ignition timing table low side( with pic)

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Ichiro718

ignition timing table low side( with pic)

Post by Ichiro718 »

hello all,I got my car to start up! but im having a hunting idle. im looking at getting a new iacv, and a knock sensor, but can you all please take a look at the timing table. I didn't change anything, but its from the "b18c5 turbo rev9 kit". is it supposed to look like that? or should I try finding the source of the hunting idle, because with it revving up and down, its going through the table..?? what are your thoughts?
Attachments
timng table low side.jpg
timng table low side.jpg (445.87 KiB) Viewed 917 times
Ichiro718

Re: ignition timing table low side( with pic)

Post by Ichiro718 »

Here is a pic of how the idle is displayed on the graph. Now it's not going up and down, now it's holding then just dropping off. I ordered a new iacv and knock but can i disable the iacv just for now?
Attachments
IMG_20221203_180026.jpg
IMG_20221203_180026.jpg (3.37 MiB) Viewed 914 times
Ichiro718

Post by Ichiro718 »

Bump
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The table looks like that because it was not tuned above 11.9 Psi. The table has nothing to do with the idle issue you are describing. Without seeing the calibration and datalog it is difficult to say what it might be, but most likely it is a vacuum leak.
Ichiro718

Post by Ichiro718 »

I'm sorry about that. I didn't know if that's how stock timing looks. Yes I'm going to be installing a new iacv and knock sensor since i kept getting a code for that, but it wouldn't be stored. I have the data logging saved. Would that help? I'm going to be tracking the vacuum leak(s) but I'm scared😂😂😂it revs to like 4k and drop back off, i still have to break in, and tune and i don't want to ruin the engine trying to chase a vacuum leak. I have a smoke machine. Should i utilize it? Put the smoke nozzle at cold side tubing(i think cold side goes to throttle body) and smoke the engine out? Same principle as finding evap leaks.
Ichiro718

Post by Ichiro718 »

I'm sorry about that. I didn't know if that's how stock timing looks. Yes I'm going to be installing a new iacv and knock sensor since i kept getting a code for that, but it wouldn't be stored. I have the data logging saved. Would that help? I'm going to be tracking the vacuum leak(s) but I'm scared😂😂😂it revs to like 4k and drop back off, i still have to break in, and tune and i don't want to ruin the engine trying to chase a vacuum leak. I have a smoke machine. Should i utilize it? Put the smoke nozzle at cold side tubing(i think cold side goes to throttle body) and smoke the engine out? Same principle as finding evap leaks.
Ichiro718

Post by Ichiro718 »

so remember how you said the timing table wasn't tuned past 11.9. its basically one column. do you think(just your opinion of course)I can flatten that column to match the flow of the table? it looks pretty linear.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can try it and see how it reacts. You really should tune on the dyno under boost conditions for it is a controlled environment.
Ichiro718

Post by Ichiro718 »

I don't want that option, that's the thing😆so look at this. I cleaned up that same table with this. From comparing the 2, you can say the table i made would work better than the one I've been using?

General rule is .5 degrees for every pound of boost. I don't mind dialing it back so much then slowly add more. Am i on the right path? Again, I'm not going to a Dyno so I'm really calling out for people who've done street tuning, or tuning in general to at least tell me if the table i made is better than the one in the original pic, and if not, how can I make it better.
Attachments
3D version.
3D version.
IMG_20221206_125032.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 884 times
2D version.
2D version.
IMG_20221206_125046.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 884 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can only tune timing on the dyno as you need to measure power at the different settings to see what is best.