KproV4 PRB Voltage Requirements

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
Dublocivic

Re: KproV4 PRB Voltage Requirements

Post by Dublocivic »

Ok it seems that I am zeroing in on the issue for others out there that may run into a problem. I just installed another larger 520CA battery and it didnt help the issue. I read somewhere else, and cannot find the link, that there may be a link between these symptoms that I am experiencing and the E85 sensor. I used the GM sensor and fittings etc recommended here, it is authentic, not a knock off sensor. I decided to pull the plug on the sensor and try to start the car without the laptop plugged in. It worked! I can start the car no problem, no CEL, no issue without the E85 sensor plugged in... there is some issue with this sensor and causing the Kpro to not be happy at startup. Anyone have any suggestions barring putting a switch on the E85 signal wire until after the car has been started? I will double check the e85 sensor ground and make sure no pins have been pulled etc.

I have a hunch the CEL is the daughter board error-kicking me into limp_mode, but I cant grab it when it is active due to Kpro not recognizing the usb.

Any input on what solutions people have found would be great, I would love to get this car track reliable!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You never mentioned you were using an ethanol content sensor.
Dublocivic

Post by Dublocivic »

Spunkster wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:20 pm You never mentioned you were using an ethanol content sensor.
Dublocivic wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:55 am I have been having an on going issue with my KproV4 that seems to be voltage related.

Setup:
KproV4 PRB ECU
K24 (260 whp E85)
Ktuned conversion harness
Ktuned Engine Harness
XS power D680 Battery (12V AGM Battery, Max Amps 1,000A, CA: 320, Ah: 20, up to 1000W)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can be tuned on E85 without a Flex fuel sensor.

How to you have the flex fuel sensor wired?
Dublocivic

Post by Dublocivic »

Spunkster wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:55 pm You can be tuned on E85 without a Flex fuel sensor.

How to you have the flex fuel sensor wired?
I have the white wire on the supplementary pigtail (eth) wired to the sensor's output wire, ground is run to the frame rail (paint is sanded away metal/metal 3 inches from the sensor) and the 12v for the sensor is run to the aux 12v switched blade in the fuse box.
Dublocivic

Post by Dublocivic »

Any suggestions? Could the built in kpro processing for the ethanol conversion process be going awry? Would you recommend the sensor to be wired a different way? What are the expected values on the signal wire from the sensor to the eth input (white wire)? I can test these things if I know what to look for.

Thanks
Dublocivic

Post by Dublocivic »

I moved my 12v source to the ecu 12v (tried A1) and that did not work for me. Any ideas on what the issue is? Its an obvious issue multiple people have had. Hondata/Spunkster, any ideas, suggestions? I would hate for the only solution to be a switch on the signal wire, that is kind of hokie and annoying (sorry Va Tech fans). I would appreciate some feed back.
Dublocivic

Post by Dublocivic »

Dublocivic wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:20 pm I moved my 12v source to the ecu 12v (tried A1) and that did not work for me. Any ideas on what the issue is? Its an obvious issue multiple people have had. Hondata/Spunkster, any ideas, suggestions? I would hate for the only solution to be a switch on the signal wire, that is kind of hokie and annoying (sorry Va Tech fans). I would appreciate some feed back.
Implemented a rocker switch on the signal wire as a band-aid and it solves my issue. Doesnt look like the issue is with my with my grounds, wiring, or anything on my part. The problem exists in either the sensor itself or with the Kpro flexfuel sensor interpretation/code/on-start order. I know the Kpro is likely on the back burner for patches (as the newer stuff is likely taking up development time), however, would this be something that you all would entertain a patch for?
KCAMILLE

Post by KCAMILLE »

Hey brotha seems to be a issue in general because I'm going thru the same problem with my kpro right off the dyno. I ended up doin the same with the switch as a temporary fix til a remedy come about
Dublocivic

Post by Dublocivic »

KCAMILLE wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:54 am Hey brotha seems to be a issue in general because I'm going thru the same problem with my kpro right off the dyno. I ended up doin the same with the switch as a temporary fix til a remedy come about
Hey KC, hopefully Hondata will do some investigation into what would be causing the issue. The switch works but shouldn't be needed, seems like the issue has been going on for a while. Hopefully, this post helps others at least get their cars running on E85 reliably with Kpro/GM e85 sensor combination. Until further info from the Mods, I guess we just wait. :-/
KCAMILLE

Post by KCAMILLE »

Lets hope so. I thought maybe my ecu was fried after the dyno session since that's when the problem came about. Then i started looking around the forums to see if anyone has had the same symptoms and behold there we have quite a few with the same exact complaint.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Are you using an external pull up resistor?
Hondata
Dublocivic

Post by Dublocivic »

Hondata wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:22 pm Are you using an external pull up resistor?
On the signal wire? I am not. Just the sensor wired up per the instructions in the flex fuel guide. Nothing out of the ordinary. Are you thinking the native 2.4k resistor is not buying enough time?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

No, I was wondering if you were pulling the signal up to 12V. There is a voltage clamp on the KPro to prevent damage but you never know.

In any case, we have made a modification to the KPro firmware which should fix the problem.

Here is the software link:

Once installed you should run KManager, plug in the KPro, allow KManager to update the firmware.

Then under Online select Update Boot Firmware. It takes a few seconds, and after that it should be good. You don't need to upload the calibration again but can if you want.

Let me know.
Hondata
Dublocivic

Post by Dublocivic »

Hondata wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:17 pm No, I was wondering if you were pulling the signal up to 12V. There is a voltage clamp on the KPro to prevent damage but you never know.

In any case, we have made a modification to the KPro firmware which should fix the problem.

Here is the software link:

Once installed you should run KManager, plug in the KPro, allow KManager to update the firmware.

Then under Online select Update Boot Firmware. It takes a few seconds, and after that it should be good. You don't need to upload the calibration again but can if you want.

Let me know.

Oh ok, I see what you are saying.

Awesome! I appreciate the firmware mod and the update! I will update it this evening and provide feedback.

Thanks!