SManager file corrupt???

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
HONDA GHANDI

SManager file corrupt???

Post by HONDA GHANDI »

Today during tuning I encountered the weirdest shit I have ever seen. Right now I am blaming windows Vista but Im not so sure. I have been using the newest version of SManager with no issues. I let the car sit and cool for about an hour, then came back to it and my SManager window was closed. (Thank God I saved) When I tried to open the SManager I got a message that read the shortcut I was trying to access no longer exists. WHA? So I go into the program list and try to open it from there and I get a virus message from AVG virus software that the SManager is a Klone virus.
So, I tried to turn off the virus software and re-open it, now Im getting this error message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate access to the item"

So I right clicked on the Smanager application and selected "Run as administrator" and I get this error message:

"Unable to execute file, create process failed; Code 5. Acccess denied"

Uninstalled, and deleted everything, reloaded, same problem.

You have any suggestions for me at all?

Edit= Kmanager is the same way now. Cant tune anything except S100 at this point. :(

Edit #2- System restore back to Sunday when it worked fine. Still no dice. Im about ready to take a sawzall to this fucking windows Vista and see whats inside it.
High altitude tuner www.tcperf.com
HONDA GHANDI

Post by HONDA GHANDI »

Ugh, what a long night.

Uninstalled the corrupted KManager and SManager files, uninstalled the AVG software (found this is the only way to get it to totally stop working) and re-installed the KManager and SManager software. Now everything works fine. I tried re-installing AVG and as soon as it updates itself, it boots K and S Managers again. FU AVG!!!!

So, my question is, what spyware/virus software would you guys recommend that works?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

On a laptop just used for tuning you don't need any anti-virus software. Otherwise use anti-virus software set to scan on a regular basis and disable active protection / monitoring.
Hondata
HONDA GHANDI

Post by HONDA GHANDI »

This is my only computer. Not just my tuning machine.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

My first suggestion would be to go back to WIndows XP and ditch Vista.

Norton seems to be a little les intrusive and less detrimental to the system. I don't even run antivirus on my own PC.
cxcivic

Post by cxcivic »

I just had the same problem. I also have AVG, but im on Windows xp. Very frustrating. :x
FASTCRX
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Problem is AVG, not our software.
HONDA GHANDI

Post by HONDA GHANDI »

I wonder if AVG can be configured to ignore the Hondata stuff at all.
jzp456

Post by jzp456 »

Well i just had the same problem as well. I have been running AVG free for as long as i have had my laptop and i have been running Kmanager for about 6 months problem free. I guess that maybe when AVG updated there was something in the update that doesn't like kmanager. dang it. i really liked AVG and i dont really wanna get rid of it. Has anyone figured anything out yet besides deleting AVG?

oh yea and im on XP
HONDA GHANDI

Post by HONDA GHANDI »

So far no dice. I am trying the Avast free version of their anti-spyware today.
Lococoin

Post by Lococoin »

Im having the same issue. I just deleted AVG for now, it seems like it started yesterday after the virus update from AVG
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Both the SManager application and the SManager install program are digitally signed - you can view the certificate under properties. If any changes are made to the program, such as by a virus, the certificate will no longer be valid. So as long as the certificate is valid, there is no virus.

The way virus scanners work is by scanning every file for a virus signature, which is usually a fairly short binary sequence. For whatever reason AVG is finding this in SManager (and KManager).

AVG will eventually update their definitions and the problem will go away. Until then, remove KManager and SManager from directories scanned by AVG and add them to the real time scanning exclusions.
Hondata
turbosi92

Post by turbosi92 »

I have confirmed that the new version fixes this issue on both of my PC's.

Download 8 here.

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus- ... tag=button

or here

http://www.grisoft.cz/filedir/inst/avg_ ... 0a1295.exe
ITR 1102

Post by ITR 1102 »

turbosi92 wrote:I have confirmed that the new version fixes this issue on both of my PC's.

Download 8 here.

or here

I now have it working correctly with version 8 of AVG... Simply downloading and installing the new version won't fix it though. You have to add an exception in the resident shield options... The update to version 8 is necessary though because version 7 does not have the option for allowing exceptions AFAIK.
turbosi92

Post by turbosi92 »

ITR 1102 wrote:
turbosi92 wrote:I have confirmed that the new version fixes this issue on both of my PC's.

Download 8 here.

or here

I now have it working correctly with version 8 of AVG... Simply downloading and installing the new version won't fix it though. You have to add an exception in the resident shield options... The update to version 8 is necessary though because version 7 does not have the option for allowing exceptions AFAIK.
I didn't have to add it but did anyway. I'm on XP.