Cpr issues

Hondata CPR (Coil Pack Retrofit) support
freezingmoon

Cpr issues

Post by freezingmoon »

I've had the cpr kit installed into civic now for 6 months, it's the second kit I purchased, I've made apost already concerning the issue I have with it, a weird random miss, now I know I'm the 4th car with cpr kit installed doing the same thing... I have a also bought a brand new oem distributor from Honda, had to have it shipped from Japan, and it still does the same thing removing the kit on Monday to see of it clears up, I'm sure it will...
I've spent so much time and money chasing this glitch I had more faith in hondata that it would to be the cpr kit... But it cannot be coincidence that it's the same exact problem on cars that had not had this problem before... Nothing shows up on datalogs...
Anyone else experiencing this? A vet annoying completely random miss?
crucian

Re: Cpr issues

Post by crucian »

I have the same exact problem thats pissing me off! It works perfectly with stock ignition setup and gives me a random miss with the CPR. I tried everything. New CPR kit. New OEM dizzy, changed MAP and TPS sensors. Put in stock injectors. Tried 3 different ECUs. Rewired CPR and coils. Changed coils. Different ground locations. You name it I tried it an I cant get this thing to stop the random misfiring. Called hondata and they told me to take it to a certified hondata dealer. Why would I want to do that? I've been doing this for 20 years professionally with Master ASE certs with advance level engine diagnosis certs. I'm going to keep trying, but it's really annoying.

2000 Civic Si
OBD2 Harness with adapter harness
Battery in trunk
freezingmoon

Post by freezingmoon »

I'm sure there's even more w the same issue... I don't even want to get I to the list of things I bought brand new chasing this problem, most expensive one was changing chassis... Lol
Taking cpr out right this moment, will post results...
Hondata what are you doing for your loyal customers? I've been using hondata since 2002 on the 25 or so cars I've had since then...
crucian

Post by crucian »

Please tell me if removing the CPR worked cause I'm tired of troubleshooting this problem to no avail. Been chasing it for almost 2 years now.
freezingmoon

Post by freezingmoon »

Misfire is gone... Now decision of what's worth the difference... Cpr made more power and cleaner curve... And I feel is "safer" because it obviously will burn more efficiently... I honestly hate distributors hence why I tried cpr... But the misfire sucks... It really affects daily drivability...
But end of story the cpr is 100% the cause of the misfire...
crucian

Post by crucian »

And here I thought I was going crazy. I would have to agree with u with the down fall of removing the CPR. When I put my stock ignition setup in, normal driving was perfect; no hiccups whatsoever. But I couldn't get the car to go at WOT so I had no choice but to put the CPR back in. I'm wondering if the glitch is in the software or maybe the A16 (sync) circuit.
freezingmoon

Post by freezingmoon »

Yep, I out the cpr back on again last night lol and of course the hiccup came right back...
What say you hondata?!? Will you be able to fix this? Or is this something were expected to live with?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Please describe this "hiccup" in more detail.

List everything that has been done to these vehicles so we can try to determine what they have in common that could cause this.

We have sold many CPR kits and the number of issues is very very small. Even with CPR units that have reported issues we have tested on a test vehicle here and found no issues with them.
freezingmoon

Post by freezingmoon »

It's a random missfire, it's very random, in that on some drives it doesn't happen at all, some drives it happens almost constantly, and some drives it happens a few times, I don't daily the car as I live in NYC and only drive to Long Island about an hour each way when I go to the race shop...
94 dx coupe is tuned on e85 with s300 ID 1000 injectors b18c with 10.5 piston and rod set up...
EVRYTHING is brand new I bought nothing used... If there is anyrhingn more specific you need to know please ask as I would really like toget to the bottom of this...
I've spent ALOT of money and even more valuable my time and the shops time...
I use hondata products on every car I've had since I heard of hondata and have a lot of respect for your products as normally they are as good as can ask for... But this is really a nuisance!
Thanks for your reply spunkster:)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

So it is completely stock minus rods, pistons and large injectors?
crucian

Post by crucian »

Spunkster wrote:Please describe this "hiccup" in more detail.

List everything that has been done to these vehicles so we can try to determine what they have in common that could cause this.
2000 Honda Civic Si 665WHP
OBD2 harness with adapter harness
Motor is fully built rods, pistons, sleeved, crower turbo cams
precision 6266 turbo
Hondata S300 v3
Smanager v2.3.3.0
Hondata CPR
Hondata Traction control
Reinstalled OEM TPS sensor
New Hondata 4 bar MAP
Zeitronix wideband kit
OEM brand new distributor
Deatschwerks 1300cc injectors
Twin disc SPEC clutch
93 pump gas for daily driving
New Resister plugs
Compression test normal
Leakdown test normal
Battery in the trunk

Like said before, car drives perfect with OEM ignition setup. I wired everything up according to instructions. Datalog looks perfect while driving. I checked injector harness and re-soldered. Moved from the S300v1 to v3 thinking that would solve problem. Changed CPR kits and harness. Rewired and moved just about everything. Moved the CPR power wire from ECU to its own dedicated wire. Same with coils. Box lights lit up brighter and I didn't feel like the stock coil wire is suitable to power 4 coils. But regardless, the issue wasn't resolved. Installed stock injectors, same problem. Put in stock distributor, problem went away. Put back in 1300cc injectors with stock distributor, no issues. Put back in CPR, issue came back. CPR lights blink normal when driving.

2 years ago before I took it to the dyno I knew it had a hiccup but thought it was maybe the tune. Never mentioned anything to the tuner and he said he felt a misfire so he change the plugs. Car was part throttle and WOT tuned on the dyno. I completed the part throttle tune on my own. But for the past 2 years I've been having the issue and I can not figure it out. The only thing that makes it better is to put the stock ignition setup back in.
freezingmoon

Post by freezingmoon »

ok...so i bought the car 6 months ago from the original owner, unmolested virgin 94 dx...

e85
stock wiring harness...
id1000 injectors
hondata 4bar map
hondata s300
hondata cpr
hondata boost selenoid
precision 6262
tial 44mm gate
tial bov
b18c5 rdot block stock bore/sleeves wiseco pistons eagle rods
gsr head springs retainers gsr cams
aem wideband
walbro 450 in tank e85 compatible pump
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What is the number stamped on the ECU circuit board inside the ECU? This is not the P28 or P06 code.

What timing belts are being used? Are they tensioned with OEM tensioners? Is there any timing belt slap at different rev ranges or when the misfires occur?
crucian

Post by crucian »

Spunkster wrote:What is the number stamped on the ECU circuit board inside the ECU? This is not the P28 or P06 code.

What timing belts are being used? Are they tensioned with OEM tensioners? Is there any timing belt slap at different rev ranges or when the misfires occur?
I would think that if it had something to do with the timing belt, it would happen with the OEM distributor also. I'm running an OEM tensioner. I'll get the ECU board number when I get home from work. Another thing I'll like to add:

If the car is driving normal and I power the car off and then turn it back on, it will start the hiccup thing again. Maybe my next test could be to just power down the CPR and then back on. I'm so desperate, ill try anything.
freezingmoon

Post by freezingmoon »

Il check ecu when I'm finished w work it is a p28.. Belt and tensioner are all oem...