ECU hardware issues

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
chunky

ECU hardware issues

Post by chunky »

I'll tell the story from the start so you have all the details in chronological order.

A customer/friend of mine has a 2005 Civic SI. He installed a used Greddy turbo kit on the car shortly after purchasing it. Unfortunately, the used kit did not have any heat wrap provided. The net result is that he burned his wiring harness. After that happened, he decided to swap to a k20a2 motor because it would come with a new engine harness. He purchased one from a reputable dealer and had it professionally installed and tuned by a shop in Baltimore. The shop's dynapack (hub dyno) showed only 186hp on a car that had full bolton modifications (cold air, dc race header, exhaust).

The car was brought to me for the installation of skunk2 stage I cams & pro valve train. After doing the install as I was doing some street tuning, the CAMCMD was moving based on the maps, but the CAM (actual) value was reporting as 0. We replaced the main VTC system sensors (cam phase, VTC solenoid) hoping that was the cause. The problem persisted. In order to determine if the wiring was bad or the ECU was bad, I took a risk and plugged in the k-pro from my own ep3 into his car. With my k-pro the car worked perfectly with one exception. During one of the street tuning pulls, the cam angle failed to advance until about 6000rpm when it resumed normal operation up to redline. On the other 50-60 pulls and during normal driving, the cam angle issue did not show itself.

Now my question is this, it seems clear to me that the ECU is damaged with the possibility of damage to the wiring harness inside the car (causing the single cam angle glitch observed with my ECU in the car). I do not believe that the k-pro components are damaged as I did not have any issues with data logging or calibration upload.

Does Hondata repair any of the board components on the ECU itself? If the customer provides another donor ecu, could Hondata replace the ECU main board on the damaged k-pro unit? We're looking for the most cost effective solution as the purchase of a new k-pro unit (or even used) is something we'd like to avoid.

Thanks!
You can take me out of the race, but you can't take the race out of me.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It is a minimum of $100 plus shipping to swap a good K-Pro board to a new ecu. We then keep the damaged ecu to ensure that it does not re-enter the market.
shadowmd

Post by shadowmd »

yea this is my car that chunky is talkin about....i already got an ecu coming....so a minimum of $100.....the kpro seems fine...its jus the ecu itself....OE part....
chunky

Post by chunky »

Spunkster wrote:It is a minimum of $100 plus shipping to swap a good K-Pro board to a new ecu. We then keep the damaged ecu to ensure that it does not re-enter the market.
Thanks for the reply. It seems likely that the cost of a used ECU + mainboard swap would be the ideal.

What is the RMA procedure if any? Is there a downloadable form or should we just call Hondata prior to sending the unit?
scttydb411

Post by scttydb411 »

http://www.hondata.com/downloads/K_Problem_Report.doc

or

http://www.hondata.com/downloads/K_Problem_Report.html

this might help ya chunky. how's the weather been up there and how's your car been running?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You must call to get an RMA.
shadowmd

Post by shadowmd »

Spunkster wrote:You must call to get an RMA.
sorry but what's an RMA?
shadowmd

Post by shadowmd »

sorry for my lack of knowledge, but i want to get my car back to top shape asap......what would be the fastest way to do that? again sorry for the elementary question/responses
chunky

Post by chunky »

scttydb411 wrote:http://www.hondata.com/downloads/K_Problem_Report.doc

or

http://www.hondata.com/downloads/K_Problem_Report.html

this might help ya chunky. how's the weather been up there and how's your car been running?
ahhh, I knew there were some forms! Thanks man. Weather up here is great. 100+kPa atmospheric is great for n/a cars. so is the cold weather. I'll be back down in atl soon, putting in a new intake manifold and hopefully getting a solid tune done (finally). Maybe even a high octane tune. Thanks for the links
chunky

Post by chunky »

Spunkster wrote:You must call to get an RMA.
Thanks!

and Sam, once you get your 2nd ecu in hand, give me a call and I'll help you get the paperwork right.