CEL flashes 5 times at startup (key at II)

Questions / support for the K-Series ECU re-flash
walk2k

CEL flashes 5 times at startup (key at II)

Post by walk2k »

Car is a 2002 RSX-S with Hondata reflash #4.

When I turn the key to II (not started), the CEL light comes on (normal) then after about 20 seconds it goes off (this is normal). But after it goes off, it flashes 5 times, then goes off permanently.

Car seems to run ok, feeling VTEC come on sooner when you really step on it.. The idle will take a few cycles to settle down I guess.. but is the flashing thing a concern?
Last edited by walk2k on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

This would not be caused from the reflash. Are you sure you don't have the service check connector jumpered?
walk2k

Post by walk2k »

You mean the OBDII DLC?

I put a jumper on OBDII DLC as shown here -> http://www.k-series.com/tech_document.php?id=37

Turn to II: CEL on, does not flash at all (that means no code stored, right?).

Pulled jumper off, pulled ECU fuse = 5 flashes, no change.

Pulled ECU fuse, pulled all 3 wiring harness off the ECU, checked for loose wires, all wires look ok. (I admit I pulled on the wires a little bit originally to get the ECU out, those things are a bitch...) Replaced fuse = no change.

Put jumper back on to check code again = no code.

Do you know what 5 flashes means??

Like I said, car seems to run fine, little worried about the CEL flashing though.

CEL does not flash or come on during driving, even extreme acceleration uphill.

Oh I checked fuel cap too, it's tight...

I also put an intake on recently, pretty sure the CEL didn't flash after that though, I was pretty anal about waiting for it to turn off (about 18-19 seconds) before turning on ignition. I drove it a little bit, then pulled the ECU the same day... I did check all the sensor wires (AIT, etc) around the intake that you have to mess with when installing intake, they all seem ok..
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The reflash will not make your CEL flash. The only thing that will make it flash is if you have the service check connector jumpered.
walk2k

Post by walk2k »

Well, there's nothing connected, and it's flashing. This didn't start happening until I replaced the flashed ECU.

EDIT again.. Apparently it's "emissions readiness code" (pg 277 in the manual) For future reference.
Last edited by walk2k on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

This is the readiness code completion status. It should go away once the car has completed 3-4 driving cycles.
Hondata
walk2k

Post by walk2k »

Yes thank you! I have driven it more than that, but the procedure on page 299-300 says how you can accelerate the process (ie drive at 50-60 mph for 20 minutes... almost did that, but then reset the ECU since..)
walk2k

Post by walk2k »

It's back to normal as of my drive out to the beach today 8)
Took about 120 miles I'm guessing.