07' FG2, Help Needed with Tune!

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
lucastec23

07' FG2, Help Needed with Tune!

Post by lucastec23 »

I just picked up a flash pro and flashed an AEM SRI tune on my car. The car is completely stock except for the AEM SRI, I took it for a drive and it works perfectly except It would start knocking when I would be in 5th-6th gear around 2500rpm. Please forgive my lack of knowledge as I am new to tuning but I really would like to learn the basics at least. Any help would be appreciated!
EFICU

Re: 07' FG2, Help Needed with Tune!

Post by EFICU »

Welcome to the Hondata platform. Are you saving the datalogs? If so, you need to open the datalog in FlashPro manager and look for the areas of knock. With the calibration open, once you've found the areas of knock, start by pulling 2* of ignition where that knock is happening and reinspect. Another thing a lot us do is to pull a couple degree out of gears 5 and 6 for that very reason. The engine is more prone to knock due to load in gears 5 and 6, so pulling a couple degrees out of those two gears usually helps with that issue.

If you want some help with it just let me know.
lucastec23

Post by lucastec23 »

Thank you for the reply! I do have a few data logs saved, the one I'm looking at now has 11 knocks in about 10 minutes. I've never tuned before so frankly I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at.
Attachments
datalog0003.fpdl
(2.49 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah so looking at it really quick, some of the knock you're having is somewhat caused by driving style. A couple happened when you went wide open throttle (WOT) in 6th gear at 45mph. That type of knock will be very hard to stop because there is so much load on the engine in 6th gear at 45mph and going WOT. These cars like to be wound up a bit, so I would recommend keeping it in a lower gear at those speeds, but it's totally up to you. Granted IMO there is too much timing anyways, just saying. I don't mean to tell you how to drive, so please don't take that personal.

You had a couple knock happen from simply too much timing IMO in a few other areas. You also have some very rich part throttle fuel trims and very rich on WOT. Are you looking to make changes yourself, or do you need some help with the MAF scaling and all that?

I have a really good basemap I built with another member for the K&N intake only. It's a hybrid calibration, so it runs the MAF sensor for part throttle and the MAP sensor (speed density) for the WOT fueling. It might be a better start for you and your setup if you want to try it out. Looking at it compared to the datalog, where you are showing knock I have less timing than your current calibration. Totally up to you, if you want to give it a try we can use that to clean up the tune for your car. Or we can clean up the Hondata file you're already on, just let me know if you want some help.
lucastec23

Post by lucastec23 »

Understood, thank you for the constructive feedback! Let's try that K&N Base map.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay sounds good. Go ahead and take this one for a drive when you can. The datalogs need to be roughly twenty minutes in length, with as much stop and go type driving as possible. Avoid steady RPM and speeds for long periods of time basically. On the drive, we need one WOT pull in third gear from 2500-8600 so we can see the WOT fueling. For this first one, keep the driving normal and calm, and with only one WOT pull in third gear. That way we can get some data before you have too much fun with it. Once we get some data, I can make the adjustments needed so you can have some fun with it in the followup revisions.
lucastec23.Hybrid.Rev01 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(23.4 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
lucastec23

Post by lucastec23 »

Car feels amazing with that tune! Here's the data log, I forgot about the WOT pull in third gear, I ended up doing a pull from 2nd-3rd, I'll log that tomorrow.
Attachments
datalog0000.fpdl
(3.45 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Glad it feels good, it wasn't too bad for a first calibration. The fuel trims were a little on the rich side, and so was the WOT fueling. I made some changes all over, and remove some timing for the one knock we had. Take this one for a drive tomorrow, shoot for the twenty minute range again and at least one WOT pull in third. Feel free to have some more fun with it if you want, it will be a lot closer in this next one, and should feel even better.
lucastec23.Hybrid.Rev02 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(23.37 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
lucastec23

Post by lucastec23 »

This tune felt awesome as well! I did a few pulls in this datalog.
Attachments
datalog0001.fpdl
(5.65 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it's looking really good. No knock on that one, and the fueling is a lot better. On these drives, we need to throw in at least one WOT pull in third gear from 2500-8600 so we can dial in the WOT fuel. The multi gear pulls are fine for fun, but throw in at least one pull in third gear from 2500-8600. Here is the next one, take it for a spin when you can. It's all plenty safe to have fun with.
lucastec23.Hybrid.Rev03 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(23.42 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
lucastec23

Post by lucastec23 »

Scared my old man with this one. I did notice a few knocks but that could of just been me lugging the engine. I still have to remind myself to keep it in fifth till I'm at a high enough speed.
Attachments
datalog0002.fpdl
(6.14 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Go easy on the old man, they start telling you stories about "back in my day"... Haha.

Yeah that one looked good. We got a lot more data on the WOT pulls being in third gear which is good. Keep making at least one clean third gear WOT pull from 2500-8600 so we can dial in the WOT fuel. Since we had some clean pulls in there, I made some cam angle adjustments and I am going to raise vtec up to 4900. It looks like having it at 4600 is causing a little bit of a bog at that rpm. At 4900 it should be a little more of a progression and keep pulling which is ideal.

The knock you had were on the high cam in vtec, so it wasn't from lugging it around. There are a couple areas that are sensitive on your car, so it's all happening in the same area really. I'm tweaking them as we go to try to remove them.

As far as lugging it around, simple rule I use, if you can hear the intake sound and the car isn't accelerating, it's lugging around. So just keep that in mind as you're driving. These cars don't make a lot of torque, so it needs a lower gear to move.

Take this one for a spin when you can.
lucastec23.Hybrid.Rev04.1 (Blended)(Vtec4900).fpcal
(23.42 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
lucastec23

Post by lucastec23 »

I've started recording the datalogs when the car is cold, is this ok? And since we're tuning it in the winter will we need to make any changes for when the warmer weather comes?
Attachments
datalog1.fpdl
(5.59 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it's fine to do it when it's cold. I don't even want to know cold it is where you are, just looking at your intake temps make me cold. Haha

What I will have you do is contact me when the temperature warms up so we can see how it looks then. There are compensations in the calibration for different intake temps, so we would simply need to make some adjustments to those compensations, if any. It would certainly be very close and safe, but we can check and adjust the compensations for warmer weather when they come. What are you usual temperature ranges where you are? Obviously right now is ridiculously cold, but how hot does it get where you are?

Here is the next one. We are almost there. I only made adjustments to the WOT fueling for this one and idle, part throttle looked great.
lucastec23.Hybrid.Rev05 (Blended)(Vtec4900).fpcal
(23.48 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
lucastec23

Post by lucastec23 »

hahaha in the summer it can usually get up around 30 degrees or more depends on the humidity. But definitely will contact you when I put my summer wheels on. I may also do a couple track days and i'm curious if we can get some gains with a tune for 93 or 94 octane.