Acquiring "bricks" to build a new home here...

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2007-2008 Acura TL
Yungone501

Acquiring "bricks" to build a new home here...

Post by Yungone501 »

Around 1-2 years ago, I had an issue with my ECM not communicating suddenly after a reflash and after discussing the matter with you guys through email, it was decided that I would have to send my old ECM and FlashPro in to unlock the two so that it could be locked with a replacement ECM. Did that and things have been fine ever since.

Fast forward to last Saturday evening, I was sitting in my car talking on the phone waiting for FlashPro to finish its flash and noticed after sitting in the blazing sun for longer than usual that the process had not completed. In fact, I looked down to see that the red indicator was no longer even shown and thought maybe I'd just forgot to press it. I resumed my conversation only this time I sat there watching the indicator and though it finished, it seemed to be of a different indicator flash style. Nevertheless, it cycled the fuel pumps and extinguished the light so I went about the evening as normal.

This same, bizarre behavior went on with the FlashPro for a few more days and I began to notice some other weird things. Things like unusually long upload times, then what appeared to be something along the lines of CAN bus failure as I noticed by coolant temp gauge dropping out after seconds into the flash, and last but not least I still noticed a unexplainable difference in the red indicators behavior during the flash process. Again, during these next few days, I wrote it off as a 'strange but still functioning' act. Something I generally don't do as I'm an electrical automotive tech by trade.

Then, last night after doing some live tuning, I was uploading a tune and noticed that when it completed the fuel pumps did not cycle. It actually didn't even seem like the flash had completed as it was unusually short. I recalled seeing the coolant temp gauge drop at the beginning of the flash again too. Concerned, I went to view a datastream of the engine sensors using FlashPro but seen nothing. Then, I realized that my gear indicator (instrument cluster) was not highlighting any gear when in Park. That's when I realized something bad just happened. Went to start the engine and the starter engaged for what seemed like 1/2 of an engine rotation and then stopped. My first immediate thought was poor connection (power or ground) or maybe even a low battery. To my surprise, all of the above checked perfectly. I had a power probe nearby so immediately went through deeper circuitry involving specifically the ECM's powers and grounds, the power distribution blocks and fuses, engine ground while cranking, even voltage drops throughout the vehicle. ALL checked good. Battery was 100% charged with a 12.6 voltage....I keep a battery maintainer on it when it sits or I'm uploading tune. I'm keen to low voltage issues. I did notice that I forgot to turn off my live tuning tables since the troubles began several days ago but have done that before so doubted that as the issue. But did turn them off on this tune if that means anything.

Got home tonight and delved back into things with my scanner from the shop and noticed though it was "seeing" the ECM, I could not extract or view any information from it. Also, the MICU and numerous other modules were indicating a loss of communication with the ECM. Luckily, I have roughly 5 or so up at the shop so I went and picked a known good one then installed it. As soon as the was cycled on, a immediately had a gear indicated, fuel pumps cycled on and of course, communication.

Now, my concern is what could be causing this to happen? Both times it's happened, it was immediately following a flash. I wouldn't be so upset about the problem here but now I'm pretty certain that I'll have to send the set back in to you guys and have them divorced so I can use it with the replacement ECM. I'm not sure if burning a VIN in the replacement ECM will do anything for me (in regards to locking FlashPro onto it) but I'll try it before sending it out.

Advice or suggestions....other than telling me the last sentence above won't work? Am I bricked...again?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Acquiring "bricks" to build a new home here...

Post by Spunkster »

With everything plugged in and the key in the on position, go to the Help menu and click on send information to Hondata support. Make sure you include a detailed description of the problem.
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Will do. Thanks.
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Sent requested information just now. Thank you.
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Oddly enough, the ecu just accepted a reflash. It's working....for now. Please look at the log anyways and (hopefully) shed some light on what happened. Thanks again.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It was just in recovery mode and you had to upload to it again to get it out of recovery mode.
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Really, where does it say this on FlashPro, did I overlook this?

My last ECM did the same thing but was never informed to upload the log last time. Was there something different about this reported symptom/issue that clues you guys in on the need to mail in my ECM/FlashPro that I can know what to look for next time something like this happens?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I don't know about the previous ECU, but this one was obviously just in recovery mode since you were able to upload and correct the issue.

Details on recovery mode can be found in the help file: https://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/e ... ery%2Bmode
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Interesting. Got it. Thanks for the help. :)