Flashpro triggers VSA error and blinking check engine symbol

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2007-2008 US TSX
mabo

Flashpro triggers VSA error and blinking check engine symbol

Post by mabo »

Today i wasnt able to flash ecu , even after 40 min of drive and 30-40 min of idle. Im tuning my car for almost 10 days , some days i have good flashing luck , some - not , but story all the same - WEN error. Checked again everything , wires , voltage , everything looks fine. Flashpro was connected all that time and i got occasional VSA error multiple times during idle or driving, it just pops up and disappeared after ign on off cycle. I noted that check eng light is occasionally blinking during flashing attempt, not every attempt , just during few of em. Also i noted that this CEL is blinking fast when flashpro attached to OBD, not all the time, not during datalogging , not flashing , just attached to obd, no matters engine run or not. I have pics and video of this , can upload to youtube on request.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Flashpro triggers VSA error and blinking check engine sy

Post by Hondata »

What vehicle do you have? Where are you located?
Hondata
mabo

Post by mabo »

My car isnt supported oficially, its EDM CL9. I often see CEL is blinking once or more while im inserting flashpro to obd connector. It may be because of bad connection. I just pulled all pins out of connector and tried to push em to flashpro plug contacts separately, few of em r holding good , few r loose ... My obd connector is new , never ever plugged in anything before flashpro.

I have to try one last thing to absolutely exclude wiring problems or obd connector problems, or other connectors or plugs in harness between ecu and obd - i wanna weld wires directly to ecu pins or spots they r soldered in, then solder em to something more reliable in connection, com port plug for example.
Just need a lil help from you to do this more easily. OBD has 9 wires, please tell me which of em r used to flash and datalog ecu ?

WEN pin, both GND pins , both CAN pins , power pin, do i need to add the rest 3 pins ?
Both GND r shorted to chassis as i see , do i need to find em both in ecu connectors or just can add one of em from chassis or ecu ? I really wanna help you and tsxers to finally find the problem of that flashing errors and other weird things so help me )
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I'm surprised it works at all. The VSA uses the same CAN bus as is in the OBDII connector and if there is any problem with the wiring it is going to affect the VSA to ECU communication. My suggestion would be to put the terminals back in the OBDII connector.
Hondata
mabo

Post by mabo »

Hondata wrote:I'm surprised it works at all. The VSA uses the same CAN bus as is in the OBDII connector and if there is any problem with the wiring it is going to affect the VSA to ECU communication. My suggestion would be to put the terminals back in the OBDII connector.
Im sorry, could you explain more detailed ?

You surprized it works at all )) Works what ? Ecu flashing or VSA ? VSA stop working after i plug flashpro to OBD , not every time but datalogging works just fine all the time.

I found CAN wires on ecu E plug and connected directly to em . Is there any difference where to connect to CAN ?
Do i need to connect Flashpro to CAN connector in the glove box as in your manual or any CAN wires i can find in the car wiring is just fine for it ?

You said to put terminals back to OBD , i havent take out anything of it , i just added 2 pins for CAN and relocated immo pin . So i have nothing to put back.

Everything was almost fine for a week after first flash , i got occasional WEN error on cold car as anyone has, which disappeared after engine run \ interior heating. Then it becomes harder and harder to flash , then VSA error and CEL blinking starts to appear and now i cant flash , have WEN error all the time. ECU works fine tho. All connection has been traced from pins in opened flashpro box to ecu connectors. Flashpro cable was traced also .

So please tell me what lines are used during ecu flashing \ datalogging . GND , PWR, CAN and WEN or other lines r working too ? I may have problems with E connector itself so i want to connect flaspro directly to ECU board.

What voltage do i need to have on my battery to flash it for shure ? 12 ? 12.5 ? 13 ?
core58

Post by core58 »

mabo wrote:
You surprized it works at all )) Works what ? Ecu flashing or VSA ?
i'm sure Hondata means its surprising that VSA works at all because it should NOT, since VSA using just the same line.
so if line fails to keep connection, VSA should fail as well.
mabo

Post by mabo »

core, i havent cut CAN completely , i just connected to it on E connector , cut off isolation off wire and soldered to it. VSA works just fine untill i plug in flashpro to OBD .

As for voltage on WEN pin - Derek , i tried to measure it when i saw WEN error , something like 3 volts for few seconds . Can i supply those 3 volts from external source directly to ecu and will this help with WEN error ? How much volts WEN pin need to see to let flashing ? Maybe more then 3 volts ? I will brainstorm those errors !
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I just pulled all pins out of connector and tried to push em to flashpro plug contacts separately, few of em r holding good , few r loose
This was what I was referring to when I said I was surprised it was working at all.
Hondata
mabo

Post by mabo »

Hondata wrote:
I just pulled all pins out of connector and tried to push em to flashpro plug contacts separately, few of em r holding good , few r loose
This was what I was referring to when I said I was surprised it was working at all.
But i returned em back to connector after checking em !! Just bent few of em that were loose to make better contact.
mabo

Post by mabo »

Small update for this .

I recently checked \ reconnected almost all plugs and connectors i reached, under hood too. Added some more ground lines to chassis and ECU . Took out all pins out of OBD and bent em one more time . I dunno what actually helps but now i have almost 100% flash success, after some engine run of course. VSA error pop up and CEL blinking also gone. I guess it was wire tricks. I dunno how explain this , i had fine flash right out of the box so everything was fine with my car, then it get worse and worse and then i finished with 100% WEN error. Now all gone, hope forever.

And btw , flashpro isnt locked to VIN , its locked to something like ecu fw checksum and i guess it updates it every time after successful flash to see its the right ecu. Found this while used scanner to probably find a wiring problem and accidentally put in wrong VIN that was flashed to my ecu. Just last digit was wrong but Flashpro flashed it ) I found i have wrong VIN just after couple of days, all that time i flashed it without any problems. Nice work Derek !