'18 Hatch Sport MT - 93 Octane in Ohio

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
zac.zavakos

'18 Hatch Sport MT - 93 Octane in Ohio

Post by zac.zavakos »

Hi all,

I'm having a blast with the +9 map on my Sport MT, but I've got a nagging feeling I could get a little more out of it.

Obviously the base maps were made with 91 Octane. In Ohio, I always run 93. So, I'm wondering what little tweaks I could make to get that little extra grunt (as if it needs more, I know).

I also notice that when in boost, the Knock Retard jumps to 5-8 degrees on the datalogs. Maybe turning this down a bit might help?

Other observation: Noticeable difference in power from the morning at 60 deg F, to the afternoon at 80-85 deg F. IAT temps go from 65 in the AM to just over 100 in the afternoon. I'm sure this is causing some ignition timing to be pulled as well. So maybe on the higher octane, I'd be safe to make this a little more aggressive as well?

I am very cautious when it comes to timing, though, as I have watched these engines melt holes through the pistons (best case) when the timing map was not ironed out.

Side note: Still no updated Sport Hatch US MT for 2018 on new versions of Flashpro. Do I keep using 2017 base map, or go to generic 2018 MT?

Thanks all, I know there's a mess of questions there.
2021 Civic Sport Hatch MT (US)
2021 HR-V....why (US)
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: '18 Hatch Sport MT - 93 Octane in Ohio

Post by Hondata »

If you watch the knock control then you should see it drop with 93 octane. Probably should be 55%. So the ECU compensates for higher octane fuel.

Some knock retard is normal, even without knock, because of the way the Honda knock control works.

The 2017 and 2018 vehicles are the same so you can use the calibrations interchangeably.
Hondata
zac.zavakos

Re: '18 Hatch Sport MT - 93 Octane in Ohio

Post by zac.zavakos »

Thanks for the response,

Knock Control is usually low 50s to 60%. It's a fun way to figure out which gas around here is junk. Definitely not all "93"
2021 Civic Sport Hatch MT (US)
2021 HR-V....why (US)