B16A Turbo leaning out at idle

Calibrations for S-Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)
90_AcuraB16

B16A Turbo leaning out at idle

Post by 90_AcuraB16 »

Hi there, I'll start with mods and engine and then get into what my issue is.

B16A series 1 (5000 series)
Stock internals 10.5:1 compression
Stock intake manifold
Stock fuel rail
Stock FPR
Stock Map
Stock cams
255LPH fuel pump
70mm Throttle body (BBK)
S300 (V1?)
AEM wide band
Auto meter fuel pressure gauge
Auto meter boost/vacuum
Auto meter oil pressure
Garrett .60 trim turbo
TiAl 38mm waste gate, gated at 8psi
3'' DP
3'' Exhaust

Got the car like this, engine had 3 cracked pistons, i rebuilt the engine afterwards had issues with the IACV (it wasnt plugged in before so i plugged it in) car idled like crap, had low vacuum, i unplugged it everything was good. As i have zero experience with hondata or tuning in general I had a friend of mine take a look at the tune, he made a couple small changes and sent it back to me, asked me to send him some data logs before he would further change the tune as the timing was way to advanced.

I uploaded the new tune and took it for a drive, it was driving perfectly fine, and all of a sudden at a light the car stalled out, CEL came on said it was an over heating issue car ran like complete balls. barely got it home. It was running 000 AFR!, idle was completely lean! giving it throttle it would change the AFR readings but at idle i was completely lean.

I unplugged the ecu, let the car cool off and went back to it. it started up fine and ran good, idle was okay until it gets to op temp where it slowly slowly gets leaner and leaner... till its almost 000 AFR again. Car has been randomly over heating when it gets under load at times but i was contributing that to a bad tune. I did some research and people attribute a similar issue to ECT fuel compensation, Mine is set to 0.0 at 177 F,
Others were contributing it to voltage jumps, which the mine does jump around alot, but usually between 13.6-14.06V, the battery probably needs to be replaced as it doesnt hold any more then 10V of a charge for some reason.

I took a screen shot of my S300 data as it was getting really lean. http://res.cloudinary.com/d8jyy3ad/imag ... oodocg.png
If anybody could help i would greatly appreciate that.
90_AcuraB16

Re: B16A Turbo leaning out at idle

Post by 90_AcuraB16 »

Please forgive me if this is the wrong section, please remove or move, if not allowed. this is a tuning related question.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Fix the obvious faults before chasing anything else
- if the battery voltage is jumping around, remove and clean all grounds, make sure the valve cover ground is in the right place, check electrical connectors for dirt & wear, check fuse box for bad connections
- if there is a CEL, get the code
- check fuel pressure and make sure the injectors are flowing correctly
- check cam timing
- check cooling system is holding pressure and there are no air bubbles
- check ignition timing at distributor is correct
Hondata
90_AcuraB16

Post by 90_AcuraB16 »

Fix the obvious faults before chasing anything else
- if the battery voltage is jumping around, remove and clean all grounds, make sure the valve cover ground is in the right place, check electrical connectors for dirt & wear, check fuse box for bad connections
- if there is a CEL, get the code
- check fuel pressure and make sure the injectors are flowing correctly
- check cam timing
- check cooling system is holding pressure and there are no air bubbles
- check ignition timing at distributor is correct

The battery voltage jumps around slightly, not drastically, the engine is brand new, and i cleaned all the terminals before reinstalling things.
The terminals are both clean, and the plugs on the starter and on the alt still have electrical grease on the plugs.

It is possible that the alt may be getting weaker, as voltage jumps around more drastically when i unplug the battery while the car is running,
however the car does not stall, it does start leaning out harder with less voltage tho, almost the instant i unplug the battery to test the alt the
AFR go almost straight to 16:1, and when i plug the battery back in it will briefly go down to 14.8:1-15.3:1 AFR, and start leaning out again from there.

I no longer get a CEL, however the code was an "engine over heat" code, previously. Which it wasnt over heating, not from what the coolant temp sensor was reading. When it had the CEL the car ran like complete crap.

Fuel pressure at idle is 40-45psi, cam/base timing is perfect no issues, hard to check for ignition timing when a bad iacv makes idling low, but the distributor is set to where it was before the engine rebuild started, which is basically dead center on the distributor adjustment. I could advance it slightly which may help at hot idle, but it runs good with the way its set, aside from this random leaning out issue thats just started. It didnt start doing this till the battery stopped holding a charge, and the tune changed. So that leads me to believe this isnt a distributor timing issue.

Cooling system is holding pressure that im aware of, the reservoir goes up and goes down with engine temp. I have no coolant leaks, so to be safe i could replace the coolant cap.
Attachments
Steve T%27s Tune.skl
This is the current tune on the car.
(41.35 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You need to set the timing using a timing light. That is the only way to properly set timing.

For overheating you need to datalog to see what the actual temp was that the ECU is seeing.
90_AcuraB16

Post by 90_AcuraB16 »

I agree that in order to set the timing perfect i need a timing light, However, I feel that the timing is close enough at this point that we can rule it out as being the culprit for the random leaning out at idle, as well as the possible cause for overheating. I can however post a couple data logs that were take just seconds before my car stalled at the light and all this nonsense started.
Attachments
before stall.s3d
not sure which order these were i believe the larger of the 2 files was the first datalog and the smaller was the last.
(413.83 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
before stall 02.s3d
(18.39 KiB) Downloaded 154 times