About to get a flashpro and HR CAI and have a question

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
tombiddle839

About to get a flashpro and HR CAI and have a question

Post by tombiddle839 »

Hello all, new to this forum so woohoo first post. I just purchased a Hybrid Racing cold air intake 3.5inch and I know there is a base map on hondata for it but am curious if it is map or maf based. I also have a flashpro coming as well. I have little knowledge on tuning except what a fuel map is and a/f ratios and a little bit info on other data, but can say certainly that I have no idea what I would be doing if I messed around and tried tuning it manually. I keep seeing someone called EFICU going around helping everyone out, so if you can assist me, please reply. I am thinking about doing a header and exhaust system later but that would be much later in the future. I appreciate any feedback y'all give!
EFICU

Re: About to get a flashpro and HR CAI and have a question

Post by EFICU »

Welcome to the Hondata platform Tom...

I would have to see the calibration you're referring to for the HR intake to see if it is MAP or MAF. It has to be MAP to make your car run right, which I am sure you know since you referenced it. If you want to use a Hondata basemap we can go that route, or we can use my stuff which is based off the HR intake to get you started.

When is your FP being delivered? I'm guessing you're waiting until the FP shows up to install the intake?

How far in the future are you planning on doing a header and exhaust? Near future, or down the road somewhere?
tombiddle839

Post by tombiddle839 »

The flashpro is still in the process of being ordered but isn't too far to ship luckily, I presume it will come by the end of this coming week if the seller keeps me updated. The CAI is going to arrive by the end of the week as well. Definitely going to wait for the flashpro to put the cold air intake on. As for what calibration I was referring to, I just meant the basemap that you can load from hondata, I did not know there were different kinds. Which route would be best to go from, yours or a basemap? I presume yours would be best to start with since you've done this a few times. The header and exhaust would likely be next summer, since winter in Ohio is hellish. Also I have a AEM Short ram intake currently that I plan to switch back on when winter hits, just to save me the piece of mind of worrying about getting my cold air intake all salted and spray it with junk from the roads so I would also like to get a tune to run my AEM Short ram better since right now without a flash pro it throws a code that I am running rich.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good, it's always anxious moments while your FlashPro is in transit, haha. Same with the intake, I get antsy when I have tracking numbers and know something is on the way when it's car parts.

I see, yeah Hondata provides a list of basemaps you can choose from to get you going. Most are MAF based, but some of them are MAP based. Starting you on mine would get us in the ballpark quicker IMO. It has all the strategies and stuff already there to get going with. Since you only plan to run the intake for now, we should tune it the long way where we tune each cam angle individually, then blend things out. Being such a simple setup, we're probably looking at 8-10 revisions. The short way can probably be done in 4-5, barring now mechanical issues or knock issues. The burden of time falls on you as the datalogs need to be 20-30 minutes, so it all depends on your free time to make datalogs.

Yeah with the SRI and the HR intake, you will most likely need two tunes to make sure it's good. The HR intake is very different from the AEM, so the best bet would be to make two calibrations which is very easy. We can always check though, tune it for the HR intake, then have you make a datalog with the AEM intake whenever you switch to it for winter. It might be close enough to leave alone, but I would bet the best route is two calibrations. The only change would be fueling needed. I have a customer right now who made a winter short ram version of his Hybrid racing intake. Not sure how he did it, but you could try something like that too.

Just keep me in the loop on the FlashPro and the intake. In the meantime, you might go and download the Flashpro Manager software and get acquainted with it. That way you can sort of look around and learn a little bit about it this week.
tombiddle839

Post by tombiddle839 »

Quick update, just went and lashed my valve clearances today and must have done something wrong because my engine is now tapping and idle is rough. Going to have to get it done professionally sadly. If I may ask, what do you charge for these tunes and revisions and such?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Man I hate when you try to do the right thing and something goes wrong. Just keep me in the loop on it all and let me know when you have the FlashPro and everything ready to go on so we can get you set up.

I'll shoot you a PM.
Shanehaley41

Post by Shanehaley41 »

I just got my HR CAI and a J35 TB. I put them on and loaded the FG2/FA5, MAP based, CAI, Skunk2 header & catback. I have a 1320 race header and Skunk2 cat back. So when I was loading the MAP i noticed that the RPM gauge never moved during the programing is that supposed to do that? The MAF base map the guage moved through the full range of RPM's to me that feels like its doing something. Well the car ran horrible. So after much staring at the engine bay I just took the HR CAI off and put the AEM SRI back on and loaded my old tune and still ran like crap. So I took j35 off and put back on stock TB and the HR CAI back on loaded that MAP i mentioned above and it runs fine but I don't feel any difference in performance. So is the "RACE" "MAP" tunes supposed to not move the RPM gauge? EFICU I may need to get one of your tunes for this thing if you see this. I'm getting the Skunk2 manifold next so maybe the TB won't cause any turbulence. I'm really just throwing money into the wind on this 2007 Civic SI but i love this car and I like wrenching and bolt ons are fun.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Shanehaley41 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:10 pm I just got my HR CAI and a J35 TB. I put them on and loaded the FG2/FA5, MAP based, CAI, Skunk2 header & catback. I have a 1320 race header and Skunk2 cat back. So when I was loading the MAP i noticed that the RPM gauge never moved during the programing is that supposed to do that? The MAF base map the guage moved through the full range of RPM's to me that feels like its doing something. Well the car ran horrible. So after much staring at the engine bay I just took the HR CAI off and put the AEM SRI back on and loaded my old tune and still ran like crap. So I took j35 off and put back on stock TB and the HR CAI back on loaded that MAP i mentioned above and it runs fine but I don't feel any difference in performance. So is the "RACE" "MAP" tunes supposed to not move the RPM gauge? EFICU I may need to get one of your tunes for this thing if you see this. I'm getting the Skunk2 manifold next so maybe the TB won't cause any turbulence. I'm really just throwing money into the wind on this 2007 Civic SI but i love this car and I like wrenching and bolt ons are fun.
I would make the assumption that since you installed the J35 TB that it needed to have the idle relearn process done. Not all cars need it after installing the J35, but that could be what you experienced. I would think the basemap you installed would idle fine and run okay, but who knows. I don't remember if the race maps sweep or not, I don't use race maps. They aren't recommended at all anymore.

I would recommend installing the HR intake again, along with the J35, then keep me in the loop as to when you install them and I can send you a basemap to get started. I've tuned a ton of these with those mods, so if it runs odd on mine, or after a revision or two, then something mechanically would be wrong. But tuning it for the mods you have and want to install would be the best way to do it, rather than just letting them sit in your house.

Go ahead and make your own thread in this same forum so we can discuss things further.