PWM components installed but pwm not working

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
shanebadoo

PWM components installed but pwm not working

Post by shanebadoo »

Asking for help from those good with the ecu circuitry. First off let me say that the I have never gotten the pwm components to work in this ecu although they are installed correctly. What I want to know is if my ecu is missing additional components that is preventing the pwm components from working. I know that it's not an external wiring problem because I've tried another obd 1 tuning solution and it has worked flawlessly. All I did was unplug that ecu and put in a p28 with the s300 and nothing for pwm. Perhaps in a later software release, hondata could put a test feature for pwm to make sure the solenoid is ticking. I have never seen the pwm datalog button indicate "on" nor ever hear any ticking from the solenoid. Now for information:-

1. the ecu is a p28 with s300 installed.
2. the board is IPT and the number is 02D011F0-1500
3. In the smanager software in the show ecu info, everything is green ticked.
4. firmware version is 1.04
5. here are some pics of the ecu with the pwm components installed. They were bought from Xenocron and the install directions for components were followed.

IMG_1835 by shanebadoo, on Flickr

IMG_1839 by shanebadoo, on Flickr

IMG_1838 by shanebadoo, on Flickr

IMG_1833 by shanebadoo, on Flickr

IMG_1832 by shanebadoo, on Flickr

About Hondata screenshot by shanebadoo, on Flickr

The only thing I have done is to cut r136 and r138 to get the plx wideband to read better. I have noticed that j12 looks like it might have had something removed from there. Other than that I am open to suggestions about what could be missinf from the a11 circuit. Thanks all!!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: PWM components installed but pwm not working

Post by Spunkster »

Even without the components installed it should show in datalogging that you are outputting a PWM duty cycle. IF this is not happening then you either do not have the parameters set correctly, or you have not even uploaded your calibration to the ECU.
shanebadoo

Post by shanebadoo »

ok spunkster. I have tried recommended parameters from locash to get the pwm to datalog with the key on engine off that I can hear the solenoid. I have been unable to do this. In the parameters under boost control, I cannot set activation pressure low enough that it comes on with the engine off. I have actually tried with the engine idling as well but was unsuccessful also. When I enter negative numbers in the activation pressure box and save, the software is automatically changing the values to a big positive number. Seems as though it doesn't like negative values in that field. When I made the changes, I saved calibration and ctrl+u to upload. I saw the upload blink so I believe I did that right. Any help is appreciated still.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If the parameters are met then you will see the duty cycle in the sensor list when datalogging. This will work without even having the components installed or having a solenoid hooked up. Check your parameters and make sure they are being met.
shanebadoo

Post by shanebadoo »

will go outside and try now.
shanebadoo

Post by shanebadoo »

can anyone give me a sure way to activate the pwm in parameters using sure numbers in the activation psi field? Here are two screenshots with engine off and engine idling. All calibrations were saved and uploaded.

s300idle by shanebadoo, on Flickr

key on engine off by shanebadoo, on Flickr

Hey Spunkster, I really appreciate your help. Next time you're able to try, please let me know some settings that worked for you in this version of the software to get pwm to display in smanager with key on engine off. Whenever I try to set negative values in the activation pressure field, smanager changes that value to a very big positive value when I save the calibration.
shanebadoo

Post by shanebadoo »

same problem from this user.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3060586

Except I'm using the recommended solenoid, which is of no consequence. Can't get to the bottom of this at all.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Inches cannot be negative numbers. Use a positive 29.
shanebadoo

Post by shanebadoo »

UPDATE: Ok I have made progress. I was unable to get the software to trigger pwm with key on engine off. I made a comment in a1320's post on ht

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3094827

and xenocron made a suggestion. He put forward maybe there's a rpm minimum limit involved with the pwm triggering. I took his suggestion and was testing the pwm with key on engine on @ idle. With the car idling I can make the software trigger pwm by setting activation pressure to 29.5 inches and adjusting the fixed duty cycle either higher or lower. I connected a bulb to a 12 v source and the neg to a11 on the ecu. With the car idling I was able to vary the intensity of the light bulb with the pwm settings, so I know for sure that it's working indeed. To re-iterate, I have only gotten this to work with the engine running!!

Big thanks to xenocron,mtber,spunkster and a1320 for your help with this.