datalog - can someone review for me

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
mbrishke

datalog - can someone review for me

Post by mbrishke »

So I just installed the prl flex fuel kit, and am running the 91 oct/flex-fuel map(rev1)
I noticed the fuel trim is pretty excessive, hitting -14 at one point in this third gear pull. but also the wastegate and boost pressure has me scratching my head. tapering down to 15ish and the wastegate is nearly closed at redline. Previous data logs on the 93 tune without flex-fuel had a higher boost with the wastegate open around ~1.0mm.

I'm aware that flex-fuel lowers the air charge limit, what's confusing me is the wastegate being nearly completely closed. should I be looking for a boost leak?
Attachments
29oct.fpdl
(114.94 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: datalog - can someone review for me

Post by Hondata »

The manifold pressure is much lower than the boost command and the wastegate is closed.

This indicates a boost leak or some other mechanical problem. Don't boost on the vehicle like this as the turbo can over-speed.
Hondata
mbrishke

Post by mbrishke »

thank you for the quick reply. I will check for boost leaks, I think the only place one could be is the intercooler(I've checked everywhere else) so I guess I gotta take off the bumper.

two questions, one, if i dont find one what should my next steps be? compression test?

and two, being in colorado springs with an elevation over 6,000 feet. Around what levels should i expect my wastegate to operate under WOT.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

At 6000 feet the wastegate should be around 1 to 1.5mm over 4000 rpm. Below that it will be closed to spool.
Hondata
mbrishke

Post by mbrishke »

Thank you for the information. I wasn't able to find any boost leaks anywhere, I checked everything except the clamp on the turbo outlet because im not sure how I'm going to get to it. Any ideas what else could be causing this?
mbrishke

Post by mbrishke »

I decided to order a boost leak tester kit(one of the coupler caps with a nozzle for an air compressor and a gauge on it). Hoping I find something I missed somehow, but so far I've checked all the charge piping twice.
mbrishke

Post by mbrishke »

ok so replaced all the crappy hose clamps with T-clamps, closed off the charge piping at the throttle body, and pressurized the system incrementally up to 30psi. no leaks were detected. I did notice that when I tried to pressurize the system without closing off the charge piping at the throttle body that air was bleeding through the stock BOV. but I'm guessing that it should since there was probably higher pressure in the charge piping than in the intake manifold, so it was just doing its job.

So after I buttoned everything back up I went and recorded a 1-4 pull.... and the results were... confusing. the higher the gear I'm in the more open the WG runs, and the more closely the BP follows the BPCMD.

I guess back to not building boost until I know if this thing is ok or not.
Attachments
1-4.fpdl
(108.24 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Please post your calibration
Hondata
mbrishke

Post by mbrishke »

It's just the 91flex fuel rev1 calibration.
I appreciate your continued support.
Attachments
flex91.fpcal
(18.95 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Now the fuel trims look wrong. Your ethanol content is high for the stock fuel pump, which may be the cause. Or it just might need tuning at that elevation.
Hondata
mbrishke

Post by mbrishke »

Hondata wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:35 am Now the fuel trims look wrong. Your ethanol content is high for the stock fuel pump, which may be the cause. Or it just might need tuning at that elevation.
Ok, after hours many hours of reading, and lots of time tinkering with my tune on my own, I got lucky and stumbled across a post by another user carlitos1206 titled "altitude and boost consideration". After reviewing his logs and tune I noticed he was within 2 PA of myself, so I'm guessing he's either in colorado as well or just happens to be in the 6000 to 6500ft of elevation range. Well based on his logs, i decided to start adjusting the turbo max PA, what i wound up with was pretty close to what his logs were reflecting, so to me it looks like i was asking more of the turbo than it was capable of with the base maps. What really makes me belive this is how jumpy my AFR was under WOT, i noticed it was only doing this when the wastegate was nearly closed. Even after i adjusted my fuel trims, but once i backed the trubo max PA off a little, my AFR smoothed out under WOT. Anyway, i have very little experience, and honestly no business messing with the ecu of this car, Hondata or spunkster, if one of you could be so kind as to review this and let me know if i did anything stupid. I adjusted my ethanol fuel trim, added i think 2 degrees of timing(ethanol comp table), and removed a lot of boost on the PA table. With my wastegate levels i think i may add 5% back to the PA table and see how it does. Sorry this datalog is so long, i was pulling a long datalog to check my AFM via the x/y graph, but theres i think 3 different WOT pulls in there.
Attachments
flex91fuelfix.fpcal
(19.15 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
datalog11-26-1.fpdl
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 65 times