forums).

If anyone is able to look at the data or has data requests, please let me know if you see anything - open to testing/trying just about anything at this point :(
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If you return to stock and it still has a problem, then you will have to determine if it is a wiring issue, or a mechanical issue.
s2kyee

Post by s2kyee »

That's what I'm trying to determine - I was hoping the Hondata datalog info would help but I'm not seeing anything myself. But I don't have any experience with this stuff - just an enthusiast and a novice at that :D
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If it is doing it stock and there are no errors, then I would recommend having a Honda dealer or a qualified shop look at it.
s2kyee

Post by s2kyee »

Sigh - cam timing was aligned to the red mark, instead of the white mark.

Issue resolved. Unbelievable