Wheel Sensor DIY For Non ABS Vehicles?

mitsuman

Wheel Sensor DIY For Non ABS Vehicles?

Post by mitsuman »

Ok, so is it possible to wire up your own Hall effect sensors? for vehicle who did not come equipped with ABS sensors?

i have a 95 del sol...

another option i see is racelogic traction control, and they sell a sensor kit. but are a bit more expensive.

( i suggest you make a kit hondata, as most guys who want it probably dont have ABS)

thanks!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Wheel Sensor DIY For Non ABS Vehicles?

Post by Spunkster »

You can easily use the sensors that are on a civic or integra equipped with ABS. The trigger rings will have to be on the axles and the rear hub will have to also have a trigger ring. These should be relatively easy to find in a junk yard as nearly all Integras were equipped with ABS.

More info can be found in the help file: http://www.hondata.com/help/tractioncontrol/faq.htm
mitsuman

Post by mitsuman »

Spunkster wrote:You can easily use the sensors that are on a civic or integra equipped with ABS. The trigger rings will have to be on the axles and the rear hub will have to also have a trigger ring. These should be relatively easy to find in a junk yard as nearly all Integras were equipped with ABS.
thanks for the info.

what can one use for sensors?

EDIT: read the FAQ. thanks. So i see that hall effect sensors can be used, although is there any further information besides, "tie the negative side of the wheel speed sensor input to ground"?

would also like some info on which are the best hall sensors for this application.

thanks!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The best sensor would be oem as it is designed to be used for many years in harsh environments without failing.
mitsuman

Post by mitsuman »

Just seems easier to DIY the sensors doesnt it?
Lyle_57IAL

Post by Lyle_57IAL »

This also is a question that i am very interested in. Is there any aftermarket kit that hondata recommended or supplies that can be retrofitted to non ABS arms?

Will there ever be the option of running just a single WSS and using the OEM VSS in the hondata s300 as its comparison?

Please let me know :)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

No, it needs to know the difference in speed for the front and rear wheels.
Lyle_57IAL

Post by Lyle_57IAL »

Can't this be done simple with your vehical speed sensor in your gearbox ?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

No, the VSS has no idea what the speed of individual wheels are, especially non driven wheels.
Boost4Breakfast

Post by Boost4Breakfast »

Spunkster.... He said to use a single WSS (on a back/non-driven wheel) then utilize the VSS to monitor front wheel speed.... I dont see a reason why this couldn't be integrated. Seem MUCH simpler than running an extra (or 2) front WSS when the factory VSS can be applied to all vehicles (both ABS and Non ABS)
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The VSS is nowhere near accurate enough for traction control.
Hondata
Lyle_57IAL

Post by Lyle_57IAL »

Hello,

I am still quite interested in this option. Currently my car was never setup for ABS from the factory. I have noticed my front arms have mounting points for the sensors (Should be able to drill/ tap and mount the sensors) and my front driveshafts (Drive shaft shop units) have the ABS rings.

Now for the Rear. Can I mount the ABS sensors to none abs arms? how / where is the pickup signal? can this be also retrofitted? or will I need to purchased complete new ABS rear trailing arms?

Also Will I need to specifically match the wheel speed sensors to the type of wheel speed rings on the drive shafts etc? Any more info would be great

Thanks
Lyle_57IAL

Post by Lyle_57IAL »

Can i simply put on Dc2 rear hubs to my current rear trailing arm? and the teeth count will that need to be the same as my drive shaft shop front axels?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I believe that all Honda ABS rings have the same number of teeth. The easiest thing to do would be to use the complete rear training arm as it will have the correct hub/ABS ring and also have the correct mounting point for the ABS sensor.