2010 FN2 w/Hybrid Racing CAI basemap

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

ghoulboii

2010 FN2 w/Hybrid Racing CAI basemap

Post by ghoulboii »

Hey all, I recently bought a hondata and installed a hybrid racing intake on my fn2 type r. The car is my daily driver so would like a basemap or some help in creating a tune that'll be safe to run for both daily and more fun driving until I can find time to get it properly tuned and put on a dyno.

I'm currently running the group N map just so I'm able to get to work and back. I have datalogged a drive with this tune, including a WOT pull in 3rd to give an idea of how it's running now and what needs to be changed which I'll attach.

There are no other mods on the car so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get running alright.
Attachments
datalog0004(Ghoulboii).fpdl
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
EFICU

Re: 2010 FN2 w/Hybrid Racing CAI basemap

Post by EFICU »

ghoulboii wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:00 am Hey all, I recently bought a hondata and installed a hybrid racing intake on my fn2 type r. The car is my daily driver so would like a basemap or some help in creating a tune that'll be safe to run for both daily and more fun driving until I can find time to get it properly tuned and put on a dyno.

I'm currently running the group N map just so I'm able to get to work and back. I have datalogged a drive with this tune, including a WOT pull in 3rd to give an idea of how it's running now and what needs to be changed which I'll attach.

There are no other mods on the car so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get running alright.

Can you post the actual calibration you're driving on? When looking at the Group N calibration, your datalog doesn't seem to be following that calibration in terms of ECU operation and other functions. It definitely needs some work, but we would need to see the calibration you're driving on to determine where to get started.

Let us know.
ghoulboii

Post by ghoulboii »

Thanks for such a swift reply, here's the current calibration which is the one used in that datalog. If memory serves it's just the group n with a few changes basically just me seeing how very minor changes would affect the datalog. Happy to just start with a different base calibration though if this won't be an effective base.
Attachments
Current Calibration (ghoulboii).fpcal
(19.75 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

So it looks like all you really adjusted is the WOT lambda table and the launch RPM. Based on those, my main question is are you wanting it to run in closed loop for WOT fueling? If so, what is your main goal with that? With the way you have it set up, it will never transfer into open loop operation for WOT fueling which is really what you want it to do for various reasons. But you can do it that way if you want, just checking with you.

The other issue I don't understand, you don't have any long term fuel trims happening and there would definitely be some with how the fuel is right now. I thought you may have had them turned off in the tune, but looking at your calibration file they are still on. So as to why there are no long term trims I don't know. I looked at other FN2 datalogs I have and they have them. I would turn them off in a tune anyways, I am just curious as to why yours doesn't have them yet they are turned on in the calibration.

Anyways, let me know what your goal is with changing the WOT lambda tables and we can go from there.
ghoulboii

Post by ghoulboii »

EFICU wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50 am So it looks like all you really adjusted is the WOT lambda table and the launch RPM. Based on those, my main question is are you wanting it to run in closed loop for WOT fueling? If so, what is your main goal with that? With the way you have it set up, it will never transfer into open loop operation for WOT fueling which is really what you want it to do for various reasons. But you can do it that way if you want, just checking with you.

The other issue I don't understand, you don't have any long term fuel trims happening and there would definitely be some with how the fuel is right now. I thought you may have had them turned off in the tune, but looking at your calibration file they are still on. So as to why there are no long term trims I don't know. I looked at other FN2 datalogs I have and they have them. I would turn them off in a tune anyways, I am just curious as to why yours doesn't have them yet they are turned on in the calibration.

Anyways, let me know what your goal is with changing the WOT lambda tables and we can go from there.
To be honest I literally have little to no idea what I'm doing so the adjustments made were just based on the "suggested adjustments" given in the app. They weren't done with any particular goal just to see if it made any difference in the datalog, hence why I'm happy to just start from scratch with assistance from someone more knowledgeable than me.

In terms of a goal, I'm really just wanting to run safely and keep the performance of possible. I'm planning to get a proper tune done early next year but I'm moving and don't have the time or resources right now so just want to have the car run as well as it can in the meantime.

Sorry if this is a waste of time, I'm not very knowledgeable in this and just don't want to kill my car by driving it daily on a bad tune.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay gotcha. Yeah the way the WOT lambda tables were set up it looks like you were trying to tell it your desired AFR during WOT. The only problem with that is then it won't transition to open loop operation where it commands the fuel delivery based on the tables tune for fueling. Which isn't really an issue in a perfect world, but if your primary o2 sensor were to fail and delivery an improper reading to the ECU, the ECU then has bad data to make fueling decisions. When it transitions into open loop, it uses the hard data in the fuel tables to deliver fueling and therefore provides a safer fuel delivery.

You're not wasting my time at all, happy to help. Overall things are running a little bit lean. Let me know through some of the FN2 calibrations I have to see where to get started for you. I'll get back to you later today.
ghoulboii

Post by ghoulboii »

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the help and the explanations!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay, I think I've got a package together for you. Are you planning on adding any performance modifications in the near future, or is this the setup you plan to run for the foreseeable future? I ask because, if you plan to run this setup for a while, we should tune it the long route where we tune each cam angle and then blend it out to get you a custom cam angle map for your car. The long route generally takes about 10-12 revisions to get it dialed and knock free, barring any mechanical issue or false knock issues. We can do it the shorter route where me use a completed basemap from another vehicle and adjust it for your car, usually taking 4-6 revisions. Both are just as safe, just the long route allows us to build a more custom package for your car and what it likes.

Let me know what you think and then we can get started.
ghoulboii

Post by ghoulboii »

I don't see myself adding any other modifications for quite a while so happy to go the longer route if you think it'll be of benefit.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay sounds good. So here is the first one for you. For the datalogs, we need them to be 20-30 minutes in length with as much stop and go type driving as possible. Basically avoid steady speeds for long periods of time. While on the drive, make one WOT pull in third gear. For this first one, keep the driving normal and calm with only the one WOT pull for now, that way we can get some data before you have too much fun with it. This one will be on the 0* cam angle, so it won't be very powerful, it's just a starting point so we can work out way up the cam angle tables to tune them all. Take this one for a spin when you can and we will see how it looks.
Ghoulboii.Sd.Rev01 (0Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(19.76 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
ghoulboii

Post by ghoulboii »

Hopefully this is of use, bit hard to get stop-start around where I live unless it's on my way to work but I tried to simulate it as much as possible using back streets and round-abouts. If this isn't of much use let me know and I'll record another one on my way to work tomorrow.
Attachments
0Cam_Ghoulboii_01.fpdl
(4.77 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

That one works great. Keep aiming for that driving style and we'll be just fine. Some guys jump on the highway and hold one speed for the entire datalog and that doesn't give us much data is all, this one was great.

Overall it wasn't too bad for a start. It was a little on the rich side, which is fine to start. We had a little bit on knock all in one area, so that's good too instead of being all over the table. So I made adjustments for all of that in this next one.

We will now move to the 15* cam angle with vtec still at 4500. Take this one for the same datalog and driving style with the third gear WOT pull and we'll see how it looks.
Ghoulboii.Sd.Rev02 (15Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(20.2 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
ghoulboii

Post by ghoulboii »

Had to let off a bit at the end of the third gear pull but I can do a short datalog with just the pull if needed.
Attachments
15Cam_Ghoulboii_01.fpdl
(5 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

It's looking good. I made some fuel and ignition adjustments again. We will now move to the 30* cam angle, with vtec now at 5500. Take this one for the same datalog and driving style. We will move vtec up and down over the next few revisions to build our fuel data before and after our potential vtec rpm engagement.
Ghoulboii.Sd.Rev03 (30Cam)(Vtec5500).fpcal
(20.63 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
ghoulboii

Post by ghoulboii »

Here you go!
Attachments
30Cam_Ghoulboii_01.fpdl
(4 MiB) Downloaded 52 times