E85 calibration

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
sprinto7

E85 calibration

Post by sprinto7 »

I am running a 2002 RSX-S engine with RC 550 injectors, IPSK2 cams, 4-2-1header, no cat, 3 1/2" short pipe.
Recently I've been running E85, that's 85% ethanol and 15% gas. I'm using the standard IPSK2 calibration with 75% increased fuel trim. Mileage sucks, but power "feels" good. My Lambda readings are in the .8 range at WOT.
Try at your own risk.
Del Long
Corey872

Post by Corey872 »

Nice to see someone else running the corn juice. Down here in KS, we aren't quite swimming in the stuff like IA, but it is available. I just polished off a couple tanks, got about 28MPG, (so far best gas MPG looks to be about 32) but still need to do a lot more tuning on the part-throttle maps.

I am surprised that you bumped the fuel trim 75%?? I only turned mine up 25% and was still running rich in a lot of areas. If you are light-throttle cruising at 0.8 lambda, that seems a little rich to me. I've been trying to trim down to 1.00 - 1.03 range for the light throttle stuff. 0.8 is good for WOT, though.
Corey

E85 fueled Acura RSX-S Turbo w/ KPro
∙ 12.5:1 CR ∙ Precision Billet 5857E @ 15psi ∙ OBX Sidewinder ∙ ID 1000's ∙ ACT XTSS ∙ OBX LSD ∙ Custom 3" Magnaflow SS Exhaust
sprinto7

Post by sprinto7 »

Corey872 wrote:Nice to see someone else running the corn juice. Down here in KS, we aren't quite swimming in the stuff like IA, but it is available. I just polished off a couple tanks, got about 28MPG, (so far best gas MPG looks to be about 32) but still need to do a lot more tuning on the part-throttle maps.

I am surprised that you bumped the fuel trim 75%?? I only turned mine up 25% and was still running rich in a lot of areas. If you are light-throttle cruising at 0.8 lambda, that seems a little rich to me. I've been trying to trim down to 1.00 - 1.03 range for the light throttle stuff. 0.8 is good for WOT, though.
Mine is a autocross only application. I have dropped the mix back to 65%. It runs so well there I haven't changed it, but plan to do more testing next spring.
PS the car finished second in both D Modifed and E Modified at the SCCA SOLO Nationals.
Del Long
BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie »

Are you guys running stock compression ratio? Corey, any daily driving? Tell me your experience.
Razathorn

Post by Razathorn »

I thought the RSX fuel system was not capable of running E85 without damage? Am I missing something?
2003 black RSX type-s / jrsc @ 12psi / methanol injection / aftercooled
BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie »

Corey872 wrote: If you are light-throttle cruising at 0.8 lambda, that seems a little rich to me. I've been trying to trim down to 1.00 - 1.03 range for the light throttle stuff. 0.8 is good for WOT, though.
are you driving in open loop?
BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie »

Corey872 wrote: If you are light-throttle cruising at 0.8 lambda, that seems a little rich to me. I've been trying to trim down to 1.00 - 1.03 range for the light throttle stuff. 0.8 is good for WOT, though.
are you driving in closed loop? if so, how do you adjust target ratio?
Razathorn

Post by Razathorn »

BongoBennie wrote:
are you driving in closed loop? if so, how do you adjust target ratio?
It's worth noting that the wideband doesn't actually know what fuel you're running, so closed loop is really, just as before, trying to operate at stoich. It won't be the same 'actual' a/f, but the lambda will be the same. Basically, the a/f will be 14.7 on the read out, but that will not be the a/f, it will be the a/f if you had petrol in the tank. If the target a/f is 14.7, it should try to maintain 1.0 lambda, which won't really be 14.7 a/f, but it will be reported as such.

Wayne
2003 black RSX type-s / jrsc @ 12psi / methanol injection / aftercooled
wrussi

Post by wrussi »

so to clarify this one can run e85 on a ep3 or dc5 without any other modification other than proper tunning?

compared to petrol gasoline, do you have to richen or lean out the mixture when running e85?
BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie »

yes, you need to add about 30% more fuel
Teamko

Post by Teamko »

there is no savings in e85 unless your getting it dirt cheap... you get much worse fuel economy and less power
Corey872

Post by Corey872 »

Just filled up today:

E85 - 2.39/gal, I get 27MPG = about 9 cents/mile

Premium - 3.09/gal, I get 31MPG = about 10 cents/mile

So I would call that a 10% savings. If you consider 27mpg "much worse" than 31mpg, I guess you got me there. I don't know about less power...With E85 at 105 octane, being able to tune to the full extent of the engine and turbo helps substantially, it's just a matter of putting in the right amount of fuel. You aren't tweaking the timing and boost around detonation from crappy low octane 'premium' gas.

I'm tempted to ask, Teamko, are you just re-stating rumors and wive's tales that you've heard or have you actually used E85 and not had good results?
Corey

∙ 12.5:1 CR ∙ Precision Billet 5857E @ 15psi ∙ OBX Sidewinder ∙ ID 1000's ∙ ACT XTSS ∙ OBX LSD ∙ Custom 3" Magnaflow SS Exhaust
Teamko

Post by Teamko »

many studies have been done to determine weather E85 is worth it.

www.fueleconomy.gov is one the government wants fuel efffeciency and less pollution... compare the fuel cost and numbers from vehicles that use e85 or regular fuels... the final value is always worse with E85.

and you have less power race cars don't use high octane or race fuel for a reason.

try racing an RSX with same mods as you... if the drivers are equal in skill you'll lose.
Corey872

Post by Corey872 »

What ever you want to believe.
Corey

Teamko

Post by Teamko »

hate to have to put it to you this way....

but no whatever YOU want to believe!

Every single person who races cars in the world is not wrong and you are right.