Tuning Ignition Maps on the FK8

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
leechihfei

Tuning Ignition Maps on the FK8

Post by leechihfei »

I draw your attention to the ignition & VTC maps: I would to like to first confirm the acronyms to prevent doubt.

1. Ignition (In Cam +) = Ignition point in Degrees before TDC (Top Dead Centre), when "Inlet Cam is fully advanced" ?
2. Ignition (In Cam - ) = Ignition point in Degrees before TDC (Top Dead Centre), when "Inlet Cam is fully retarded" ?
3. Ignition (Ex Cam + ) = Ignition point in Degrees before TDC (Top Dead Centre), when "Exhaust Cam is fully advanced" ?
4. Ignition (In Cam - & Ex Cam + ) = Ignition point in Degrees before TDC (Top Dead Centre), when "Inlet Cam is fully retarded" & "Exhaust Cam is fully advanced" ?

5. Ignition (VTEC )(In Cam +) = Ignition point in Degrees before TDC (Top Dead Centre), when "Inlet Cam is fully advanced" & VTS (VTEC Spool Valve) is ON ?
6. Ignition (VTEC )(In Cam - ) = Ignition point in Degrees before TDC (Top Dead Centre), when "Inlet Cam is fully retarded" & VTS is ON ?
7. Ignition (VTEC )(Ex Cam + ) = Ignition point in Degrees before TDC (Top Dead Centre), when "Exhaust Cam is fully advanced" & VTS is ON ?
8. Ignition (VTEC )(In Cam - & Ex Cam + ) = Ignition point in Degrees before TDC (Top Dead Centre), when "Inlet Cam is fully retarded" & "Exhaust Cam is fully advanced" & VTS is ON ?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Given the permutations & combinations above, my questions are as follows;

A. Where is the ignition table for "Exhaust Cam in retard" positions ? (As the VTC Exhaust Cam Table, has many many negative values - which suggest retard positions)
B. At most points, I noticed that on the sensor window, the "IGN (Ignition?) does not show numbers" equating to the 8 ignition tables above. I understand that they are supposed to be an interpolation of tables 1 to 4 (when VTEC is off), and tables 5 to 8 (when VTEC is ON), but they are not. And I do not see any ignition compensation value, beside the Knock Retard Table.
C. What is Knock Level? E.g. what does 143% mean? When should I be concerned?

Oh by the way, the Traction Control is awesome!!! :-)
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Tuning Ignition Maps on the FK8

Post by Hondata »

Yes, your descriptions are accurate.

A. There are only 8 ignition tables as you listed.
B. It should do. When I look at a calibration and datalog they match. Remember that there is going to be some retard from temperature usually, sothe datalogged value is often 3 degrees under the table value.
C. Not very useful. Look for any knock retard.

With ignition tables either make all the same (stock at almost identical) or apply the same change to all tables. I prefer the later.
Hondata
leechihfei

Post by leechihfei »

Hi Hondata,

In regards to my question A: "Where is the ignition table for "Exhaust Cam in retard" positions ?
(As the VTC Exhaust Cam Table, has many many negative values - which suggest retard positions)". I don't see this table.

So to alleviate my curiosity and settle my mind, on "exhaust cam in retard positions", where did the names of these 8 table come from - and why was "exhaust cam in retard positions" left out?

Thank you.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

There are only 8 tables. There is no 'ex cam (-)' table. You would have to ask Bosch why this is so.
Hondata
leechihfei

Post by leechihfei »

Thank you for clarifying - I will try to contact them.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I don't think Bosch is going to be very forthcoming.
Hondata
trailslide

Post by trailslide »

can you offer some practical guidance on how to tune the ignition tables?
or atleast try to optimize it from the hondata basemap
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Unless you have some experience tuning a forced induction vehicle on the dyno I would not change the ignition values. However if you do tune the ignition, look at the knock retard during a dyno pull and make sure the retard is not over a couple of degrees for a short duration. Also you need to monitor the increase in power from adding ignition and not advance the ignition if the power gains are minimal.
Hondata
trailslide

Post by trailslide »

thank you i was specifically asking more about how to approach the different ignition tables.

let's say in VTEC , how do you approach tuning these 4 ignition tables? do you leave the cruise part alone, and mainly tune the boost part? that seems to be the strategy in the different basemaps.
Why is there a need for this table? Ignition (VTEC )(In Cam - & Ex Cam + )

in the ignition table, + value is advance, - value is retard?

in the tuning notes you mentioned the opposite value for the VTC table, so i'm wondering if ignition table is the other way around?
"It is important to note that the Bosch VTC table and datalog values are reversed from previous ECUs. A negative value indicates advance, a positive value indicates retard, for both intake and exhaust camshafts."

just trying to get some clarification and knowledge, thank you !!