User Settings / Voltage Question

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
linkdeezie

User Settings / Voltage Question

Post by linkdeezie »

I have two issues:

1) Is it normal for the Smanager software to NOT allow you to define a specific parameter in the program? I ask because I'm trying to set up my injector deadtimes and when i enter a whole number for the volts, the program changes it. Example: I enter "10" and the program changes it to "10.01"... the 2nd column over, i enter "11" and the smanager software changes the number way down to "10.21"

2) and this question is closely related to the first: For datalogging, I'm trying to set my voltage offset to "-0.32" and the program, once again, changes the number to "-0.31". At this particular offset, the AF is off by from my wideband by maybe about 0.4, with the wideband reading lower ...and when i set the offset to "-0.33" it's off by the same, but the wideband is now reading higher. So naturally, i'm trying to set the voltage offset to -0.32 in an attempt to get that margin closer to 0, and the software wont allow a value of -0.32 to be entered, always changing it back down to -0.31. Why is this? Is the number 32 banned or something? Does it have anything to do with Shaq when he left LA to play for the Heat? LOL. I'm stumped over here...
crluver123

Re: User Settings / Voltage Question

Post by crluver123 »

1) honda based systems need to operate according to honda coding. Hexadecimal programming in honda code can only interpret certain values. Some values can't be used because there is no translation of that value in the honda coding. You just have to work around it. Besides, 0.01 difference for a 10.0 value is only a 0.1% variance; it won't make any difference.

2) I've never had any "off-limits" values in the afr offset before. That is odd. What concerns me though is 0.01v difference in offset is causing a 0.4 difference in afr reading. That is HUGE! And next to impossible. Makes me think you have several problems going on: bad wideband ground, terrible programming for voltage range on the afr output wire, bad ecu ground, and/or incorrect volt/afr settings in smanager. Especially considering you're needing to use more than 0.3v offset. I've never needed to use higher than 0.05v offset with proper wiring. Most sensors use 0v-5v 10afr-20afr, which translates to 0.01v = 0.02 change in afr reading.
linkdeezie

Post by linkdeezie »

I've never had any "off-limits" values in the afr offset before. That is odd. What concerns me though is 0.01v difference in offset is causing a 0.4 difference in afr reading. That is HUGE! And next to impossible. Makes me think you have several problems going on: bad wideband ground, terrible programming for voltage range on the afr output wire, bad ecu ground, and/or incorrect volt/afr settings in smanager. Especially considering you're needing to use more than 0.3v offset. I've never needed to use higher than 0.05v offset with proper wiring. Most sensors use 0v-5v 10afr-20afr, which translates to 0.01v = 0.02 change in afr reading.

Next to impossible, but still happening.
the wideband is grounded at the jumper harness to the ecu.
voltage range for the AFR output wire, i'm guessing, was done by PLX because all i did was connect the hardware
ECU is grounded where it should be...thermostat housing via stock wiring harness by way of jumper harness.
Volt/AFR settings in Smanager obtained from the software itself (preselect...using PLX wideband setting)
I actually wish that I didn't have to use ANY offset, but it is what it is...Every vehicle is different and 0.3X is the closest that's working for me. Might be considered "high" by some standards, but not unheard of. I've gone through 8 pages of old posts, taking me back to like the year 2003 and i have seen some others using the same 0.3X offset I've had to use. Even Spunkster recently had a post where he said his offset was 0.08, which is still higher than your "0.05v offset with proper wiring".... just one of those things, I guess
crluver123

Post by crluver123 »

linkdeezie wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:54 pm Next to impossible, but still happening.
the wideband is grounded at the jumper harness to the ecu.
voltage range for the AFR output wire, i'm guessing, was done by PLX because all i did was connect the hardware
ECU is grounded where it should be...thermostat housing via stock wiring harness by way of jumper harness.
Volt/AFR settings in Smanager obtained from the software itself (preselect...using PLX wideband setting)
I actually wish that I didn't have to use ANY offset, but it is what it is...Every vehicle is different and 0.3X is the closest that's working for me. Might be considered "high" by some standards, but not unheard of. I've gone through 8 pages of old posts, taking me back to like the year 2003 and i have seen some others using the same 0.3X offset I've had to use. Even Spunkster recently had a post where he said his offset was 0.08, which is still higher than your "0.05v offset with proper wiring".... just one of those things, I guess
I think you're using the wrong parameters in smanager then. There is not any pre-select choices for wideband voltage settings in Smanager. You have to manually enter the voltage and afr/lamba values. default is 0v-5v-5v and 10.0-20.0-20.0afr, which iirc is not what PLX uses. Crome has a pre-select list, and it's wrong, that I do definitely know.
what pin do you have the o2 signal going to? d14?
How are you comparing the readings? Do you have a plx gauge hooked up as well? where is the gauge itself grounded? Or is it powered by the PLX box that is also feeding the ecu signal?
linkdeezie

Post by linkdeezie »

I think you're using the wrong parameters in smanager then. There is not any pre-select choices for wideband voltage settings in Smanager. You have to manually enter the voltage and afr/lamba values. default is 0v-5v-5v and 10.0-20.0-20.0afr, which iirc is not what PLX uses. Crome has a pre-select list, and it's wrong, that I do definitely know.
what pin do you have the o2 signal going to? d14?
How are you comparing the readings? Do you have a plx gauge hooked up as well? where is the gauge itself grounded? Or is it powered by the PLX box that is also feeding the ecu signal?

ok i see what you're saying. In smanager, I DID enter some numbers/parameters. In the "voltage/lambda conversion table, i have: 0.00/10.00, 2.33/14.65, and 5.00/20.00. which also is interesting because I just realize, when I let off the throttle and the car goes lean, it (the reading in smanager) doesn't go all the way to 20.00, it stops at like 19.37 or something like that. Shouldn't smanager see/display 20.00 upon receiving the full 5v signal from the PLX? the o2 wideband signal is at the ELD, which is D10. I have a PLX gauge. It connects to the sensor module, and the module is whats grounded and receives power for the gauge itself. It displays a digital reading and I'm comparing it to what I see in the smanager as well as hondata mobile. The mobile app and the smanager display the same readings for the air/fuel, so what i did was mount my cellphone on my dash right next to the plx gauge, and so I have both readings side-by-side for comparison instead of having to constantly down at the laptop, then back up and the gauge :-)
crluver123

Post by crluver123 »

Ah that may be part of the problem then. Did you modify the ecu to be able to use D10? You need to find the resistors on the ecu board labelled R136 R137 R138, and cut or remove R136 and R138, which are the outer resistors. R137 is the one in the middle and needs to stay attached.
They are located on the top side (deep side), right against the ecu plugs, lower left corner
linkdeezie

Post by linkdeezie »

crluver123 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 pm Ah that may be part of the problem then. Did you modify the ecu to be able to use D10? You need to find the resistors on the ecu board labelled R136 R137 R138, and cut or remove R136 and R138, which are the outer resistors. R137 is the one in the middle and needs to stay attached.
They are located on the top side (deep side), right against the ecu plugs, lower left corner
yeah 136 and 138 have long been removed...if it wasn't for bad luck, i wouldn't have any luck at all LOL
crluver123

Post by crluver123 »

I'm out of ideas then, sorry
linkdeezie

Post by linkdeezie »

hmmm. no input, answers or suggestions from any of the folks that make this stuff?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Where do you have the power and ground connected for the wideband?