Trouble Updating Firmware Over USB3.0

FlashPro Manager software
sgtstaadanko

Trouble Updating Firmware Over USB3.0

Post by sgtstaadanko »

Just so you guys are aware, I updated to the latest version of flashpro (2.7.3) and upon attempting to update the firmware to version 114, I was unable to complete the firmware update over a USB3.0 port. The notice that the firmware would be updated came up, I clicked ok, and twice in a row nothing happened. Flashpro stopped responding, and the USB light on the unit went out. The power light was flashing though so I was a bit confused. I unplugged and force stopped Flashpro, after trying twice i switched to a USB2.0 port and everything worked perfectly.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Trouble Updating Firmware Over USB3.0

Post by Hondata »

If you get the problem again I suggest that you update the boot firmware.

https://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/u ... rmware.htm
Hondata
typer86

Post by typer86 »

plug-in and out very fast from the USB port until the USB LED keeps up. Repeat the plugin/out cyle until if finished.
Don't forget to report your PC after update the flashpro software on your PC!

Had the same issue with a old firmware 2013 on it :D :D
Hard fight with the USB port until the flash was initiated.

With the new version u will be happy. All works fine with USB3.0
sgtstaadanko

Trouble updating to Firmware 115

Post by sgtstaadanko »

The software update to 2.7.4 went fine no issue. I plugged the unit into a usb 2.0 port to avoid any usb 3.0 woes, because i was unable to preform the boot loader update before this new update, and it started with no issues. About halfway through the update the bar just disappeared, Flashpro is not frozen, I can still open new windows, and the power, datalog and usb lights are all still on on the unit. Any ideas? I've just left it sitting right now.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Unplug it and plug it back in. If it needs to update again it will.
Hondata
sgtstaadanko

Post by sgtstaadanko »

Awesome, thanks a ton, this resolved the issue!
switchleg

Post by switchleg »

Hello,

With update to version 3.7.5 a firmware update was required. With the hondata plugged in and opening flashpro manager it says "The Flashpro firmware will be upgraded.". After I press ok the USB light on the flashpro turns off the power led blinks green and the flashpro manager stops responding. I have tried this on three PC's with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports and no change (all windows 10). Please let me know how one might resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Scott L.
switchleg

Post by switchleg »

I was able to get it to work after trying a 4th usb cable. Odd the other cables work to upload and download log/cal files but would not work for the firmware update.
MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

switchleg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:21 am Hello,

With update to version 3.7.5 a firmware update was required. With the hondata plugged in and opening flashpro manager it says "The Flashpro firmware will be upgraded.". After I press ok the USB light on the flashpro turns off the power led blinks green and the flashpro manager stops responding. I have tried this on three PC's with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports and no change (all windows 10). Please let me know how one might resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Scott L.
Hi,

I have the same problem here! What is the solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

When updating the firmware, make sure the FlashPro is not plugged into the vehicle.
MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

Spunkster wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:15 am When updating the firmware, make sure the FlashPro is not plugged into the vehicle.
When I tried it, it was always disconnected from the car. In fact, it's probably a bug in Hondata's Windows 10 drivers. I've tried it on two different Windows 7 PC and they both worked, while two other Windows 10 PC failed.

I think Hondata should pay more attention to this issue, because more people are being affected.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

If you think it is a bug in the USB driver then report it to Microsoft, as we use Windows UMDF. We've never had any problems with the USB drivers and I do not believe this is the case. The problems we have seen are from some laptops where the USB voltages are out of spec.
Hondata
rozsko

Post by rozsko »

I had exactly the same issue.

Since I had similar problem around USB3 vs USB2 with a Picoscope, I thought to try the solution that worked with that.
So connect the USB(2) cable (with Flashpro connected of course) normally. Then slowly pull the plug out from laptop until it loses connection, then gently push it back a little until, the USB led lights up. Try this with the laptop resting somewhere stable so the usb connector is not bothered while doing the firmware update.
Not sure why this is a problem for firmware update only as it seems not to be a problem after that. Flashpro connects fine with fully plugged in USB2 cable.
MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

Windows UMDF drivers are not error free. Obviously, there is an error for some users, but Hondata just wants to blame Microsoft. If anyone has this error, it's worth trying to update the firmware on a PC running Windows 7 and then return to Windows 10. This was the only solution I found.