Hondata Harness & ECU Install

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2007-2008 Acura TL
VicTL06

Hondata Harness & ECU Install

Post by VicTL06 »

I have a 2006 Acura TL 6MT w/Navi & TPMS. I have purchased a Flashpro, the required harness kit and an ECU from a 2007 6MT. What I cannot for the life of me figure out, despite the instructions, is the order of installation and the interplay with my local Acura service department.

Do I rewire the DLC connecter, install the harness, plug the OLD ECU back into it, drive it to Acura, swap in the NEW ECU, have them reprogram the immobilizer into the NEW ECU, drive it gingerly to my local tuner to have it dyno tuned?

Or is it more complicated than that? If the old ECU cannot be plugged into the harness and driven, then the alternative is to drive it to Acura, remove the old ECU, rewire the DLC connector and install the harness in their repair bay, then plug in the new ECU and reprogram it.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Hondata Harness & ECU Install

Post by Spunkster »

http://www.hondata.com/images/04-06_tl_ ... ctions.pdf

Page 2 says exactly the order to do everything.
VicTL06

Post by VicTL06 »

So again, the instructions are unclear.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

1. Install the CAN harness from the DLC connector
to the CAN Bus connector.
2. Drive your car to an Acura or Honda dealer.
Be sure to book in advance.
3. Install your 07 TL ECU while at the dealer.
4. Instruct your Honda or Acura dealer to program
your VIN number into the ECU. They
match the new ECU to your immobilizer using
the“Replace ECU” function.
5. Register your FlashPro and lock it to your
ECU. An internet connection is required.
VicTL06

Post by VicTL06 »

Thanks for copying and pasting the instructions. SUPER helpful, mate.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Can you please tell me exactly what part of the instructions you are unclear about?

If you proceed in that order you should not have any issues with getting it to work properly.
Brock

Post by Brock »

The new ECU uses CAN to communicate with diagnostic equipment, so you have to install the adapter harness first.
VicTL06

Post by VicTL06 »

So it looks like I repin the DLC connector by moving the grey wire from position 14 to position 1. Then I insert the white into 6 and red into 14. Where do these wires come from? Are they repinned from other slots on the DLC connector or do they come from the CAN adapter, which I assume is the big black cased wire with the red and white wires coming out of it? So if one end goes into the DLC connector, where does the other end plug into?

Also, is it possible to install the harness and new ECU before doing steps 1-14? It sounds like it is not, as the CAN adapter needs to bridge the connection between the DLC connector and whatever the other end plugs into (which is...?).

I'm sure that this is all very self-evident to you and that I must be an idiot for not understanding. Whatever. I've never mucked around with my vehicle's wiring and the authorized Hondata dealer who will end up tuning this has never installed one of these. So I'm left doing the research so we don't end up bricking my car, because for some reason that's how it's working out.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Please send an email to support <at> hondata.com with the following:

Name:
Address:
Phone number:
Dealer that is installing/tuning this:
Description of problem:
VicTL06

Post by VicTL06 »

Had my tuner shop install harness and wire to DLC connector. Drove the car over to Acura. Gave them the fresh from Honda 07 ECU. $200 in labour later, they are unable to get the ECU to communicate with their system to reprogram the ECU. It wouldn't power up or communicate. Plugged everything back to the way it was, with the DLC connector still re pinned as per the instructions and it comunciates with it fine. And the local Hondata dealer has no clue. Awesome product.
VicTL06

Post by VicTL06 »

So here's what looks to be the problem. The lead from the white wire was improperly crimped and some of the wire strands weren't even in it in the first place. So it wasn't making any connection. My tuner did the job that your quality control guys should have done and securely reattached it. Back at Acura to see if the ECU will power up now.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 17803 times
VicTL06

Post by VicTL06 »

Still not working.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What dealer did you purchase this from?

Who has done all the work to date?

What is the ECU part number you are using?

What is the serial number of the FlashPro?
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

The reason the dealer can't figure it out is because it's considered a custom install which means their service manual tells them nothing about what needs to be done to make it work. This ALSO means, it requires a person or shop of special skills and knowledge to properly execute the job.

Maybe if you were a little less inclined to be a prideful ass, people (like myself) may be willing to help. Good luck with YOUR problem.