07-08 AUDM CL9 - US ECU fails to communicate to HDM via OBD2

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2007-2008 US TSX
chr1s

07-08 AUDM CL9 - US ECU fails to communicate to HDM via OBD2

Post by chr1s »

Hi Guys,

Now I've seen it all over here that people say run the US ecu and flashpro, it works on my CL9 bla, bla bla. Now.. you guys seem to have the 03-05 CL9s? I have the '07-08 so all I had to do was buy the ECU and Flashpro, I confirmed the flashpro doesn't work on AUDM ecu before buying the US model one.

I plug the US ECU in then proceed to connect the HDM tool to change over my immobiliser and the HDM fails to connect with the ECU. Works fine on the AUDM one, but doesn't want to talk to the US one, how is this happening if the HDM is a global device with options for US, Japan, South Africa, etc etc.

The HDM/HIM is latest and up to date, works on 2012 CRV, no dramas.

I just checked the pinouts on ECU's, they are identical, K line, CANL, CANH are in the same spot.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is a dud ECU.... I got it second hand of k20a.org and was claimed to be working condition.
beaugus

Re: 07-08 AUDM CL9 - US ECU fails to communicate to HDM via

Post by beaugus »

Hi chr1s,

I'm unable to answer your question myself but I may be able to offer some further advice,

Are you attempting to connect to the ECU through a genuine dealership HDS module? either the H.I.M or GNA600 or are you using one of the HDS replica units found off eBay or OBD2 websites?

The HDS software generally is global compatible for Acura and Honda systems when setup correctly but depending on the dealer code used the software may lock out access to anything that that dealer code has not been registered to handle or an incorrect dealer code has been used at the time of setup.

Anything to do with the Immobilizer or Smart Keys requires a pass code input which ONLY dealerships are authorized to access as it is available through the Honda Intranet network and when the correct procedures are followed and documented by the dealership to warrant access to that area of the ECU.

Also just as a thought, was the ECU you obtained used previously or was it shipped VIN-Coded Blank? I'm not aware if ECU's that have been previously VIN coded can be re-coded but I may be wrong on this but this could also contribute to the issue you are experiencing and may be worth following up with your local dealer.

I've recently ordered a Flashpro unit, Harness and 07-08 ECU for my 05' Model AUDM Accord Euro CL9 so my situation will be different to you however I have already inquired with my local dealer regarding having the new ECU and Immobilizer coded to my vehicle which they have confirmed they are capable of doing.

I also have access to a HDS H.I.M module thats why I already know all access to the Immobilizer area requires additional and proprietary input that only a dealership has access to, there may be ways around this however it would be considered circumventing the protection methods Honda have put in place to protect owners and may be illegal to attempt on your own otherwise.

Either way, it may just be worth inquiring about used ECU's, 07-08 onward ECU's from Honda when paired with vehicles have the VIN already coded to them, it is my understanding that when purchasing a brand new ECU from the dealer they ship without any VIN coded to them. - If anything, this could be the reason why you are having difficulty.

If you manage to find out more info please let us know for the future reference of others who may run into the same issue.
K_A_N_O

Post by K_A_N_O »

interesting.

i have a used ecu currently on its way to me.

im not in AUS but im in the UK not sure how much different our accords are from each other?

ill let you know how i get on with pairing it to mine
05 UKDM CL9 Accord.
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

Thanks K_A_N_O, again I may be entirely wrong about the used ECU thing all together but it could in fact be something as simple as that and I thought it may just be worth the suggestion or at least another thing to rule out.

Also I'm not too sure what the significant differences are (if any) between your UK model Accord and our AUDM models here, my best guess would be (outside of any cosmetic differences) our original ECU's would have a different part number to account for the varying operating range differences between climates and common fuel types etc.

Wikipedia defines the Accord and Euro models to both feature the K24A3 engine so I assume there are no significant differences between our standard engines.

K24A3
Found in:
2003-2007 Honda Accord (Europe) and Japan(JDM)) and 2003-2007 Honda Accord Euro CL9 (Australia, New Zealand)
Displacement: 2,354 cc (143.6 cu in)
Bore and Stroke: 87 mm x 99 mm (3.43 x 3.90 inches)
Compression: 10.5:1
Power: 189 hp (140 kW) @ 6800 rpm
Torque: 164.5 lb·ft (223;N·m) @ 4500 rpm
VTEC Engagement: 6000 rpm
Redline: 7200 rpm

Please keep us posted on any outcome as every bit of knowledge helps the Hondata community :)
chr1s

Post by chr1s »

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

The HDM/HIM unit I'm working with has transferred immobilizer keys over many times with no problems. So I can't see the unit being the fault. I will try another dealer and see how I go, finding a good one that is willing to sort this thing out is hard enough.

I highly doubt the ECU came blank, but you do make a valid point, Hondata didn't offer international support for these ECU's for nothing, perhaps there is something more important we're overlooking? I was hoping it would be a matter of re-pinning the communication lines...

From what I understand, the AUDM and UKDM models are the same. Do you know when your used ECU will land?

I won't get a chance to have the dealer try this until next week. I just can't wait to get this going, the OEM map in this car is just horrid...and having a flashpro/ecu sitting around for nearly 3 months is sort of a strange feeling too...
K_A_N_O

Post by K_A_N_O »

My ecu has landed but I have to wait for a letter from customs before I can go pick it up. So could be next week or even the week after :-/

I will keep you updated :-)

i just need to run the canbus cable from the ecu to the obd2 socket and im good to go once my ecu arrives.

i would have thought the audm and ukdm euros would be pretty much exactly the same wouldnt they? maybe as you have allready said slight changes in the ecu's to accomendate for the differences in climate.
05 UKDM CL9 Accord.
Zoro2006

Post by Zoro2006 »

first of all you must connect Hondata supplied wiring CAN --> OBD II bus port before doing IMMO work on US ECU !!! You just pair your IMMO module with TSX ECU thats all, for this you need VIN and generated code by your Honda dealer.Doesn't matter if ECU new or used.
Known as Vaikis_
K_A_N_O

Post by K_A_N_O »

yes i know i need to install a canbus cable first ;)

thats what i will be doing after work today :)
05 UKDM CL9 Accord.
chr1s

Post by chr1s »

Why would I need that adapter if my car is already using CAN communications to the OBD2 port?
K_A_N_O

Post by K_A_N_O »

You don't need the adapter harness.

I do.

Sorry bit off topic there.
05 UKDM CL9 Accord.
chr1s

Post by chr1s »

Hi Gents,

Any progress with you fellow guys from the UK?

Cheers,
mabo

Post by mabo »

Dude , i highly doubt you have CAN wired to your obd connector off the line. I have 08 SE version of EDM CL9 which is the last restyle they produced. It has same ECU ( internals r the the same ) as 03-06 cars. Its not flashpro compatible and no CAN wires in mine OBD, i had to throw in 2 pins and wire em to ECU . Check everything twice and post pics of your OBD connector here to see if im right . Old ecu used kline for communication, a71 and a21 ones use CAN, thats why HIM wont see your ECU. Only 07-08 TSX has ECU which is flashpro compatible and only USDM cars has CAN already wired to OBD.

Japs leave best intakes and cams for JDM , yankees have flashpro compatible ecus.. that sucks Lol . At least we have the prettiest chicks here )
K_A_N_O

Post by K_A_N_O »

Im UK . Should be picking my flashpro up tonight or tomorrow . Waiting for the pick up letter to arrive so I can go pick it up.
05 UKDM CL9 Accord.