New Traction Control

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
david1224

Re: New Traction Control

Post by david1224 »

Hi hondata , i want to learn more about the traction control, currently i am using default 3% slip and 3 mph on my fk8 . So will it be better if i increase to 6% slip be better ? which most people recommended . thank you
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

All I can do is suggest that you try it and see how it works for you. You can always change it back.
david1224

Post by david1224 »

okok i will give both a try , and what is the difference with high value of slip and mph ? sorry new to the system here . thank you
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

higher value for slip allows more slip. The MPH is the minimum speed needed to activate.
ayau

Post by ayau »

It seems like when you break traction in Sport mode with all driving assists on (VSA, Hondata TC), the ECU will retard ignition as well as close the throttle plate. I'm on the default 3mph 3% slip values. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to just retard ignition but not close the throttle plate without disabling VSA? In other words, can I completely disable 'slow torque' in all modes and situations?
2. At what slip % does VSA kick in and close the throttle plate?

I've attached a log to show both ignition retard and throttle plate closing were kicking in. See the 2nd gear part of the graph.
Attachments
08122020-sport-vsa-on.fpdl
(28.73 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can't selectively disable parts of VSA.

VSA is complicated and we do not have any control over how it works, as it is integrated into multiple systems including the ABS.
Sayanythng

Post by Sayanythng »

ayau wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:09 pm It seems like when you break traction in Sport mode with all driving assists on (VSA, Hondata TC), the ECU will retard ignition as well as close the throttle plate. I'm on the default 3mph 3% slip values. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to just retard ignition but not close the throttle plate without disabling VSA? In other words, can I completely disable 'slow torque' in all modes and situations?
2. At what slip % does VSA kick in and close the throttle plate?

I've attached a log to show both ignition retard and throttle plate closing were kicking in. See the 2nd gear part of the graph.
Have you found a solution? Increase slip %? Manually disable traction control? Happens to me in 2nd gear pulls. Vsa light blinks and ignition retards. Super lame
ayau

Post by ayau »

I think increasing slip % will just reduce the interference with the factory VSA system, but the VSA will engage just as early.

I’m not really sure if having the 2 systems running at the same time is good or bad overall.
Sayanythng

Post by Sayanythng »

ayau wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:10 pm I think increasing slip % will just reduce the interference with the factory VSA system, but the VSA will engage just as early.

I’m not really sure if having the 2 systems running at the same time is good or bad overall.
Sorry increasing the slip % is the solution? I’ve been told to reduce torque in second gear over and over again but that’s all the info I get, I see the value charts
ayau

Post by ayau »

Sayanythng wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:24 pm
ayau wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:10 pm I think increasing slip % will just reduce the interference with the factory VSA system, but the VSA will engage just as early.

Sorry increasing the slip % is the solution? I’ve been told to reduce torque in second gear over and over again but that’s all the info I get, I see the value charts
I think your issue is different than mine.

I was just curious to see if you could disable the factory VSA when running the Hondata TC system. You’ll just have to disable it manually each time by holding the VSA button down while in +R mode. This doesn’t solve the problem with the lack of grip from the front tires, which I believe is your issue.
LexieGrayRose_FK8

Post by LexieGrayRose_FK8 »

so am wondering what is the best recommended solution which works...with Hondata TC enabled and to enable this do you have to do something or is it automatically on once the software is loaded into vehicle

I see people talking about cruise button on or off

I was under impression initially that Hondata hijacked the VSA system but instead uses ignition retarding, is that the case or am I missing something?

I set the default TC and I am getting a lot of cut outs so seems when ever I am encountering high slip it cuts back power a bit too much...is there something I can change to change this effect ?

Thanks in advance for all and any feedback on this issue.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You must make sure that it is enabled in the calibration you upload.

When enabled it can be turned off an on by turning on the cruise main.

We do not alter the factory VSA with the traction control.

Try allowing more slip and see if that resolves the issue.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Is this in 1st or 2nd gear? Reduce the torque request. Even in 3rd you may need to.
Hondata
LexieGrayRose_FK8

Hondata wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:26 pm Is this in 1st or 2nd gear? Reduce the torque request. Even in 3rd you may need to.
Yes exactly does in first and 2nd and sometimes in 3rd, do you have any recommendation in increments to dial down and re-check,,,,car is running great aside from that so will look into doing this, Thanks .
Spunkster wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:52 pm You must make sure that it is enabled in the calibration you upload.

When enabled it can be turned off an on by turning on the cruise main.

We do not alter the factory VSA with the traction control.

Try allowing more slip and see if that resolves the issue.
Ok sounds good, will check and verify that it is enabled and yes I did not mess with slip yet and left it untouched initially, I will look into allowing more slip. Appreciate the feedback guys, Thank you!
LexieGrayRose_FK8

okay changed my % in wheel spin to 7% and for me personally this is perfect, no more cutouts felt in any gear !!! Such a huge difference from the 3% I previously had.