Lotus Dash Driver

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
MartynL

Lotus Dash Driver

Post by MartynL »

I've just ordered a Lotus Dash driver from a third party website, only to be told after a week of waiting, that it may have been discontinued by Hondata. Is that the case, or can you let me know if there are any available?

I've built my entire engine swap and build wiring, PRB ECU choice, compatible dash/stack purchase, and many hours of time investment around the use of the Lotus dash converter and a non US Lotus (early S2 Elise), only to be potentially disappointed by the lack of the single component that brings it all together!

Any info would be greatly appreciated, or if you know anybody with any stock...?!

Regards,
Martyn.
Last edited by MartynL on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Lotus Dash Driver

Post by Hondata »

The converter is designed for the federal Elise/Exige only. I do not believe they work with any other vehicle.

We're on the fence about continuing to sell the dash converter because of the number of support problems - every one seems to come back to us for testing. I put them in my Lotus and they always work ok.

MonkeyWrench ordered some earlier this week and we expect to make them & ship them in the next week.
Hondata
MartynL

Post by MartynL »

Yeah, it was Matt at MonkeyWrench who came back to me today with the supply issue. I'm aware about the 'Federal only' aspect of it, but I'm running a PRB ECU, and I've got a 2010 dash (black) unit, and 2001 stack -> 2010 dash conversion harness in the works, to enable me to utilise it... All the other inputs to the PRB are in place, and the multiplex E24 output running through the 'old' tacho wiring up to the dash.

(I'm hoping the non Aircon aspect of my car isn't a show stopper, as I see the dash converter 'expects' some inputs from that too?!)

I'll let Matt know he can expect his orders soon! I'll have a word and see if you guys could UPS it out to me here, instead of to him, then across to me...
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Each converter is tested in a Lotus, so if it doesn't work, it's not the converter. Good luck.
Hondata
HPE

Post by HPE »

Not sure if it answers your question but I'm running the original Stack dash in my 2000 S1 Elise (non-Federal obviously! - Australian delivered) and a K20A with the Hondata Kpro.

Can't help with the technical know-how but it seems as though it should be do-able for you.
MartynL

Post by MartynL »

Hey guys - just a quick update on this...

It's looking good from my end - just a couple of queries around the install instructions that might clear up a couple of things.

My car's a non-A/C'd Car, so I don't have the AC switch / pressure inputs and Relay outputs available to wire to the Honda E connector - I can quite easily 'make' (fake) these inputs / signals, knowing what they are from the Lotus wiring schematics - what I guess I'm asking, is that are they needed?I.e. in their absence, will the CAN Signals to the Dash still be meaningful to the cluster converter/cluster?

Also - a little bit of clarity on the Wiring Table in the install instructions:

I'm running a 2011 dash. (Via a small conversion harness from the early model/non-federal switchpack, to realign the inputs to the correct pins. Everything is working perfectly. (Backlight, Hazards, DI, main beam indicators, alarm tell tale etc...)

So with a 2008+ dash, Pin 2 (Black) from the Hondata Dash Driver should be connected up to Pin 3 (White) on the Hondata Dash Driver? Correct? Pin 3 (White) is then wired to ground via the momentary switch on the steering column? (I'm taking that as splicing it into the non-GND side of the switch...)

If you've any pics of your install, Hondata, that might help a lot in understanding! Much appreciated.

Oh, I already get the 2 flashes of the LED (2008+ dash), and after a couple of seconds, the constant stream of data flashing the LED indicating serial data from SEFMJ/E24. so that's good...

Here's the car, fired up for the first time last night: Nervous moments, but finally started it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDS4irP8tg
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You do not need to wire the AC up if you do not have it.

The switch input for the converter should be a separate switch, not the existing switch for trip reset, using pins 2 and 3.
Hondata
MartynL

Post by MartynL »

Perfect - Thanks for the quick reply!