Engine dynamometer testing

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
joemac

Engine dynamometer testing

Post by joemac »

We have a very unusual application. We are using the Honda 1.5L Turbo as a "test mule" for fundamental combustion and emissions studies, and we are doing this independently (i.e., no Honda support). We currently have two ways of running the engine on an AC engine dyno:

1. Using the OEM ECU and calibration with the engine and ECU remotely tethered to the wiring harness of a complete vehicle (Honda Civic) located in an adjacent laboratory room and with vehicle feedback signals emulated (e.g., vehicle speed, etc.) to simulate vehicle operation while we are testing on the engine dyno.

2. Using a Pi Innovo stand-alone ECU with our own calibration for the Honda 1.5 turbo engine and for experimental hardware configurations added to the engine.

We set the experiments up this way so that we can do A-B experimental comparisons back to an OEM Honda configuration, and it works but as you might expect, operating tethered is a major pain in the posterior. I have experience calibrating using standalone tools (Pi, ATI Vision and ETAS INCA), but I have no experience with FlashPro. Is it possible to turn off enough of the ECU software "handshakes" back to the vehicle using FlashPro so that we can operate un-tethered from the chassis with just the necessary signals emulated back to the ECU so that the OEM calibration (or your version of OEM - which we could generate data to validate back to the OEM calibration) could run without throwing dozens of codes and going into limp mode?

Thanks,

Joe
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Engine dynamometer testing

Post by Spunkster »

I'm sorry, but the FlashPro needs the entire vehicle to operate. There is no way to disable all the needed items.
joemac

Re: Engine dynamometer testing

Post by joemac »

That was my initial thought, but no harm in asking.