TSP Stage 1 Canned Tune for Flashpro - Please advise if The Tune is Safe?

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
arnoldod

TSP Stage 1 Canned Tune for Flashpro - Please advise if The Tune is Safe?

Post by arnoldod »

I recently purchased TSP Stage 1 Hondata Flashpro tune for 2016+ Civic 1.5T Non-SI.

I always use RON 98 fuel, which I believe should equal with 91-93 octane US fuel. The car is only 1.5 months old and its mileage is relatively low at 756 km when I flashed the tune.

I never purchased a canned tune in the past as I prefer dyno tune. I recently found out that most of tuners in my country do not bother to really create a custom tune on the dyno for the car but rather reflash Hondata basemap and called it a day.

Throttle and turbo response improved compared to basemap. On the basemaps, boost would only start at 2500+ RPM & felt a little dragging. Boost and throttle seem to be more linear with TSP Stage 1.

Responsiveness is improved and lag I experienced less lag with TSP Stage 1 compare to basemap and TSP Stage 1 tune is somewhat smoother than basemap, in a very controlled and refined way. The car feels more agile, but not in an annoying way.

I could rarely do WOT driving on the highway due to bad traffic in my city but I always datalog regardless bad traffic or not. Thankfully, I could do aggressive driving in 1 fine morning (5:30 AM) so I floored it in one occasion.

I went through a few datalogs that I have recorded and I found the following interesting fact:
  • TSP Stage 1 peak boost was 23.7 PSI at 4,488 RPM. Will this be safe for my engine internals knowing that our 1.5T non-SI conrod is not as durable as the SI variant?
  • I took a peak on torque limiter setup and found torque limited goes up higher than Hondata recommendation. Torque limiter at 3500 RPM is 287 nm, 4000 RPM limited to 310 nm, 4500 RPM limited to 300 nm, 5000-7000 RPM limited to 325 nm.
  • Will this be safe for my CVT transmission?
  • Fuel trim is worse than Hondata basemap. Fuel trim with basemap hovering between -10 and -5 at average. TSP Stage 1 hovering between -14 and -7.
I understand that I'm purchasing canned tune and no customized tune is made regardless the environment where I live in that might affects fuel trim and tune.

I wish there is information regarding safe maximum tuned boost that our internal could take and the actual safe torque limit that our CVT could take when tuned.

Due to safety consideration, durability, and longevity of my car, I might have to ditch TSP Stage 1 tune and switch back to Hondata Flashpro basemap with the hope to find tuner to help me refining fuel trim. Driving experience may not be as awesome as TSP stage 1 but at least it meets my requirements.

My considerations are as simple as the 3 facts that I found from datalog.

This is screenshot from datalog:
Attachments
TSP-Stage-1-HM-OFC.fpdl
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 177 times
EFICU

Re: TSP Stage 1 Canned Tune for Flashpro - Please advise if The Tune is Safe?

Post by EFICU »

Hi Arnaldo,

Back where we started, haha. How come you went with a tune from TSP? We had your fueling pretty close to dialed before on the Hondata basemap you had.

Can you post the calibration you received from TSP or send it to me in a PM so I can look it over in conjunction with your datalog?

I don't have enough experience with 10th gens to tell you how much boost they are capable of handling. If I recall, you had a pretty good idea how much boost it was capable of before and were playing with some of the torque settings when we were working on your old tune.

Like before, I can certainly help you dial in the fueling. Let me know.
gcapraz

Post by gcapraz »

dear arnold,

i checked your datalog and it looks fine. dont worry about psi pressure. i m boosting 25 psi with my non-si civic for 20.000km.

but there is one thing that you need to set it which is maf scale setting. easily from v4 to v5 you can adjust %5 up and datalog it again see afr cmd and real afr value how they are close each other.
arnoldod

Post by arnoldod »

EFICU wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 pm Hi Arnaldo,

Back where we started, haha. How come you went with a tune from TSP? We had your fueling pretty close to dialed before on the Hondata basemap you had.

Can you post the calibration you received from TSP or send it to me in a PM so I can look it over in conjunction with your datalog?

I don't have enough experience with 10th gens to tell you how much boost they are capable of handling. If I recall, you had a pretty good idea how much boost it was capable of before and were playing with some of the torque settings when we were working on your old tune.

I purchased TSP Stage 1 tune with the hope that TSP got it right because members in Civic forum recommend so I hope that the fuel trim got fixed.

The adjustment almost close to ideal in rev 3 but somehow knock count is very high as mentioned in the thread. I know knock count is not something to be worried about but there is no knock count using both basemap and TSP. Therefore, there has to be something need to be adjusted to get fuel trim close to ideal with minimum knock count.
gcapraz wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:02 am dear arnold,

i checked your datalog and it looks fine. dont worry about psi pressure. i m boosting 25 psi with my non-si civic for 20.000km.

but there is one thing that you need to set it which is maf scale setting. easily from v4 to v5 you can adjust %5 up and datalog it again see afr cmd and real afr value how they are close each other.

Thank you. Unfortunately, TSP lock the calibration and does not allow customers to edit the calibration. Thus, I can only make adjustment to basemap.

Appreciate if Hondata can enlightened us with their statement regarding 250 nm maximum torque for CVT because Hondata is still showing dyno chart of CVT with torque higher than 250 nm.

Hondata should only show dyno chart showing 250 nm maximum torque as promotion material or put additional note in promo material that tuning torque higher than 250 nm will shortened CVT life.
D-Rob

Post by D-Rob »

Arnaldo,

Please send me an email, and I'm happy to address whatever concerns you have. The MAF scaling is 100% the same as what's included in Hondata's basemaps, which appears to be a little richer than target. I have a MAF scale that should be closer to your needs if you'd like it applied.

I'd like to make note that we made this file for you as a one-off; as your ECU number/market isn't one of the normally supported.

Posting to Hondata's forum isn't the proper facet to have this concern addressed; this isn't a file anyone from Hondata produced.
arnoldod

Post by arnoldod »

D-Rob wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:21 pm Arnaldo,

Please send me an email, and I'm happy to address whatever concerns you have. The MAF scaling is 100% the same as what's included in Hondata's basemaps, which appears to be a little richer than target. I have a MAF scale that should be closer to your needs if you'd like it applied.

I'd like to make note that we made this file for you as a one-off; as your ECU number/market isn't one of the normally supported.

Posting to Hondata's forum isn't the proper facet to have this concern addressed; this isn't a file anyone from Hondata produced.
Hi D-Rob,

Thanks for following up and I totally understand the nature of the service is a one off. I highly appreciate your follow up. Corey had sent an email regarding this feedback and I've been communicating with Corey, as well as providing datalog.

I raise this to the public to encourage people who tune to datalog the tune, regardless who tune their vehicle, as well as encouraging community to actively providing feedback, and collaborate.

I also hope Hondata is willing to continuously develop Flashpro to have complete capability in reading vital ECU monitoring parameters, including fuel trim as I understand fuel trim should be concluded from LTFT and STFT reading combined.
gcapraz

Post by gcapraz »

arnoldod wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:33 am
EFICU wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 pm Hi Arnaldo,

I purchased TSP Stage 1 tune with the hope that TSP got it right because members in Civic forum recommend so I hope that the fuel trim got fixed.

The adjustment almost close to ideal in rev 3 but somehow knock count is very high as mentioned in the thread. I know knock count is not something to be worried about but there is no knock count using both basemap and TSP. Therefore, there has to be something need to be adjusted to get fuel trim close to ideal with minimum knock count.
gcapraz wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:02 am dear arnold,

Thank you. Unfortunately, TSP lock the calibration and does not allow customers to edit the calibration. Thus, I can only make adjustment to basemap.

Appreciate if Hondata can enlightened us with their statement regarding 250 nm maximum torque for CVT because Hondata is still showing dyno chart of CVT with torque higher than 250 nm.

Hondata should only show dyno chart showing 250 nm maximum torque as promotion material or put additional note in promo material that tuning torque higher than 250 nm will shortened CVT life.
dear arnold,

Does your honda have cvt cooler? pls check your driver side around tire ares.

if you have factory cvt cooler, do not worry about torque limitation that hondata said. and open a hole in front bumper same as horn side holes.
if you dont have cvt cooler, stay 250nm torque limitation. you have no other chance to move more than that.
arnoldod

Post by arnoldod »

gcapraz wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:02 am
dear arnold,

if you have factory cvt cooler, do not worry about torque limitation that hondata said. and open a hole in front bumper same as horn side holes.
if you dont have cvt cooler, stay 250nm torque limitation. you have no other chance to move more than that.
I don't have CVT cooler on my car. My thoughts on CVT cooler is that my daily traffic rarely allows me to drive higher than 3000 RPM. I could push the car occasionally and drive at mid RPM range but that might only happens 1-2 times in a month. :)

I follow a member of Civic X forum with CVT with 27Won turbo upgrade with full performance bolt on except CVT cooler. The car's been tuned for awhile and the owner drives the car for both daily driver and occasional race.

The car definitely making more than 250 Nm of torque and we have not seen any issue with the transmission so far.
gcapraz

Post by gcapraz »

arnoldod wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:49 pm
gcapraz wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:02 am
dear arnold,

I don't have CVT cooler on my car. My thoughts on CVT cooler is that my daily traffic rarely allows me to drive higher than 3000 RPM. I could push the car occasionally and drive at mid RPM range but that might only happens 1-2 times in a month. :)

I follow a member of Civic X forum with CVT with 27Won turbo upgrade with full performance bolt on except CVT cooler. The car's been tuned for awhile and the owner drives the car for both daily driver and occasional race.

The car definitely making more than 250 Nm of torque and we have not seen any issue with the transmission so far.
its not the idea who used cvt without cooler with turbo upgrade has no problem with cvt at all. they can be lucky for now. the idea is longevity. if you are thinking to use your car for 6 month and sell it, you are right but otherwise you dont need to push it harder your cvt. if i were you, i limit the torque in 250nm full of rpm range. with that value you can get 24 psi around 5000-6000 rpm with safe area.
arnoldod

Post by arnoldod »

gcapraz wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:02 am its not the idea who used cvt without cooler with turbo upgrade has no problem with cvt at all. they can be lucky for now. the idea is longevity. if you are thinking to use your car for 6 month and sell it, you are right but otherwise you dont need to push it harder your cvt. if i were you, i limit the torque in 250nm full of rpm range. with that value you can get 24 psi around 5000-6000 rpm with safe area.
I don't think I have the access to modify TSP Stage 1 calibration as the calibration is locked. The only way I could change the torque limit is by going back to the basemap.