Replacing s200 ECU

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
sackdz

Replacing s200 ECU

Post by sackdz »

I have an S200 and P28 ECU purchased from Hondata. The ECU took a dump and I was hoping to simply swap my chip (and OBDIIa conversion PCB) over to either an unmodified or socketed P28. I want to make sure that is possible and also know what other modifications are required. Obviously I'll have to move the blue box over to the new ECU.

Hondata.com's s200 page mentions cutting J12, but doesn't say why.

Anything else I'm not considering?

Thanks
Ed
MW Honda-Challenge H2 #11
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Replacing s200 ECU

Post by Spunkster »

J12 must be cut in order for it to communicate properly. You can purchase a socketign kit through any Hondata dealer to make it easier. YOu may find swapping the addapter ahrness is rather difficult, we don't even do this.
sackdz

Post by sackdz »

Thanks for your reply Spunkster.

No other modifications required, then? I thought I recalled reading in the past that some P28's might need a certain resistor removed.

I don't anticipate moving a socket or the adapter over to be easy, but we have a very nice vacuum soldering station that I am itching to try, so we'll see how it goes.

Ed
sackdz

Post by sackdz »

Hey Spunkster.

I ended up moving over the OBDii > OBDi adapter connector as well as my socket and chip from my original Hondata bought P28, and put it into an unmodified P28. I had to move over the 4-pin s200 connector as well.

I thought I was in business as I had no CEL and VTEC switchover worked, etc.. until I got to the track and found I had a ~7400rpm rev limit. I'm assuming this means I am running from the original P28 ROM and not whatever is on the chip I've moved over.

I tried running Hondalogger v3.6.4.0 to get some info. I don't have datalogging on my s200, but I was previously able to view live sensor info, etc.
When I connect now, I get a pop-up that says I don't have datalogging enabled, and then "connection error" is displayed in the Hondalogger status. I'm unable to retrieve ECU information/serial number either.

Do you have an tips on why my ROM chip I moved over doesn't seem to be running, or why I'm unable to connect w/ Hondalogger?
The red light on the blue box is blinking periodically, mostly it is solid on. I don't know if my chip was written with RE3 or RE4, my dealer (Payn Tech) has been out of business for years. I think it was written in 2003 or 2004.

Side note that may not be important but makes me wonder, you mentioned J12 must be cut for communication... both the Hondata-supplied P28 and my new P28 both have an identical diode installed in this location.. I left alone.

Thanks
Ed
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

J12 will not have a diode, it will be a resistor. IF the ECU was not socketed correctly then it may not be reading the EEPROM. Does J1 have a jumper? IF this s200 does not have datalogging then you will not be able to datalog with it.

Honestly you will be much better off upgrading to the s300.
sackdz

Post by sackdz »

J1 was jumped on the original ECU, but not the new one. I jumped it, and solid CEL, no blinkage :/
Should J12 be populated or no?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

J1 must be jumpered or it will not work. J12 must be cut.