93oct 1st 2nd Reduced Torque Option

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
hifi

93oct 1st 2nd Reduced Torque Option

Post by hifi »

Hey Folks, I have my FK8 US FPro on the way. Just looking into the 93 Octane cal.
93OCT_ITR_1st_2nd.jpg
93OCT_ITR_1st_2nd.jpg (174.82 KiB) Viewed 942 times
States that "all modes reduced torque in 1st and 2nd". It would appear that is only true for first gear? I've just compared the stock vs 93 octane with improved throttle response options (selecting the full power option seems to do what it says).
So only 1st is below the baseline (stock) values? (all modes) 2nd that clearly isn't the case (and in 2nd sport/+R its actually well above stock, comfort mimics stock). Can this be looked into/corrected or am I missing something else that may be limiting 2nd gear torque?

One last question (yes this is a twofer'): Why limit torque in the default cal lower than stock for 1st anyway? Yes, I know this thing will roast tires all day in 1st, is that the reason? I ask only because you have the traction control option...so why not just use full power and control with that more intuitive/effective measure/option?

Thanks!

hifi

93OCT_ITR_1st_2nd vs StockTR.jpg
93OCT_ITR_1st_2nd vs StockTR.jpg (386.38 KiB) Viewed 942 times
93OCT_ITR_2nd vs StockTR.jpg
93OCT_ITR_2nd vs StockTR.jpg (381.32 KiB) Viewed 942 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: 93oct 1st 2nd Reduced Torque Option

Post by Hondata »

Stock torque tables have more torque in first gear than any tire can handle.

You want to torque tables to be close to what the tires are capable of and then use traction control to tweak the output. Otherwise the TC can only limit the torque so much with spark and then the factory VSA will kick in, which tends to be abrupt and overkill.
Hondata
hifi

Post by hifi »

Hondata wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:04 pm Stock torque tables have more torque in first gear than any tire can handle.

You want to torque tables to be close to what the tires are capable of and then use traction control to tweak the output. Otherwise the TC can only limit the torque so much with spark and then the factory VSA will kick in, which tends to be abrupt and overkill.
Thank you. That addresses question #2. But the real question remains, why in the hondata calibration (in the example given above 93 oct cal) is 1st gear torque table reduced, but not 2nd gear? Is this something that was changed over time due to customer feedback or did the 2nd gear torque table get "lost in translation" somewhere? As it stands from what I can see by the side-by-side comparison, this should be labeled "all modes reduced torque in 1st gear only". Again, unless I'm missing something else in the cal that is reducing 2nd gear TT's?

hifi
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

In the image that you posted torque is reduced in 2nd gear.
Hondata
hifi

Post by hifi »

Hondata wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:25 pm In the image that you posted torque is reduced in 2nd gear.
Okay, technically, that is correct...for a given TPS/RPM range. But at 100% TPS (again by RPM I see it now)? Its increased over stock, the exception being in "comfort" mode. That is what "threw" me there. (Actually > stock torque for a given TPS/RPM in some cases, including at WOT/100% TPS)

I'll give this map a whirl then. I can now see the tapering probably giving a bit more control. I guess my concern is (speaking of self control) I doubt any type R owner doing a 2nd gear "pull" is using anything but a "both feet flat on the floor" approach. So that "technically" puts a bit less power to the wheels at those critical areas when one is most likely to experience traction loss. (Will be interesting to see if that >400 torque request over 6000 RPM actually does anything based upon the stock torque curves though, I suppose that is why you deemed it inconsequential)

Your time clarifying this for me is greatly appreciated.

hifi