Hybrid Calibration

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
prmz-hpsmx

Hybrid Calibration

Post by prmz-hpsmx »

Anybody is using an Hybrid Calibration (MAF/Speed Density) in your 8th Civic?...

I'm Trying this out but if someone have any tips to do this can be helpfull.

My Mods:
- Custom 3" Intake with Mishimoto filter.
- Kraftwerks supercharger Intake Manifold.
- PLM V2 Header with Invidia Q300 Exhaust Catback.

Thanks for your help bros.
EFICU

Re: Hybrid Calibration

Post by EFICU »

Do you have a specific goal or reason for wanting the hybrid calibration?

You will have a difficult time getting a good reading from the MAF using your custom 3" intake. It's not impossible, but depending on the tune style and how you mounted the MAF, getting a good reading from the MAF sensor might be tough. Are you actually boosted, or just running the KW intake manifold? Your post seems clear on it, but I just want to be sure.
prmz-hpsmx

Post by prmz-hpsmx »

Thanks bro for your answer.

My setup is planed for boost, the goal of this calibration, I used first a speed density calibration I done like two years ago, I tuned on December.

I'm located at sea level, winters here are not as cold as in another cities but when spring/summer started I used to notice that the engine worked different and I used my car to travel to another cities, one time I arrived one city in summer and the temperature was about 42C and car started knocking like if Im using bad fuel, Im not newer in hondata but I do a research that this can be corrected using a AFM tuning.

Im not an expert on this and I had a problem weeks ago with the last update of flashpro manager, the car needed to add 10% of fuel to work fine and the AFR was like crazy, started run lean on idle and suddenly run rich and lean again, I decided to back to stock even unlock hondata from car and the problem was there (with stock cal) I wrote a calibration I got with pcmflash and the car started work fine without this problem, we checked fuel pump and injectors and all is fine, I decided to lock again with hondata and done a basemap with the calibration for skunk2 header and catback and works fine, not as really will work tuned but eliminate the problem, so I was doing a research for this kind of tunes (maf/speed density) to have more control in Idle and Cruise with MAF and in WOT use Speed Density fuel.

With this basemap car in Cruise works fine, but when hit vtec the car start runing lean, wideband goes to the top (20.0)

Hope you understand, thanks again bro.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Gotcha. I was trying to play out the scenario in my head how you came up on a KW intake manifold. Now it makes sense...

I would have to see your calibration to gain perspective on why you got knock all the sudden as you mentioned. It is possible to get some bad fuel, or less than advertised octane. I see it on a regular basis in tuning. We can get a car knock free and then out of nowhere excessive knock appears after a fill up. Now if you were getting it over an extended period of time after that, then something has gone wrong. Again though, until I see the calibration I don't know what you had set up for temperature compensations and other concerns. You also sort of need to know how the car runs in the tables to better tune for variations in elevation, which I try to build in for guys. I've worked with a few people in Canada who must live near the top of the mountains there and had some pretty high elevation.

Yeah I don't see swapping to a hybrid calibration will reduce knock or fix the issues you mention. I always start with ignition to work on knock, granted the AFR is within reason. But ignition reduction in the table should always be the first thing to address for knock. Again without seeing a datalog and the calibration, I can't speculate too much of course. Making global changes of adding 10% fuel isn't really something I do either. I guess when scaling a MAF you can, perhaps that's what you are referring to. I generally use the hybrid calibrations for guys with the stock intake. It seems to provide a nicer part throttle drive but we then have the control of MAP based fueling which makes things easier to work with, for me anyways. With you having a 3" intake, I would essentially treat your car like a Hybrid Racing intake setup and go from there.

From some of the things I've seen on the forums, you want to be sure to take everything with a grain of salt, even what I say. With that said, if you want to try a hybrid calibration I can help you go that route, or I can help you tune it speed density. If you were giving me the reigns, I would take you down the speed density route based on your intake, but if the hybrid calibration is something you want we can try it and see how it acts with your setup.

Let me know what you think.
prmz-hpsmx

Post by prmz-hpsmx »

Hello Bro:

Thanks for your response, the difference I noticed between use AFM and Speed Density, is that in AFM Tune the car feels or rev quicker than in speed density, thats what I noticed. Maybe Im wrong with this.

I used a base map only for move my car for my daily activities, the top rpms that I hit in this driving mode is 3500-4000 rpm, the car feels smooth and more powerfull in this range as before with the other calibration.

I'm attaching my last speed density calibration (PR-FA5-V3-REV3 P&B) always in this calibration got a knock at the range of 2500-3000 rpm in cylinder 2 and 3. I'm attaching the basemap I'm using now (PR-FA5-V4-AFM-Rev1) I'm dealing with a problem that is when hit vtec the fuel status goes to open loop maybe I found the problem that I'm using MAP for determine WOT correct me if Im wrong, I'm attaching datalog of this last calibration.
Attachments
datalog0005.fpdl
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
PR-FA5-V4-AFM-Rev1.fpcal
(21.3 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
PR-FA5-V3-Rev3 P&B.fpcal
(21.9 KiB) Downloaded 58 times