dataloging

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
fasterthenU

dataloging

Post by fasterthenU »

I have a s300, I had dataloging problems, sent the ecu and s300 back to hondata they said it was fine, got it back, everything seemed to work, well I am on the dyno trying to make a pull, and it stops dataloging everytime around 7000rpm..
please someone, I am in the middle of the ocean(hawaii) and can not get this dam thing to work..
thank you
seth
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

First, run through this list:

1. Gounds. Check the correct bolt type has been used on the thermostat ground and it is not loose. Check that the valve cover ground bolts onto the steel stud, not the valve cover itself. Check that the ground strap on the transmission is there.

2. Plugs. You need either resistor plug wires or a resistor distributor cap, and both will work as well. In any case, make sure the spark plugs are resistor types.

3. Other electronics. Don't wire enything directly into the ECU harness (turbo timers, alarms etc). If there are any 'quick' or clamp type connectors in the wiring harness, remove these and solder the wires together. Make sure any VAFC harnesses have been exorcised and removed.

4. Ignition systems. Some of the aftermarket CDI systems create interrence if the body of the unit is grounded.

5. Rewiring. If you or a previous owner has had to fix/change/repair any wiring near the ECU, double check the wiring. Don't rely on wire colours - trace the wires, use the Helm manual and/or electrical troubleshooting manual to make sure everything is connected as it should be.

6. Look for anything strange when datalogging. The usual giveaway is a fluctuating battery voltage and/or fluctuating sensor readings.

If you still get disconnects then an extra ferrite core on the USB cable will fix the problem. Call us and we'll arrange to send one out.
Hondata
alex

Post by alex »

would the ferrite core be placed closest to the ecu?

Seth, when the datalogging stops, do you have to unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in to get the PC to recognize the connection?
go where crows go
know what crows know
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

the ferite should be placed closest to the laptop, and should be looped at least 2-3 times through the ferite
fasterthenU

Post by fasterthenU »

alex wrote:would the ferrite core be placed closest to the ecu?

Seth, when the datalogging stops, do you have to unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in to get the PC to recognize the connection?
no I do not have to un plug the usb, just restart the car..
fasterthenU

Post by fasterthenU »

Spunkster wrote:the ferite should be placed closest to the laptop, and should be looped at least 2-3 times through the ferite
the ferrite did nothing, the same old story, I even found some and put about six of them on the usb..
I will make a bet with someone, a trip to hawaii, a nice place to stay, food, Ill show them around, if they can get this car tuned..
fasterthenU

Post by fasterthenU »

fasterthenU wrote:
Spunkster wrote:the ferite should be placed closest to the laptop, and should be looped at least 2-3 times through the ferite
the ferrite did nothing, the same old story, I even found some and put about six of them on the usb..
I will make a bet with someone, a trip to hawaii, a nice place to stay, food, Ill show them around, if they can get this car tuned..
this still stands, I am not able to datalog with the s200 or s300. anyone want a trip to hawaii???
kesnut

Post by kesnut »

list all the things you have in the car, no matter how simple...
msd anything, gauges the works just list them out for us.

next do a run and record it and post it up...
one of the guys may see something you are not...
fasterthenU

Post by fasterthenU »

kesnut wrote:list all the things you have in the car, no matter how simple...

the car has
digital 7
HVC coil
1000cc RC
b-16 and GRS dist.
auto meter dual range tach
boost
oil pressure
water temp
honda plug wires
the right plugs
grounds are great
aem 3.5 bar map sensor
and a 3 bar map

the car will datalog sitting there running, reving it, but as soon as you do a pull you will loose the map trace or datalog around 6000rpm everytime..
cinq

Post by cinq »

fasterthenU wrote:

the car has
digital 7
HVC coil
1000cc RC
b-16 and GRS dist.
boost
oil pressure
water temp
honda plug wires
the right plugs
grounds are great
aem 3.5 bar map sensor
and a 3 bar map

the car will datalog sitting there running, reving it, but as soon as you do a pull you will loose the map trace or datalog around 6000rpm everytime..

The problem I think maybe your HVC coil....try using stock ignition and see. A friend of mine got something similar to your setup..and did the same thing...once we replaced the unit back to stock ignition...it works...maybe just a coincidence...but worth a try.

Another thing to try is plug back your stock map sensor...just to rule out that those sensors you have are working properly.

I wish I could that the trip there...:) Would be awesome.
fasterthenU

Post by fasterthenU »

cinq wrote:
fasterthenU wrote:

the car has
digital 7
HVC coil
1000cc RC
b-16 and GRS dist.
boost
oil pressure
water temp
honda plug wires
the right plugs
grounds are great
aem 3.5 bar map sensor
and a 3 bar map

The problem I think maybe your HVC coil....try using stock ignition and see. A friend of mine got something similar to your setup..and did the same thing...once we replaced the unit back to stock ignition...it works...maybe just a coincidence...but worth a try.

Another thing to try is plug back your stock map sensor...just to rule out that those sensors you have are working properly.

I wish I could that the trip there...:) Would be awesome.
I already did that, put it to a complete stock ignition, still the same thing..
Ill try the stock map, but it does it with the aem 3.5 and the gm style 3bar..
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Do you have the resistor box installed with those injectors.
fasterthenU

Post by fasterthenU »

Spunkster wrote:Do you have the resistor box installed with those injectors.
yes I have a honda resister box wired in..
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Have you tried the stock wiring harness yet?
Hondata
airshifter

Post by airshifter »

my datalogging seems to be doing the excact same thing on the dyno, I must internal log the pulls to get anything, If I'm connected to the ecu and make several changes while connected it will freeze up and I will have to unpllug the cable and plug it back up to be able to upload anymore changes, I didn't have this problem with some of the earlier versions of the software and still using the same laptop

I have a problem with the internal log working anytime I get any hard tire shake at the track, I will glance down when I'm stagging and it shows that it's datalogging but after the run when I go to download nothing there but the burnout