OBD2 dizzy plug missing tach wire on engine harness side

Hondata CPR (Coil Pack Retrofit) support
rofeksos

OBD2 dizzy plug missing tach wire on engine harness side

Post by rofeksos »

While troubleshooting the CPR kit via steps from the manual, I inspected the dizzy plug on the engine harness side and noticed it is missing the tach wire that would normally go on the bottom side of the plug.

My dizzy is an OBD2B and the engine harness was from an OBD2 ITR apparently. Is this needed to get the car to fire up ?
Attachments
20190904_192954.jpg
20190904_192954.jpg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 11999 times
20190904_192940.jpg
20190904_192940.jpg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 11999 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: OBD2 dizzy plug missing tach wire on engine harness side

Post by Spunkster »

You will have to run that wire to the cabin and connect to the tach wire at the ECU harness.
rofeksos

Post by rofeksos »

Spunkster wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:06 am You will have to run that wire to the cabin and connect to the tach wire at the ECU harness.
Alright this should be straight forward. Is this missing wire what's preventing the CPR kit from starting the car up? The module has power, the ignition lights are blinking and the sync lights are blinking once for every few ignition light blink. I didn't get a chance to check spark from the coils yet (I was about to then found the missing tach wire) but they are brand new from Burton Racing.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It can run without this wire, you just wont have a functional tachometer.
rofeksos

Post by rofeksos »

Spunkster wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:45 pm It can run without this wire, you just wont have a functional tachometer.
Another thing I'd like to rule out.... Since I was having trouble getting the Hondata CPR module inside the cabin... it is currently sitting in the engine bay. I have the 4 wires that are suppose to be in the cabin extended from the module (in the engine bay) through the firewall into the passenger foot well where it is connected to the ecu per instructions. However, since the module is in the engine bay... the ground wires had to be extended BUT it is getting its ground source from the ecu (the instructions stated that the ground wire AND cpr module should be as close to the ecu as possible).

Would this contribute to my no start issue? If so, I'll have to relocate the module into the cabin and re-work the wires.

PS - Interestingly enough my tachometer works even though I'm running a P28 Hondata S300 v3 equipped ecu.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Yes this could be an issue as you could be picking up interference from unshielded wiring.
rofeksos

Post by rofeksos »

Spunkster wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:03 pm Yes this could be an issue as you could be picking up interference from unshielded wiring.
This did the trick! Now I see what you're talking about : tach not working. To reiterate my car is OBD2 and I don't have the blue wire on the engine harness side. Question is which ecu pin I'm going wire the green wire to?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It should be A19.
rofeksos

Post by rofeksos »

Spunkster wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:42 am It should be A19.
Wanted to clarify if its A19 on the obd2b plug side or A19 on the obd1 plug side of the ECU jumper harness? Thanks in advance!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

A19 OBD2B
rofeksos

Post by rofeksos »

Spunkster wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:46 pmA19 OBD2B
Great! I appreciate the responses! So a few more questions:

1) will wires somewhere in the 20 - 16 gauge range be okay?
2) instead of splicing into the the original input side of the obd2b harness, can I splice into the A19 output wire (of the jumper harness) that goes into the obd1 input side? Hope that made sense.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

YEs and yes.
rofeksos

SOLVED! OBD2 dizzy plug missing tach wire on engine harness side

Post by rofeksos »

SOLVED!

Instead of splicing into my ecu jumper harness I found another route where I connected the green wire of the Hondata harness to the single blue wire on the driver side shock tower. Tach works fine now!