New Traction Control

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
jeffx

New Traction Control

Post by jeffx »

Hi,
I've been doing some testing with the new software Traction Control feature and overall it's been great.

One thing I (and a few other FK8 owners) have noticed though is that there's a pronounced bog if you launch the car (for a 0-60 or 1/4 mile run, for example) with the software traction control activated. I have tried changing some of the torque maps around as well as a few other things, but are there any pointers about how to optimize this feature so it doesn't result in such a severe a bog? The log files show the throttle plate snapping closed for a moment after the clutch is released and the car lurches.

If you disable the Hondata Traction Control feature in R mode with the full VSA disable, there is no bog, but of course there is a lot of wheelspin.

It's pretty easy to check this but I can add logfiles if necessary.

Thanks!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: New Traction Control

Post by Spunkster »

It sounds like this is the VSA and not the Traction control that is causing this. The only thing you can do is disable the VSA.
jeffx

Post by jeffx »

Spunkster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:59 pm It sounds like this is the VSA and not the Traction control that is causing this. The only thing you can do is disable the VSA.
Exactly. Except even when you defeat the VSA, the factory traction control seems to be kicking in when launching with the Hondata TC system enabled. If you turn off the Hondata TC system via the cruise switch, then it behaves again as expected.

To summarize:
With VSA OFF (long press, "full defeat") in R mode:
Cruise Main: On - (Hondata TC disabled) - no bog, but of course, no traction control and excessive wheelspin (factory TC is definitely OFF).
Cruise Main: Off - (Hondata TC enabled) - immediate bog at launch, which seems to be due to intervention of factory (slow torque/throttle cut) TC. Hondata TC functional after that
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Post your calibration as well as a Datalog showing the issue.
jeffx

Post by jeffx »

Spunkster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:43 pm Post your calibration as well as a Datalog showing the issue.
Here are the files. Just made some quick passes in +R mode with VSA fully defeated. The calibration is a standard Hondata calibration with full torque gears 1-6. I have tried all sorts of calibrations with the same results, but to eliminate any variables I started using standard calibrations and added the TCS function and enhanced torque.

as you can see, in the logfile labeled TCM_off, the throttle plate stays open until I lift my foot (lots of spin and some wheelhop)

in the logfile labeled TCM_on, the throttle plate closes even with my foot planted. The only difference in these two runs is that I engaged Hondata traction control via the cruise switch.
Attachments
Launch_bog_TCM_off.fpdl
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Launch_bog_TCM_on.fpdl
(29.95 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Hondata 93 TCS 3.0.tcs.ft.fpcal
(17.41 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

1. FYI Even with factory VSA switched off the factory TC still operates.
2. The throttle is not closing but the ignition is retarding.
3. You need to increase the 'Traction Control launch slip value' table.
Hondata
jeffx

Post by jeffx »

Hondata wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 am 1. FYI Even with factory VSA switched off the factory TC still operates.
2. The throttle is not closing but the ignition is retarding.
3. You need to increase the 'Traction Control launch slip value' table.
1. Yes. It is quite nominal with the "track mode" VSA defeat in R mode, however. With Hondata TCM disabled there is no throttle plate closing during wheelspin. Interestingly it seems that the boost is cut and timing might be pulled in this mode, though.
2. Sorry, I probably attached a bad example logfile. Check this other one. You can clearly see the throttle plate closing while the throttle pedal remains at 100%.
3. This is one of the variables that I have tested, to no apparent improvement. I will try some more aggressive settings to see if it helps.
Attachments
LaunchBog2.fpdl
(15.72 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
jeffx

Post by jeffx »

Attached is the graph where you can see the throttle plate closing to 24% while maintaining foot to the floor.
launchbog2.jpg
launchbog2.jpg (183.97 KiB) Viewed 10601 times
jeffx

Post by jeffx »

And on this chart, the Hondata TCM is disabled via the Cruise main switch. As you can see the "track mode" VSA defeat allows pretty much unlimited wheelspin without any throttle plate intervention.
launch_bog_TCM_off.jpg
launch_bog_TCM_off.jpg (218.9 KiB) Viewed 10601 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I'll at this when I can, but in the meantime you might want to upgrade to 3.3.4 as it will allow the slip and retard to be datalogged for traction control.
Hondata
jeffx

Post by jeffx »

Question - the system uses which sensors to detect vehicle speed? Is it based off of the rear wheel abs sensors, or the actual VSS? If it is VSS it seems like it might be problematic if you have thresholds set and the VSS is inflated due to wheelspin? Just trying to figure out what could be happening under these conditions.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

No it is all 4 ABS sensors.
Hondata
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

These are the values we came up with for the launch slip value table
Speed 0 20 40 60 80 kph
Slip 85 63 45 27 0
Hondata
jeffx

Post by jeffx »

Thank you,
I haven't tested these numbers on my own car yet because I couldn't but I asked a friend to try it (who also experienced the bog problem) and he said it made a big difference. Looking at his logs (and 0-60 times), it does seem like a massive improvement. I will try to test these tomorrow on my car and report back.
jasonjm

Post by jasonjm »

So are there new recommended values or is base map values for TC ok?