Need Help Tuning 2012 Civic SI Sedan

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

Nightk1ds

Need Help Tuning 2012 Civic SI Sedan

Post by Nightk1ds »

Hi guys,

I just purchased a Hondata Flashpro for my 2012 civic SI Sedan and was wondering if I can get some assistance tuning off the base map that the hondata flashpro comes with. I'll see if I can get some logs tomorrow with a wot pull in 3rd. This is my first time tuning but I have some mechanical knowledge.

Thank you guys again for your time and support!
Nightk1ds

Re: Need Help Tuning 2012 Civic SI Sedan

Post by Nightk1ds »

Hey Guys, Here are some logs I gathered today, with the home log the AC was on. I may need to do a better WOT in 3rd since I didn't have much space to do it in. I'll see if I can get a better pull in the morning.
Attachments
10-1-21 home midday.fpdl
(344.09 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Drive 10-1-21.fpdl
(401.25 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Flashpro 2012 Si Factory Tune.fpcal
(21.17 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

What mods if any are done to the car?

What are the future mods planned for the car and how far out will you be doing those? Trying to find out what you have now and what your future plans are before we get too far.
Nightk1ds

Post by Nightk1ds »

Hey EFICU

All I have done to the car is a 70mm Nvidia N1 Catback. I'm going to end up trying to get a rv6 downpipe in the next couple months but other than mods that's it. I'm not going to bother with a CAI since I live in FL and don't wanna risk hydrolock. The Calibration file I provided I believe is the MAP tune. There's a MAF tune that I'll post the logs of as well.

Thanks again man!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Gotcha. I don't blame you on the hydrolock, I hear Florida weather is temper mental to say the least. If I can make one suggestion since you are planning for some quality mods, K-Tuned does make a short ram 3.5" intake that keeps the filter in the engine bay and away from water https://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/9th-Ge ... _2001.html . This would give you the best setup and not worry about water. I would recommend making a simple heatshield around the filter to protect from general engine heat since you get some hot weather sometimes, I think, haha. But anyways, just a thought. It's a nice piece and would give you 90% of the performance of a CAI without the worry. If you want to keep the stock intake, no problem, just lookin' out for you.
K-Tuned SHort Ram.jpg
K-Tuned SHort Ram.jpg (645.22 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
With the stock intake, I would probably recommend a hybrid tune where it runs on the MAF sensor for part throttle driving, then the MAP sensor for WOT. That seems to provide the best dirvability and control in the tune to make it dialed for you. If you like the way the Hondata maps drive, we can tune those, or we can put you on my basemap and start there. There is a long way and a short way to tune them as well, depending on how much time you have. But shoot me your thoughts on all this and we can go from there.
Nightk1ds

Post by Nightk1ds »

Thanks for the heads up man! I may actually now look into a K-Tuned 3.5 intake now that you mentioned it since it connects to the stock throttlebody (the one you linked or possible the budget one that won't need battery relocation). I'm going to see about purchasing the downpipe mid November and SRI intake in December. I just hit 150k miles with the car (purchased at 93k) and told myself I'm keeping the car until it stops running (and then rebuild and turbo lol) so might as well mod.

What would you suggest the tuning strategy be since I'm getting the mods soon if things go smooth? I also definitely don't mind running one of your basemaps and see what we get! I don't mind taking the long route to make sure things get dialed in properly.

I also switched over to the MAF base tune that came with the flashpro last night and drove it this morning (5am) and felt a noticeable difference from stock. I was able to get some WOT log runs in 3rd (attached). I also logged how the car handled mid day and in the afternoon in traffic. But thanks again man so much for your help I really appreciate it!
Attachments
US Civic Si 2012-2014, MAF tune.fpcal
(21.25 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
10-2 11AM.fpdl
(714.48 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
10-2 5am.fpdl
(423.35 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
10-2 4pm.fpdl
(582.85 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
10-2 3rd4th5am.fpdl
(14.66 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

You're welcome. I wouldn't recommend the one where the battery doesn't have to be relocated. It places the filter back by the DP and you will get a lot of hot air into the filter year round'. If you absolutely don't want to move the battery, then that would be the best, but the one that puts the filter behind the headlight would be a great compromise. Acuity makes a better battery relocation kit in my opinion, which moves the battery up above the transmission. So if your concern is having the battery low, the Acuity relocation kit moves it where your intake box is now https://acuityinstruments.com/products/ ... n-civic-si . Granted the cost adds up when buying the intake and the Acuity battery tray, but it might solve all your concerns. Which would be the same concerns I have, so don't think I am saying you're weird, haha. When I had my 8th gen, the only relocation kit made you use a mini battery, at least now these kits allow the stock battery to fit. But yeah, the one with the filter towards the back of the engine will yield very hot intake temps in your warmer months.

Your schedule works good for the mods. The intake last would be ideal because they you have the whole package on before the intake. Tuning for the DP is easy, the intake will take the most effort so that works out being last.

As far as strategy, I just put a lot of work into a tune with a guy that has just a catback as well. We used a hybrid tune on his and it came out great on my end, and he says he is happy on his. We can start you on that file as it will be my new basemap for that type of setup, I just haven't gotten around to filing it for that. But yeah, we can give that a shot and dial it for your car. Then when you add the DP, we can make the adjustments needed. Then when you get the intake you choose, we would want to go in and tune if the long way where we tune each cam angle individually and then blend it all out. As mentioned above, doing the intake last is ideal so that the biggest functional change (the intake) is last.

As far as the datalogs you posted, they don't look too bad at all honestly. They have a little too much timing in some areas, which is normal for the 9th gen and how the tables work. The MAF needs some scaling, but nothing too major. If you like the way it drives, we can adjust that calibration. Otherwise, we can try my file I mentioned above and see what you think. Let me know, I can clean up the file you're on, or I have my file ready to go. You just let me know which route you'd like to go.
Nightk1ds

Post by Nightk1ds »

I may actually see about the battery relocation intake as well and see if I can make a custom heatshield. It's already hot enough as it is and ill try different things to lower temps lol. I'm going to have to do a clutch line replacement too it seems like with the kit.

I'm down to run your basemap and see if we can start tuning from there if you would like. I'm up for a different tune. Let me know what you need from me and I got you.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah whichever route you go, if you end up wanting my help, we'll make the most of it. If you have questions along the way you can always ask and see which might be best for you.

So attached is the basemap for you. Take it for a drive when you want, 20-30 minutes of normal stop and go driving. Then make one wide open throttle (WOT) pull in third gear from 2500-7500rpm. Only make one WOT pull and keep the driving fairly calm on this first one, I like to get some data before you get after it too much. But see what you think. I made some adjustments to this one based on yuor other datalogs, so the knock should be reduced if not gone, but we'll see.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Nightk1ds.Hybrid.Rev01.fpcal
(24.33 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Nightk1ds

Post by Nightk1ds »

Thank you man! I'll go ahead and see if I can get a datalog for you later this week!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good man. Talk to you soon.
Nightk1ds

Post by Nightk1ds »

Hey EFICU

I was finally able to get a log tonight after work. the knock seems to have been eliminated from the short drive that I did. Attached are the log files. Let me know if you need anything else from me. Thanks again bro!
Attachments
Nightk1ds Hybrid Rev01 Run (10-5-21)11pm.fpdl
(382.37 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Man, we almost nailed it on the first shot, haha. It looks great. I made a couple small MAF scale changes, and just a couple WOT changes. We could almost call it good, but I want to tighten it up a little bit. Either way, definitely going smooth out this file and make it a basemap for 2012 using the stock intake for sure. Your car and the other guy who I developed it with both look great. So thank you for letting me work on your car and being able to verify that.

Anyways, here is the next one. Like you mentioned, no knock in that last one which is great, and the fueling looked good. Tightened up a few things, so take this one for a spin when you can. Same datalog and driving style. Also looks like it pulled pretty good too, hopefully it felt good in the car. The Virtual Dyno graph looked great. But how it feels in the car is the most important.
Nightk1ds.Hybrid.Rev02.fpcal
(24.41 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Nightk1ds

Post by Nightk1ds »

Hey man! Thanks for the tune! It definitely feels good, I feel like the vtech crossover is smoother and still pulls. I'm going to drive it some more later tonight when there's less traffic and see how it feels. I got two datalogs for you if you want to take a look at them and see if the tune needs adjusting. Thank you again man can't express enough gratitude.
Attachments
Nightk1ds Hybrid Rev02 Run WOT (10-6-21)11pm.fpdl
(427.84 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Nightk1ds Hybrid Rev02 Run (10-7-21) 12pm.fpdl
(481.47 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Looks really good. No knock at all. I made a couple WOT fuel changes, and a few MAF scale changes for this next one. It might be good to go on this one, but take it out and make some datalogs so we can see how it looks.
Nightk1ds.Hybrid.Rev03.fpcal
(24.27 KiB) Downloaded 91 times