Anyone who is having Cold Start Issues

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
maiku

cold start issues

Post by maiku »

I have a GReddy turbo kit which I used to run on the 370cc injectors at the 370cc tune. Since I upgraded to 650cc injectors and the 650cc tune, the car is very hard to start when it's cold.
I live in FL, so it's not even cold outside. (80+deg)
Needs to be cranked for approximately 7-10 seconds before starting, and when it does start it barely comes to life. It'll putter for a few seconds then run at a high RPM till it warms up and calms down.
I tried taking away fuel at startup and that seems to have made it worse so next time I'm going to add 30% to see if that helps. It's at -15% now and it seems worse.
I didn't look at the coolant temp where it gives problems, but it's about 80-90 deg in the garage where it gives me issues and the time interval where the issues return I'd estimate at about 1.5-2 hours before it gets tough to start again and probably 3-4hrs before it's full on PITA to start.

It happens no matter how full my tank is. It's done it every time since I upgraded to the 650cc injectors.

When I get around to changing it again to add fuel at startup I'll post back and let you all know how that went!
COMplex

Post by COMplex »

Hondata wrote:In your case a return to stock comparison is not possible. A datalog and calibration would help though.
Sorry for the delay. I datalogged my starting issues, and have yet to get them uploaded to my laptop, but as soon as I do I will post them along with the calibration.

If it helps, my tuner used the CT Stage 2 base calibration as a starting point for my tune.

Cold start issues started immediately after that, and he and I played with the cranking trim but nothing seems to make a difference.
[COMplex] »»» civic.plex.nu

» Comptech Supercharged 2006 Honda Civic Si
» Information | Teaser Video
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I've added a section to the help file with more information about the way cranking fuelling works. See http://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/tu ... g_fuel.htm

Looking at the datalogs, I think the cranking fuel is too low when cold. Here are some changes to test out:

- Return the cranking fuel trim to 0%
- For Race calibrations only, alter the water temperature compensation cranking to:

This should work for both stock and aftermarket injectors.
Hondata
COMplex

Post by COMplex »

Hondata wrote:I've added a section to the help file with more information about the way cranking fuelling works. See http://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/tu ... g_fuel.htm

Looking at the datalogs, I think the cranking fuel is too low when cold. Here are some changes to test out:

- For Race calibrations only, alter the water temperature compensation cranking to:

Do you think this will work in my situation as well?

Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I suggest you make the compensation tables changes, and then look at issues specific to E85 & your injectors.
Hondata
COMplex

Post by COMplex »

Hondata wrote:I suggest you make the compensation tables changes, and then look at issues specific to E85 & your injectors.
I will try making the changes you specified above and see if it helps the cold starts. I have also attached my calibration. I'll try and post my datalog of starting up soon.

The car runs and starts fine once it's warmed up and has been running great with the attached calibration.

Thank you!
Attachments
9Aug09FuggiDynoTuneE-85.fpcal
COMplex's calibration for e85, 3" pulley, RC 650cc injectors, Walbro 255lph pump.
(72.71 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

soxfan143

Post by soxfan143 »

I'm not having any cold start issues at all so I figured I would post up a log and calibration for Hondata to use for comparison. I hope this helps.

I'm running a modified GReddy kit with RC 650 injectors and a Walbro pump for a fuel system. I have a couple cold start logs.
Attachments
10-15 cold start.fpdl
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
soxfan_gt28 second round vtec and cam adj.fpcal
(17.64 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
10-13 cold start.fpdl
(7.19 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
soxfan143

Post by soxfan143 »

Just to see what would happen, I just changed the ECT/cranking table to what Hondata suggested in this thread and did another cold start log and this time it fired even quicker. Within a half second to second it was fired. Starts better than ever. Great job again Hondata.
COMplex

Post by COMplex »

Hondata wrote:In your case a return to stock comparison is not possible. A datalog and calibration would help though.
Please see the attached cold start datalog to go along with my previously attached calibration.

Let me know what you think... Tonight I will test the changes I just made to the compensation tables and report back.

Thank you!
Attachments
COMplex_coldstart.fpdl
Cold starting, to go along with my calibration: 9Aug09FuggiDynoTuneE-85.fpcal (attached in previous post)
(51.24 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

Hondata wrote:I've added a section to the help file with more information about the way cranking fuelling works. See http://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/tu ... g_fuel.htm

I'm going to try this out aswell i'll let the car sit over night as it's -5C here now, and see what happens!
COMplex

Post by COMplex »

Compensation table changes (per the tables above) didn't seem to make any difference for me :(

fuel trim is currently +25%
cranking fuel trim is +10%

rc 650cc / e85 / walbro 255 / 50~F ambient temp

hmm...

Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

did the added changes to the map without any success :( well it made it start a hair sooner but the problem is still very bad, heres my datalogs. I have included all three from that day cuz I can't remember the one cold start log.
Attachments
log-01.fpdl
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
log-02.fpdl
(131.02 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
log-03.fpdl
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 274 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You must post the calibration as well
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

Spunkster wrote:You must post the calibration as well

here you go
Attachments
K20Z3 CT-e Supercharged.fpcal
(17.4 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
maiku

Post by maiku »

I did this to mine with no luck as well. I'll try to get datalogs of it tomorrow!

edit: I got sick.. will do it when I get more time. x__x