Speed sensor swap

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
Metro6r4

Speed sensor swap

Post by Metro6r4 »

Help I'm building a kit car with the engine from a 2003 ep3 type r K20a , using the engine loom and ecu ( with kpro ) from the same car . The problem I've got is I'm using a gearbox from quaife ( QKE8J ) with lsd ,unfortunately when the gearbox was built the gear drive for the speed sensor wasn't fitted .having read some posts I can turn of the speed sensor in the kpro but it's not recommended and I believe I loose some functionality , so can I use the speed sensor from the later gearbox on the fn2 (part no 28820- pwr013 . The quaife gearbox allows fitment of both types of sensors ,but not sure if the wiring on the engine loom is compatible or how the ecu reads the sensors as one is a low frequency type and the other high frequency . It doesn't matter about the output to the gauge cluster as I'm using a stand alone cluster .
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Speed sensor swap

Post by Spunkster »

You can use it for the ECU, but it will not operate the speedo on the dash correctly.
Metro6r4

Post by Metro6r4 »

So if I use the later high frequency type speed sensor all I have to do is change the loom plug and wiring to the later type ?
Which setting do I use in the hondata - the countershaft driven speed sensor or the alternative speed input ?
Loosing The speedo or dash functions is not a problem as I'm using stand alone units for that I just need to make sure I don't loose and engine functionality i.e. Loss of vtec
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You will need to make whatever changes necessary to get the signal to the ECU.
You would have to use the countershaft driven setting.