Need some help reading datalog

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
Korey

Need some help reading datalog

Post by Korey »

Hello,

I'm new to using a FlashPro, and I'm trying to use it to help me understand more about what is going on in my car. I have a datalog from driving around that is from a 2018 Type-R with the 93 Octane flash. I didn't enable anything else besides traction control (ethanol 10% was enabled by default, and we have that here).

I'm trying to understand knock retard. I see a few sections where it goes to 8 degrees for Knock Retard 4 (which I assume is cylinder 4?), but knock control remains at 0. The Knock Retard remains at 0 or 1 the whole time, which confuses me further.

Can someone please take a look? I'm attaching the calibration, the datalog, and here's the timestamp I am curious about.

snapshot.PNG
snapshot.PNG (60.46 KiB) Viewed 4866 times

Thank you!
Attachments
93Octane.fpcal
(17.4 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
datalog0000.fpdl
(3.83 MiB) Downloaded 198 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Need some help reading datalog

Post by Hondata »

The FK8 does not have overall knock retard, so ignore K.Retard, but does have individual cylinder retard, so look at K.Retard.1 to K.Retard.4

You're getting a lot of retard. I'd switch to the 91 octane calibration until you can work out what is causing the knock. It is like you have 89 octane fuel in there.
Hondata
Korey

Post by Korey »

Thank you for the response!

As a precaution prior to getting a response I re-flashed to "stock equivalent" and filled up at a different gas station. I then did a few short runs while watching on my laptop the K.Retard 1-4 values. The K.Retard stayed at 0 the entire time. I also logged my drive to and from work today and I only saw one brief blip on K.Retard 4 on the drive home:
Stock Drive Home.PNG
Stock Drive Home.PNG (34.45 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
I'm going to try the 91 Octane flash this weekend and do a very short run while watching my laptop and see if I see any K.Retard creeping up.

My thought process right now is that I have bad gas in the tank, since the car seems isn't any noisier or rougher than normal (The DI chatter is as noisy as it was on my last car, but otherwise it's silent).

I'll also attach the drive to home where I got K.Retard in the picture just for posterity in case anyone is curious.
Attachments
Stock - Drive to Home.fpdl
(4.11 MiB) Downloaded 147 times
Stock Equivalent - Run.fpdl
(2.06 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
Korey

Post by Korey »

I just wanted to update this thread and hopefully ask one more question to help me understand more. Since this initial post I did the following:

- Filled up with 93 octane from a different station (mentioned in my second post)[/list]
- When the tank was close to empty (just before fuel light came on), I put in some octane booster and refilled up with 93 again.
- I flashed the base 91 map (no traction control, left the mods as is).
- Watched for any knock retard, I saw none even under full throttle (not surprised, since it was probably 95+ octane).
- I then drove that gas tank to empty and filled up again.

Which brings me to my current tank, still the same 91 flash. I have driven back and forth to work a few times (no knock retard), but recently I did one run on a reasonably nice day (71F out, low humidity) as well as a drive in a very hot day (95+ F). I am going to attach my calibration, as well as my logs again.

Bottom line: I have seen three instances of knock retard (4 degrees on cylinders 1, 3, and 4 but not all at once) and I am curious if that is "okay" or should I still be concerned? I am basically trying to understand what is "acceptable knock retard" or not. Is there anything else I should watch besides:

Knock Retard 1 - 4
Fuel Pump Duty (shooting for under 100%)
A/F (I assume I want it below 14.7:1 under full throttle, presumably closer to 12-13ish)

Example "nice" day under full throttle:
snapshot-91.PNG
snapshot-91.PNG (56.47 KiB) Viewed 4653 times

Thank you, I know this is a lot of words, and I would be happy to clarify any specifics.
Attachments
91 Flash.fpcal
(17.44 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
91 Oct - Hot Day.fpdl
(6.82 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
91 Drive Home.fpdl
(2.75 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Some knock retard at full load and ~6000rpm+ is ok.

AF is not as critical with direct injection and more people have problems making it too rich (misfires) than too lean.

With the fuel pump remember that the duty is based from a solenoid controlling a valve on the pump driven by a cam, so the duty is not linear since the cam has a profile that is not a triangle. eg 90% is not 90% of available fuel, it is more like 97% or all fuel. So if you peak at 90% fuel pump duty that is fine.

Temperatures are high - do you have an intake? (hint: stock intake performs best when it is hot).
Hondata
Korey

Post by Korey »

Thank you for the response!
Hondata wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 pm Some knock retard at full load and ~6000rpm+ is ok.
I think I understand.

To restate: I would assume then that the instances I see in "91 Drive Home" are *ok* because they are all under full load and over 4,000 RPM, and if I see an instance at below 6,000 RPM not under full load it would be concerning.

I'd also assume the number should be as low as possible, but I can't prevent all of it.
Hondata wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 pm eg 90% is not 90% of available fuel, it is more like 97% or all fuel.
Ok, I think this makes sense with what I've been seeing. I sometimes see spikes above 90% under full load (93 - 95%), but it always settles down after, and only on the 93 flash initially did I see it hitting 100%.
Hondata wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 pm Temperatures are high - do you have an intake? (hint: stock intake performs best when it is hot).
I don't, car is totally stock outside of the tune. If you're referring to the data log from the hot day, it was seriously hot for this area. I had driven the car 20 miles and was driving back home after it sat in the sun for a half hour. I know it was a high of 99F, and it was at least 95+ all day.

I see intake temperatures closer to the "91 Drive Home" datalog regularly.
Korey

Post by Korey »

Ok, I am still trying to understand what is causing my knock retard, and why I seem to get it randomly even though I am running a 91 Octane basemap flash on a stock car with 93 Octane.

91 Rip Home 3rd gear.fpdl
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 155 times

This is a drive home where I use 3rd gear several times at WOT. I did this as a test, because I know that 1st and 2nd aren't full power. I get 4 degrees of knock retard on cylinder 1, but when I use 3rd gear *after* that a second time I get 0 degrees of knock retard.

Then yesterday I drove home tired in comfort mode. I had enough energy to press datalog and stare at the back of the Mitsubishi crossover in front of me and do 36MPH forever.

91 Octane Comfort Mode.fpdl
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 144 times

I see that I got 4 degrees of knock retard at 1 MPH.

I have two questions:

- Is the 4 degrees of knock retard on my 3rd gear WOT run safe, or should I pull back the air charge, timing, or otherwise adjust the basemap?
- If it's not safe, what else should I check with my car besides bad gas? Pull the plugs? Buy an aftermarket intercooler? I don't have any mods, so I am at a loss.

Thanks, as always I appreciate any help.
Attachments
91 Rip.PNG
91 Rip.PNG (69.3 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Sayanythng

Post by Sayanythng »

I’m having a slight 4% retard running 91 octane high flow cat. Cars filled with 92 octane did you ever find out your answer?
Eventuri v2 intake
Stock intercooler
Rv6 catted downpipe
Invidia r400 exhaust