Is Carb Flashpro for me?

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
gtman

Is Carb Flashpro for me?

Post by gtman »

I'm thinking about getting a carb Flashpro for my 2017 Civic EX-L. I know it has limited adjustments. Basically, I'd like better throttle response, less lag and more passing power. How would this do with 91 octane and the +6 tune? Would it be safe and reliable?

I prefer a set and forget setup but would I be better off with the race Flashpro for $200 more?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Is Carb Flashpro for me?

Post by Spunkster »

The CARB version cannot make any changes to throttle response as this is emissions related. The basemaps for both the CARB and non-CARB make the same power.
gtman

Post by gtman »

I'm confused. I thought one of the selling points of Flashpro was earlier turbo spool and better throttle response over stock?
With a 100% stock 1.5 Civic Turbo you will benefit from:

Improved turbo spool
Raised boost limits
Better throttle response
Better mid range power and torque
Removed speed limit
No change in part throttle fuel economy
So the only thing the Carb basemap basically does is raise boost over stock? No other performance parameters were changed by Hondata?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can do this with the race FlashPro, but the CARB version does not have the same tunability as the race version. You can achieve the same power level using the included basemaps, but not all the features are available.
gtman

Post by gtman »

Ok thanks. Definitely not worth $500 for only some extra boost and nothing else. Disapointing. I don't understand why Hondata wouldn't tweak the carb version to at least improve drivabilty. Makes no sense.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The throttle response is part if keeping the emissions low and we cannot make changes to that with a CARB version.
gtman

Post by gtman »

Then how can you claim improved throttle response in your advertising for the Carb Flashpro if indeed nothing is changed?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I'll clarify Spunkster's post - he was thinking about rev hang rather than throttle response. For CARB we can't change the overrun cutoff settings aka 'rev hang', which is not relevant for the CVT. With CARB you can change the boost and turbo spool up, which improves throttle response.
Hondata
gtman

Post by gtman »

So Hondata, to be clear... Does the +6 Carb tune improve throttle response and spool the turbo earlier compared to stock? Spunkster said no. This is still a 500 dollar decision Im making so I really want to know.

My original question to spunkster was this:
I'm thinking about getting a carb Flashpro for my 2017 Civic EX-L. I know it has limited adjustments. Basically, I'd like better throttle response, less lag and more passing power. How would this do with 91 octane and the +6 tune? Would it be safe and reliable?

I prefer a set and forget setup but would I be better off with the race Flashpro for $200 more?
His answer completely shocked me. I was all ready to buy a Carb Flashpro too.
gtman

Post by gtman »

Hopefully somebody will answer this. Doesn't seem like Hondata is very interesting in selling their product.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

We are interested in providing accurate information. First, if you don't intend to run to vehicle then the CARB FlashPro is going to work exactly the same as the Race FlashPro. Of course, for a US street car there is no choice os you can only get the CARB FlashPro.
As to a breakdown of your initial requests, the Race and CARB FlashPro will give you the same throttle response, passing power, turbo spool up etc. The only real difference is that with the Race FlashPro you can tune the calibration to get the most out of your vehicle. If you don't intend to tune it then there is no practical difference.
Hondata
gtman

Post by gtman »

Thank you for the reply. Thats all I was asking. I want a simple, safe, set and forget setup. The $495 new price is excellent btw.
gtman

Post by gtman »

How would the +6 tune run on 89 octane? Would 91 be much better for both power and knock control?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You will get the most our of running 91 you will probably lose 3-4 hp on 89.
gtman

Post by gtman »

Sounds good. One last question. In Hondata mode does pressing the ECON button give you the stock tune or is it the stock tune with some Econ mode features like reduced throttle response and lower A/C output?