Newbie help

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
thedanpal

Newbie help

Post by thedanpal »

Hi. I have a 2011 FA5. I'm new to the tuning (used to old early 90s Hondas). I have some questions or could use some help.
My current mods are:
-HR CAI
-PLM V2 Tri-Y race header
-FullRace 3" exhaust
-Flashpro
Also have the Exedy lightened flywheel, but I don't know if that matters for this.
I'm currently running one of the race basemaps (CAI, HEADER, CATBACK) which from my understanding is more of a band-aid nowadays. I am getting a CEL for running lean (P0171).
Before doing any data logging and pulls, I wanted to see if there was a better basemaps to start with to make sure I don't cause damage.
No current plans to do any additional mods soon unless necessary to help it run better.

Thanks in advance!
EFICU

Re: Newbie help

Post by EFICU »

thedanpal wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:11 pm Hi. I have a 2011 FA5. I'm new to the tuning (used to old early 90s Hondas). I have some questions or could use some help.
My current mods are:
-HR CAI
-FullRace 3" exhaust
-Flashpro
Also have the Exedy lightened flywheel, but I don't know if that matters for this.
I'm currently running one of the race basemaps (CAI, HEADER, CATBACK) which from my understanding is more of a band-aid nowadays. I am getting a CEL for running lean (P0171).
Before doing any data logging and pulls, I wanted to see if there was a better basemaps to start with to make sure I don't cause damage.
No current plans to do any additional mods soon unless necessary to help it run better.

Thanks in advance!
Let us know what questions you might have...

And yes, the race calibrations are no longer required. Using a standard basemap will allow you to have a stock functioning fuel level gauge, and your oil life percentage will work properly. The race maps compromise the oil life percentage, and they make the gas gauge read a little different.

Since you have a good set of parts, and you don't plant to add any, I would recommend to go in and tune it properly by tuning each cam angle one by one and then using all that data to build the cam angle mapping and vtec rpm range. It usually takes 10-12 revisions, depending on any odd knock or some type of issues. This route will give you the best performance and makes sure that all tables are tuned.

What octane fuel do you run? And what type of climate are you in, what's the ambient temperature range, elevation, etc.
thedanpal

Post by thedanpal »

EFICU wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:29 pm
thedanpal wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:11 pm Hi. I have a 2011 FA5. I'm new to the tuning (used to old early 90s Hondas). I have some questions or could use some help.
My current mods are:
-HR CAI
-FullRace 3" exhaust
-Flashpro

Thanks in advance!
Let us know what questions you might have...

And yes, the race calibrations are no longer required. Using a standard basemap will allow you to have a stock functioning fuel level gauge, and your oil life percentage will work properly. The race maps compromise the oil life percentage, and they make the gas gauge read a little different.

Since you have a good set of parts, and you don't plant to add any, I would recommend to go in and tune it properly by tuning each cam angle one by one and then using all that data to build the cam angle mapping and vtec rpm range. It usually takes 10-12 revisions, depending on any odd knock or some type of issues. This route will give you the best performance and makes sure that all tables are tuned.

What octane fuel do you run? And what type of climate are you in, what's the ambient temperature range, elevation, etc.
I'm in Western Washington. So mild weather, about sea level. I usually get 92, but every now and then have to settle for 91, though it's not a common thing.
I'll go in and reflash with one of the non-race basemaps tonight.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Gotcha. It would probably be better and easier to start you on my stuff to tune everything with. But if you want to start with a regular basemap you can. The regular basemaps I will have to go in and make a lot of changes to make to act how we want.

Are you okay with tuning the long route, with 10-12 revisions, or would you need it done quicker?
thedanpal

Post by thedanpal »

EFICU wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:35 pm Gotcha. It would probably be better and easier to start you on my stuff to tune everything with. But if you want to start with a regular basemap you can. The regular basemaps I will have to go in and make a lot of changes to make to act how we want.

Are you okay with tuning the long route, with 10-12 revisions, or would you need it done quicker?
The long route is preferred if we get a better overall result.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it's really the only way to tune them right via e-tuning. It's sometimes interesting to see how different some cars can be with similar mods and even the same brands.

Here is the first one. This one will be the 0* cam with vtec at 4500. The 0 cam is the least powerful, so don't get discouraged, it gives us a base for moving forward. For datalogs, we need them to be in the 20 minute range with as much stop and go type driving as possible. On the drive, we need one wide open throttle (WOT) pull in third gear from 2500-8600. If you want the rev limiter lower, just let me know.
thedanpal.SD.Rev01 (0Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(21 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
thedanpal

Post by thedanpal »

EFICU wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:28 pm Yeah it's really the only way to tune them right via e-tuning. It's sometimes interesting to see how different some cars can be with similar mods and even the same brands.

Here is the first one. This one will be the 0* cam with vtec at 4500. The 0 cam is the least powerful, so don't get discouraged, it gives us a base for moving forward. For datalogs, we need them to be in the 20 minute range with as much stop and go type driving as possible. On the drive, we need one wide open throttle (WOT) pull in third gear from 2500-8600. If you want the rev limiter lower, just let me know.

thedanpal.SD.Rev01 (0Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
I am trying to attach my datalog and I guess the log is too large to attach. The datalogging rate was set to fast on my Flashpro, should I turn the sample rate down?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No, don't turn down the sample rate. We want it to be fast. If you go into the calibration I sent you, under the "calibration" tab, my email is in there with all your info. You can email it to me.
thedanpal

Post by thedanpal »

Email sent.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it looks great for a start. I went ahead and made some fuel changes, and ignition changes for the knock. This next one will be the 15* cam angle with vtec at 4500. On your third gear WOT pulls, try to get down as close to 2500 as you can before going WOT, and try to run it out to at least 8000 up top. I know it's kind of weird on the street, but that gives us the most data to make tuning choices. Other than that, the driving on the datalog was great.

That last datalog was so big because it was almost 48 minutes if I remember right. Shoot for 20 minutes and you should be fine to post them on here. You can turn off the datalog while you're driving by just pressing the datalog button on the FlashPro. So if your drive is running longer, just be sure to get the third gear WOT pull in the 20 minute window and then click off the datalog in the FlashPro. Whatever works for you.

Here is the next one for you.
thedanpal.SD.Rev02 (15Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(21.4 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
thedanpal

Post by thedanpal »

Thanks for the advice. Tried to start the WOT pulls a little sooner and hold it a little longer. I have an idea on a new spot so I can keep on it longer. And I kept to around 20 min this time actually.

Let me know if there is anything else. Thanks again!
thedanpaldatalog02.fpdl
(3.76 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

That one looked really good. We will now move to the 30* cam angle with vtec up at 5500 now. Take this one for the same type of datalog and driving, that last one was great.
thedanpal.SD.Rev03 (30Cam)(Vtec5500).fpcal
(22 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
thedanpal

Post by thedanpal »

Here is my latest datalog. Sorry for the delay, weather hasn't been the best to make a pull in.
Thanks again!
thedanpaldatalog03.fpdl
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay that one looked great. We will now do one on the 30* cam angle with vtec at 4000. Take this one for a spin when you can, you can do a ten minute datalog for this one if you'd like, just be sure to get a clean third gear WOT pull.

How cold was the ambient temp for this last datalog? And how cold does is get where you are? I'm curious because the injectors are close to max safe range, so I'm curious as to how cold it gets where you are, and how cold it was during this datalog? Let me know.

Here is the next one for you.
thedanpal.SD.Rev04 (30Cam)(Vtec4000).fpcal
(22.18 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
thedanpal

Post by thedanpal »

Last night was colder than normal, probably in the lower 30s. Most of our winter is in the low 40s normally.