Greddy Kit & K-Pro, Nology wires, NGK BKR8EIX plugs

Questions / support for the K-Series ECU re-flash
soccerman002

Greddy Kit & K-Pro, Nology wires, NGK BKR8EIX plugs

Post by soccerman002 »

I've got the Nology Hotwires installed on my car at the moment, and have a question that I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on. I want to know if everything would run properly if I leave the Nology wires installed and swap out my current spark plugs for the NGK BKR8EIX set, along with running the Greddy Turbo and K-Pro. I've searched for about 30 minutes on ClubRSX and found threads where people went back to stock, and others where people swapped plugs and were fine.

If there is ANY chance that I will have problems with the Nology wires, I will most definitely take them out (I will probably end up taking them out anyway just to be safe), but was curious if the colder plugs would make a difference in the compatibility.

I'm aware that K-Pro and Nology don't usually along, but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The problem is not specific to K-Pro (which is a stock ECU after all) - external coils generate a lot of EMF which effects any electronics in the car.

We saw a car with external coils which would run normally with the hood open, but causes ECU errors with the hood shut (the hood was increasing the EMF). Natuarally with was blamed on the ECU and we had to sort it out ...

What advantage is there running external coils? The stock coil pack provides about 50 times the energy necessary to ignite the mixture. There are, however, good reasons not run run external coils (#1 == EMF).

The non resistor spark plugs are much, much worse for EMF than the external coils. I measured about 200V peak to peak on the 5V internal ECU power supply. How happy is the ECU with that sort of interferrence?
Hondata
soccerman002

Post by soccerman002 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I was planning on taking them out prior to purchasing K-Pro or installing the Greddy kit. I suppose I was looking for an explanation, and you provided that. Thank you again.

_Brandon S.