07 civic si 3.5 CAI needs help

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
Woogie18

07 civic si 3.5 CAI needs help

Post by Woogie18 »

Very new to flashpro and i needed help to show me the right direction on what alternate basemap i need in my current setup..right now i have 3.5 CAI running under race calibration stock..no plans on adding any mods only CAI..any help or suggestions i can get will greatly appreciated..thank u in advance
EFICU

Re: 07 civic si 3.5 CAI needs help

Post by EFICU »

I can help you with it if you'd like. You don't really want to run race calibrations anymore as they are no longer necessary or recommended. Since you have such a simple mod list, I would recommend just using a completed file for you to start on and make the necessary adjustments for your car over a few revisions. It would probably take 3-5 revisions to get it dialed on your car. Then down the road, if you add a test pipe and/or catback, we can spend more time on it where we tune each cam angle individually and make it all unique to your car. If you want to spend the time to do it the proper way now we can though, the proper route takes about 8-12 revisions to get it all dialed for your car, though I don't know that we would see much more performance over the shorter route since you only have the CAI.

Which CAI do you have?
Woogie18

Post by Woogie18 »

Thank you very much for replying back..honestly when i bought the car, it came with the CAI already no brand name on the intake but the way it looks like most likely its custom made with 3.5 inches in diameter..if you can help me out since i am new to flashpro scene that would be great..i dont mind how many revisions it will take as long as it is done the proper way im go for it..
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay sounds good, is the filter inside the engine bay or back behind the bumper? What octane fuel do you run?
Woogie18

Post by Woogie18 »

Airfilter is outside the engine bay..back behind the bumper..as of now using e85 gas
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Gotcha. I don't do any e85 tuning so I won't be able to help you unfortunately. You're running bigger injectors and everything then too right? You've been driving it untuned with e85?
Woogie18

Post by Woogie18 »

Wait very sorry correction about the gas..what i meant is regular unleaded gas 87 octane...completely stock just the CAI like what i told u from the beginning..
Last edited by Woogie18 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

I see, okay that works then. But you run 91 or 93 octane right?
Woogie18

Post by Woogie18 »

Nope never tried those..only 87 octane..its my daily car
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Do you have any datalogs you’ve made? Have you checked for knock while using 87? From the factory it’s recommended to use a minimum of 91 octane.

Are you opposed to moving up to 91/93 (whichever you have)? In theory you can tune it for 87, but there wouldn’t be much point from a power perspective because as we would be pulling so much timing to remove knock. We would be tuning to get your air fuel ratio right and pull timing to remove knock. If you’re okay with that, then we can do it, but it won’t have much power unfortunately.
Woogie18

Post by Woogie18 »

I had couple datalogs stored in my flashpro as well as in my harddrive but anytime i can make new ones..im not opposed to having 91/93..pardon me but what exactly u meant by knock??honestly speaking just to have a reliable tune that i can use without sacrificing mpg’s im good with it..with or without gain of power im cool with that too..
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Engine knock is essentially pre-ignition of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinders. Too much ignition advance causes the mixture to ignite too soon and causes detonation, or knock. When you run less fuel octane, this becomes more of an issue. Prolonged and excessive knock will damage the engine. Since you run 87 octane, and the engine is tuned for 91+ octane, the ECU is constantly trying to remove timing because it is most likely seeing knock, or thinks it wants to knock based on feedback off the feedback from the knock sensor. With 87 octane, I am sure you have knock, or a very high knock control values which is causing the ECU to retard timing as much as possible to reduce knock. With 91 or 93, whatever you have where you are, the chances of knock are greatly reduced and we can tune it properly. On the inside of your gas door should be a sticker that says premium fuel only as well. So if you're willing to move up to 91 or 93, that would be doing yourself and the great a huge favor and help with reliability by giving the engine some extra room from knock with the higher octane.

The tuning process generally gains MPG because we are tuning the fuel so the ECU isn't working so hard to trim. My old 8th gen got 38mph on the highway at 70mph. So that's no issue, but running 87 becomes the concern with high compression and how these engines are designed.

Let me know what you think, and let me know what you have where you are, 91 or 93? Also, how much fuel is in the tank right now? We would need you to get through the 87 in the tank before we start tuning so that we aren't tuning on 87. Honestly, wherever the tank is at I would go put some of the highest octane gas you have available in the tank right now to raise the octane rating.
Woogie18

Post by Woogie18 »

Ok sounds good to me..i can move up to 91/93 currently im full tank right now just made my pit stop a day ago..so most likely im going to used up what i have in my tank right now and when it is time to fill her up with 91/93 we will go from there..
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay. Don't do any wide open throttle (WOT) stuff until you get some higher octane in there. Keep it calm and normal driving until you get through the tank. Then let me know when you get ready to fill up and we'll go from there. If you want to make a datalog today or tomorrow and post it, I can look it over and maybe we can do a quick calibration with removed ignition timing as needed. That way if there is a lot of knock we can minimize it while you get through the 87 octane.
Woogie18

Post by Woogie18 »

I can tell you right now there’s definitely alot of knock going on..the fact that i have been putting 87 octane..i can make datalogs today for good 20mins i think that would be sufficient enough.