Oil Dilution Updates

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
Hondata
Site Admin

Oil Dilution Updates

Post by Hondata »

Honda is currently updating any 2016-2017 vehicle they can with new binaries with the oil dilution fix.

FlashProManager does not support / recognize all these binaries as they are new.

We are working on adding in support and will release FlashProManager as soon as we can.
Hondata
ElpacoSV

Re: 2018 Honda Updates

Post by ElpacoSV »

Hi, Any news? :)
Italiandogs

Post by Italiandogs »

Not sure, just had my car updated and can't use my FlashPro. Hopefully an update will be released soon.
GiggleFactory227

Post by GiggleFactory227 »

No update yet. *waits patiently*
Italiandogs

Post by Italiandogs »

GiggleFactory227 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:55 am No update yet. *waits patiently*
*Waits impatiently*. But no, I got excited for the 3.2.1 update but alas, I don' think it reads the new binaries yet. Hondata plz. :'(
GiggleFactory227

Italiandogs wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:33 am
GiggleFactory227 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:55 am No update yet. *waits patiently*
*Waits impatiently*. But no, I got excited for the 3.2.1 update but alas, I don' think it reads the new binaries yet. Hondata plz. :'(
Change History

V3.2.1 (22 Jan 2019)
· FlashPro firmware updated to version 152
· Changed Display window sensor selection
· [2019 RDX] Added support for US 2019 RDX .....

no joy
jds

Re: Oil Dilution Updates

Post by jds »

First post to this forum, bear with me pls; if this would be more appropriate as a separate thread just let me know (or maybe theres another better existing thread? but I'm not seeing it...). My question is about emerging vibration while idling, and as you'll see, there's a reason I'm starting here.

OK:
I have a 2018 si, 14K miles. Have used the flashpro +6psi basemap with FTS off, otherwise no changes. Drive fast at times, sometimes sustain high revs for a bit, but don't do things like dumping the clutch. Generally let my car get warm before hitting the boost. Accidentally hit the rev limiter revving too high in 1st once because I apparently wasn't paying attention like an idiot?- prob around 6K miles and went to limp until i restarted the car (stupid, I know, but hopefully not too big a deal). Otherwise never aware of having done anything wrong. Got my first oil change on sched, next one coming up this week (oil from the dealer). Using appropriate octane (91+, pretty sure from reputable stations).

Car still drives beautifully. No weird noises or anything as far as I can tell. But maybe around 8K miles i started to notice a bit of vibration at idle (can't quite remember exactly when I noticed; let's say somewhere between 7-10K miles). First detected because my phone cable was shaking and i thought 'I don't recall seeing that before.' I live in the northeastern US, mostly been fairly cold recently- not sure if that's a factor but the idle vibration has become more pronounced recently. Seems to have gotten particularly noticeable since I went away for a week and my car sat in the cold unused (but, uh, not sure if that's causative or just correlative). Also, I'm pretty sure that the vibration is more pronounced once the car is warm. Again, once I'm giving it gas it's smooth sailing, I detect no change, I hear nothing abnormal. But I'm concerned, naturally, about this pronounced vibration at idle.

So yeah, I'm asking if what I'm experiencing is possibly the oil dilution problem. I've done plenty of looking around to try to answer for myself but so far I haven't been able to conclude anything. Any help/insight hugely appreciated. (PS: stock vs +6 doesn't seem to make any difference.)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What you are describing would probably not have anything to do with this update. If you return to stock does it have the same vibration?
jds

Post by jds »

yeah, it's still there. maybe it's a little bit less pronounced with the stock tune than with +6 but I think I'm probably imagining that. before I go on let me reiterate: not trying to hijack this thread since I'm clearly way off topic now. pls let me know if I should move this discussion elsewhere.

also possibly significant:

-idle vibration def seems to become more pronounced if I come to a stop and idle after having driven on the more aggressive side, like if I've been on the highway and engaged in some high-rev accelerations, it seems like it's more noticeable after that. also possibly noteworthy: if i look under the hood I can see the motor itself noticeably vibrating at the same frequency. i've not given this much thought to my vehicles in the past so I'm not sure how much engine movement I'm supposed to see at idle and if I should be worried about this. I'm almost due for an oil change so I was going to bring the car in in the next two days and get a tech's impression. I haven't done any datalogging yet; I intend to, but I don't want to reflash to +6 before I have someone more knowledgeable than me observe what I'm describing in case I'm working my way towards major problems (although I guess I can datalog on the stock tune?)

I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or if I should be more worried than I am. As I mentioned, nothing else about the vehicle has been modified; the fact that I flashed the ECU and now this is happening is heightening my concern that I messed something up. That said, my impression from reading around is that the +6psi basemap is really quite conservative and shouldn't render my powertrain much more vulnerable to insult than it would be at stock tune. Maybe I'm being naive?

-also, let's see if I can describe this: when I'm accelerating (especially in 2nd-4th gear at like 2500-4000 rpm) there is this sound that is like a higher-pitched musical whistling with a sort of metallic resonance to it; it's background to the engine revs and it's not getting louder over time or anything but it's distinctive and I noticed it after several thousand miles, not sure if it was there from the start or not. am I supposed to hear this sound? is it possibly coming from the turbo?

thanks a ton for any help/insight...
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If it is doing this stock then you should have the Honda dealer take a look at it.
zac.zavakos

Post by zac.zavakos »

For everyone's information,

They just extended the recall to include all 2018s as well. So my car shall not be seeing the dealer for a while. Even though it has experienced the exact issue they're trying to fix.... Change your oil, guys, especially if you're seeing some chilly temps this winter.

I got the P0300 through P0304 for the "misfires", and it went into limp mode. Only fix was reflashing ECU with the same +9psi tune that was already on it, runs fine now.

Changing my oil myself Monday, see how much gas is in it :)
2021 Civic Sport Hatch MT (US)
2021 HR-V....why (US)
Italiandogs

Post by Italiandogs »

zac.zavakos wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 am For everyone's information,

They just extended the recall to include all 2018s as well. So my car shall not be seeing the dealer for a while. Even though it has experienced the exact issue they're trying to fix.... Change your oil, guys, especially if you're seeing some chilly temps this winter.

I got the P0300 through P0304 for the "misfires", and it went into limp mode. Only fix was reflashing ECU with the same +9psi tune that was already on it, runs fine now.

Changing my oil myself Monday, see how much gas is in it :)
Let us know how it goes and how bad it is.
zac.zavakos

Post by zac.zavakos »

Well, either Hondas have started to produce their own oil, or there's an awful lot of gas in that oil pan after 7k miles....

Can definitely tell you the dipstick smelled like gas, and the oil was thin, but hot 0W-20 isn't exactly molasses so I can't speak for any major loss of viscosity.

Runs smoother though. I guess I didn't notice how rough the isle was until it was smooth again.
Attachments
IMG9500851.jpg
IMG9500851.jpg (403.94 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
2021 Civic Sport Hatch MT (US)
2021 HR-V....why (US)
GiggleFactory227

Another month and my flashpro remains an expensive paperweight.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

We have released the 2016 Civic oil dilution updates.
Hondata