Knock Threshold always at 0.00V

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
i vietec

Knock Threshold always at 0.00V

Post by i vietec »

Knock Threshold is always at 0.00V while Knock Level is above Knock Threshold. Yet I have no Knock Counts. Car drives normally without hesitation. Help!!!
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

What sort of ECU is this?
Hondata
i vietec

Post by i vietec »

Base RSX

I was Doug's test car for the JRSC
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Fixed for the next release.
Hondata
i vietec

Post by i vietec »

Thanks,

When will next release be?
conradb212

Post by conradb212 »

Hondata wrote:Fixed for the next release.
That is good, though I am not sure this means all K-Pro-ed base ECUs have this glitch or if it's unique to ivietec's car. HOWEVER, I think a lot of us K-Pro users would be very grateful for an explanation of how Hondata did or did not implement the knock sensor or any other measures involving knocking. As is, I gather that the stock Honda knock algorithms are suboptimal, or not implemented at all and knocking is handled some other way, and that it may have been replaced by Hondata algorithms. K.Retard continues to always be zero and I cannot see any ignition retarding, ever, during and after knocks. I believe Hondata ads in Honda Tuning initially referred to editable knock tables, but that was removed in the newest ad. So the whole thing remains a mystery, and one that I'd like to understand a bit better as it directly relates to understanding what my engine is actually doing under critical conditions.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Only the base RSX was affected.

Conrad, you must remember that we start with what Honda uses and then modify the behaviour to suit us. With the RSX Honda does not use any form of knock retard. We have not changed any of the behaviour in that area. There never have been editable knock tables.

Many times I regret adding parameters to the software which you can datalog, because of the questions it raises. Why has no one questioned Honda about the behaviour of knock retard on their cars? The same for the A/F ratio under full load.
Hondata
conradb212

Post by conradb212 »

Hondata wrote:Only the base RSX was affected.

Conrad, you must remember that we start with what Honda uses and then modify the behaviour to suit us. With the RSX Honda does not use any form of knock retard. We have not changed any of the behaviour in that area. There never have been editable knock tables.

Many times I regret adding parameters to the software which you can datalog, because of the questions it raises. Why has no one questioned Honda about the behaviour of knock retard on their cars? The same for the A/F ratio under full load.
However, in Honda Tuning's article on the K-Series, Doug, in response to the mag's statement "All of the [K-Series] have a knock sensor that's very sensitive" is quoted as saying, "We've documented a situation where the ECU is pulling out timing because of the knock sensor, but listening to the engine, there's no knock." Since you say that Honda did not implement a knock retard, did Honda Tuning Magazine get it wrong?