Cooling fan not coming on?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Stevieh6

Cooling fan not coming on?

Post by Stevieh6 »

Hi, my cooling fan doesn’t seem to be coming on when it should, it just keep heating up until the overheating error appears.
So far I’ve replaced the fan switch and tested the relay which is fine. If I Bridge the fan switch connector the fan comes straight on.
When it reaches temperature I notice the fan switch engage making the revs dip a little but no fan..
I’m stumped. Could it be ECU related?

Thanks
Steve
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Cooling fan not coming on?

Post by Spunkster »

The fan should operate independently of the ECU. There should be a thermo switch which activates a relay to turn on the fan.
Stevieh6

Post by Stevieh6 »

For whatever reason it’s not working. I thought maybe it sent the signal to the ecu then the ecu turns the fan on?

I’ve overridden the switch now and set it to engage at 195*f and that seems to be working
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The ECU should n ot be relied on for the fan control. You need the thermos switch working incase something happens.
Stevieh6

Post by Stevieh6 »

The switch does work. It’s brand new and you hear it kick in. But whatever is between that and the fan coming on isn’t working. I can’t find anything about a control unit, it seems that it’s the ecu which is stopping it working
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You need to look at a factory service manual and look to see how it is wired and check any relays involved.
Stevieh6

Post by Stevieh6 »

Why shouldn’t I rely on the ecu anyway? Any reason why it would just stop working?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It is meant as a backup and you no longer have a backup. It should rely on the thermo switch and the ECU as the backup if that fails.