Long time FlashPro user and self-tuner. Curious about recommendations on TC + OEM Knock Control strategies.
Just finished up a CD009 swap and am finally able to test the limits of Hondata Traction control. I have 3 comments and 3 related questions:
- 70% HPDE-Road Course Car / 30% Street Car / 0% Drag Strip Car
- 640whp/480wtq e85/ford 8.8/CD009
- 1.) I am noticing high amounts of knock counts when enabling TC (15-20 with TC on, 0-3 off). Given how TC works via TC.R (Traction Control ignition retard), I assume this is normal behavior.
- 2.) I currently have misfire detection enabled. I have played with this on and off, and usually kept it off for HPDE/Time Attack but enabled it during recent street driving & testing. I am getting CEL for random misfires. (likely due to k.retard)
- 3.) Timing - I noticed medium/high amounts of timing retard and high "Knock Control" values when enabling Traction Control.
Questions related to above comments: (yes by now you know the questions)
- 1.) Is there a better knock control strategy (or lack thereof) to be used if reliant upon Traction Control. In other words, shall I severely limit/disable the OEM knock strategy when using Traction Control? I run e85 and see <3 k.count when TC is disabled and just saw 16 on a 20m street drive with TC enabled. I also saw a K.retard value of 6 degrees tonight after traction control enabled, which is new / (caveat of TC?)
- 2.) Can I safely disable misfire detection when using Traction Control?
- 3.) I would love to limit the OEM knock control strategy when using TC, but still enjoy using the OEM knock detection failsafes: I.E. (K.Count[1-4], K.Level, K.Control). Is there a happy medium? Is the best solution to reduce the Knock Retard High table and leave the Knock Sensitivity High table alone? Any other recommendations are welcomed. I am open to testing and sharing data to better the TC help file too.
- Datalog #1 attached - Street drive before enabling and testing Traction Control [K.Count 0, Ignition 11-18 - perfect pull]
- (no logs - tested TC for 30-45 minutes)
- Datalog #2 attached - Street drive after testing Traction Control for 30+ minutes [K.Count 16, Ignition 7-12 - breakup/CEL/High K.Retard/K.Control]
Calibration also attached, for reference.
Mike (JR) Riley