Issues Calibrating Wastegate 2.0T Accord

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2008+ Accord, Americas and international
CirnoTV

Issues Calibrating Wastegate 2.0T Accord

Post by CirnoTV »

Hello there! I inquired about P003A on youtube. I've been going absolutely insane the last 2 weeks trying to figure it out. A bit of background, I have a 2019 2.0 Accord. I did the Type-R Turbo Swap and am using the correct hondata tune. The initial install went really smooth and I had no issues or CEL's during the first 3 months of driving around. One day out of the blue I got P003A. I cleared the code and went back to driving and it would only come back once every few weeks. Now it constantly happens even after idling for a few minutes. I've tried changing wastegate's (brand new type-r and accord ones), i've tried changing actuator arms (always type-r actuator arms) to no avail. I've contacted PRL and they told me with the wastegate closed I should see a voltage of around 1.26 to 1.43 on the actuator position sensor to be within spec.

I've always calibrated within that spec to no avail. I also noticed before the ECU throws the code the WG position in Hondata jumps around instead of sitting on 0.00 like its supposed to, even at idle it'll jump anywhere from 0.05 to 0.52 very sporadically 'till it throws P003A. I found a website stating that the WG and WGCMD should be within 0.00-0.02mm of eachother. Upon inspection I noticed that the WGCMD is at around -3.75 even after properly calibrating the voltage. I swapped out to a few of my other wastegate's and they all appear to be around the -3.75 mark. There was however one of my wastegate's that allowed me to get the WGCMD to 0 but upon adjusting to try to get the WG within 0.02mm the motor in that wastegate started making differently pitched noises and jumping around, so I assume that one is bad.

I have also ran through honda's trouble shooting guide to confirm that the connector and the wire harness up to the wastegate are 100% fine. I have also looked at the pins on all the wastegate's and they all appear to be perfectly fine. I'm not too sure where to go from here. My usual calibration routine is: with wastegate out of the car, I gently push the wastegate closed with my hand, screw the arm on a little and then slip it over the flapper, tighten the wastegate down to the turbo and then probe the back of the connector with a voltmeter, plug the connector in and then key on engine off and adjust 'till within 1.26 to 1.43 volts. I'm either missing a step which is causing the WGCMD to not be 0 or I have 5 bad wastegates.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I've been trying to figure this out for a good couple weeks now and I feel like i've made 0 progress.
CirnoTV

Re: Issues Calibrating Wastegate 2.0T Accord

Post by CirnoTV »

I just wanted to follow up and say I finally figured it out. It's pretty ridiculous. So I've never been able to tighten the locking nut on the other side of the adjusting nut because I don't have a thin 10mm wrench. I also have the stiffer hassport motor mount, which at idle and reverse, caused the car to shake which was vibrating the nut and the actuator arm causing the wastegate to get different voltage readings and freak out, eventually throwing the code. It explains why I could drive for long periods of time without issue but as soon as I stop at a red light, go into reverse, or hit rough road with bumps it'd throw the code. Absolutely insane haha